Monday, September 3, 2018

The Book Lover's Den No. 30: I LOVE 'Dark Blogs', and I Cannot Lie!




Welcome to my renewed literary musing feature! I have decided 
to post it on Mondays now!



In each weekly post, I explore 
my thoughts on several 
book-related topics.



This Week's Topic
 Contrary to most (book) bloggers, 
I much prefer to use a dark 
background with light text 
for my posts. 
I explain why below.  



When I use the term "dark blog", I'm not referring to blogs dealing with the horror genre and other fear-inducing subject matter. Instead, I'm referring to the background color of the posts, as well as to the overall design of the blog. 

At the time I first started this book blog, back in 2010, I had to make some decisions as to its design. After all, part of the total effect of a blog -- whatever its subject matter might be -- is its design. A blog is a combination of the written posts and the visual aspect. Neither is more important than the other, in my honest opinion.

From the very beginning, I always gravitated toward a dark background, with light text. Yes, I've read the online articles that state that this combination is not easy on the eyes. I beg to differ. I find it much easier to read blog posts with a dark background and light text. But that's just me. Most bloggers would say the opposite. The blogosphere is the ultimate free expression scenario, so all approaches to blogging are welcomed. I am by no means stating that blogs with dark backgrounds on posts are "better" than those with light or white backgrounds. Heck, I visit several blogs on a regular basis, and most of them have white or light-colored post backgrounds. Although I must admit that reading these blogs is a bit hard on my eyes, I still visit them, read their posts, and comment on them. So, in case anyone reading this gets the idea that I am categorically stating that blogs with dark backgrounds are "superior" to those with white backgrounds, then they are reading into this post something that I haven't put into it. 

The reason for this topic today is that I've come across such categorically rigid statements on a couple of other blogs. These shall remain nameless. One of these bloggers has actually attacked the use of dark backgrounds on blog posts. Now, there's no need to do this. As I have stated above, there's room for all types of blog designs on the blogosphere. So I felt it necessary to put in a plug for blogs with dark backgrounds. 

Some of the Internet articles I read regarding dark backgrounds have also stated that, since books have black text on white backgrounds, blogs should use the same combination of text and background colors. I totally disagree with this! Reading a book -- specifically a printed book -- is not the same thing as reading on a computer screen, so the two experiences should not be equated. (This goes for reading ebooks, as well, but somehow I don't see these being published with dark backgrounds and light text, lol.) Yes, I do think it's easier to read a printed book that has black text on a white background. The same does not hold true for me when reading on a computer screen. I reiterate that, for me, it's much easier to read light, or white, text on a dark background.

Another objection offered by these Internet articles is that most visitors to blogs with dark backgrounds will visit once, and never return, precisely because of the dark background on posts. So I'm at a disadvantage here. However, I'm not going to capitulate and change my style. If I get fewer visitors and comments, so be it. I have to go with what makes me feel comfortable.

On the other hand....some of the blogs with dark backgrounds I've visited (and listed below) have gotten a LOT of  comments, and many of those comments have been made by bloggers whose own blogs have white backgrounds, with black text. So I'm thinking that this "objection" doesn't really apply.

Another aspect of most blogs with white backgrounds that I've visited is their minimalist design. Again, this is not my thing at all. I am a very visual person, so I want lots of colorful images on my blog. I have recently tried to tone this down a bit, but I don't want to suddenly "go minimalist". It's just not me. Again, those who appreciate my style will gravitate toward my blog. Those who don't, well, "it is what it is"! Lol.

In earlier years, I used to include different-colored fonts in my posts, too. That's another thing I've toned down. My "Shelf Candy Saturday" posts, for example, are no longer "color-coded" according to the main color on a book cover. The text for these posts is now white.  The post "headline", though (not the title) is now a light blue.

Another reason for my preference for dark backgrounds is that, although I am an eclectic reader, I do review mostly paranormal romance and urban fantasy on this blog. Thus, a dark background is entirely appropriate. Of course, not all blogs that review these genres have dark backgrounds. That's entirely up to each book blogger. Still, a lot of the blogs with dark backgrounds that I have visited do tend to  review these genres. 

Yet another reason I prefer a dark background is that book covers really stand out against such a background. And I know I'm not the first person to realize that any image really stands out, when placed against a dark background. I refer readers to my most recent "Shelf Candy Saturday" post, in which I featured the cover of the novel Circe, by Madeline Miller. That cover has a black background, and the bold design on it totally pops! Take a look at the image below. For more information about this book, click on the image, which will take you to the Goodreads page.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35959740-circe?ac=1&from_search=true


As part of my SCS post, I referenced an image, as well as some links, of ancient Greek pottery, which had predominantly dark backgrounds and orange-toned figures. The effect is just stunning; there's no question about it! And this was the style that influenced the cover above. If you would like to read the full SCS post, just click HERE.

One last point: one of my favorite bloggers uses a gray-green background for his posts, with light gray text. He uses a light blue for any quotes he includes in his posts. I find this entirely wonderful and enjoyable! And, by the way, I LOVE reading his posts, which are always interesting and well-written. He always gets a lot of comments on them, too. You will find his name and blog name at the top of the list below. 

Here's a list of book blogs with dark or black backgrounds, and light text. Except for the top one, created by the aforementioned blogger, who is also a friend, they are in no particular order. I LOVE all of these blog designs, as well! (Sadly, some of these blogs are not active at present. But that's not due to visitors not liking their dark backgrounds, but to the bloggers having life-related problems, such as interfering work and/or school schedules, that have made it impossible for them to continue blogging.)


Wrapping things up, I say the old motto of "Live and let live" applies here. Those who prefer blogs with white backgrounds and dark or black text, more power to them! Just don't criticize or attack those of us who prefer the opposite. One style is not superior to the other. There's room for all kinds of opinions on blog design, on the blogosphere, the ultimate bastion of free expression!
 
 

What are your thoughts on
 this topic?
Please leave me a comment
and let me know!

NOTE
This post is the personal opinion
of this blogger. If you wish to submit an opposing comment, please remain
respectful while doing so.
Otherwise, your comment will
be deleted. Thank you.






13 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the mention and the good word Maria. Though I think that my blog could use a freshening up, I am happy with the color scheme. By coincidence, I hand recently discovered Memory Alpha, it is an online encyclopedia of all things Star Trek, for thier desktop view they use a similar color scheme. Oddly if you visit the site on a mobile device, the colors are different.

    I think thaf one needs to take some of this online advice with a grain of salt. Your blog is simply the best looking book blog that I know. It also fits your personality. The text is no way hard on the eyes. I do kind blue a lot so that of course influences my view.

    Thanks for posting those links. I will now check out the other sites that you linked to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Brian!

      You're very welcome! :) I've always enjoyed your blog posts, and I think your design is very appropriate for the types of genres you deal with.

      OMG!! Thanks for letting me know about this website!!! I just checked it out, and yes, I LOVE the design and colors! The only thing I don't like is that manga, "Shinobi Striker", they have as a background to the main blog area. I realize it's an ad, but, since it has NOTHING to do with any of the Star Trek series, it really shouldn't be there. Oh, well....

      I've noticed that, on some blogs, the cell phone view doesn't have the same colors. I wonder why. My blog retains its colors in the cell phone view. Hmmmm....

      I guess I should indeed take this "advice" about white vs. dark backgrounds with a grain of salt. I have found some articles regarding the positive aspects of dark blogs, however.

      Thank you so much for the compliment on my blog!! It's SO nice of you to say that!! <3 <3 I do think this blog fits my personality. I am not a very traditional type of person, so any blog design that is too "restrained" is not my thing at all, lol. Heck, even my other blog, which is supposed deals with classics, literary fiction, and nonfiction, is not that "restrained", either. I LOVE bright colors! The other blog has a lot of gray in it, but then there's the header, plus the background has a very dynamic pattern. OF COURSE, the color blue, which is my favorite, predominates on A NIGHT'S DREAM OF BOOKS!! SO glad you love this color, too!! :) :) I think this color is a very appropriate one for the nocturnal theme I have. And I'm SO glad you don't find the text to be a strain on your eyes at all!

      You're very welcome for the links! When you visit these blogs, you'll notice that three of them -- LUNAR RAINBOWS, A MYRIAD OF BOOKS, and THE BOOK PIXIE, are no longer active. I think these bloggers had to abandon their blogs because of such life activities as college homework, or perhaps their jobs. I feel so sad about this.... I was good friends with Kat, the blogger @ A MYRIAD OF BOOKS. I know she mentioned her coursework being a problem. Of course, her studies had to take priority. Something similar must have happened to the other bloggers who are currently MIA.

      Thank you for the WONDERFUL comment, Brian!! Hope you had a nice Labor Day weekend, and will have a GREAT week ahead!! We had a lot of rain over here, because of Tropical Storm Gordon, which has moved away from the South Florida area. <3 :)

      Delete
    2. P.S. I just remembered -- one of your favorite blogs, that you have listed in your sidebar under the heading "Blogs and Sites that I Like" is a dark blog. It's CARAVANA DE RECUERDOS. I just took a look. I LOVE it!! Gotta make a point of visiting this blog. It's a very literary fiction type of blog, too, so that blogger would likely prefer my other blog, MINDSPIRIT BOOK JOURNEYS.

      Delete
  2. And I heartily endorse your article! While I am one of those 'white background black text bloggers' I completely support your right to display your articles as you wish. I enjoy visiting your blog and think it's really attractive. I like the design and I'm sure it reflects your personality.

    And that's the point, isn't it? We all choose to present our blogs in the way that we think works - firstly for us and then for our visitors. I do find it disappointing when bloggers choose to criticise each others' choices. There are blogs I find less successful - those that are difficult to navigate tend to be my bugbear. But if I enjoy reading the articles, I put up with it. I don't walk into someone's home and then tell them how much I hate the decor and furniture, why would I do the same about a blog?? It's rude!

    Have a great week, Maria and thank for, as ever, an interesting and enjoyable read:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sarah!

      Thank you so much for your supportive words, as well as for praising my blog!! I'm just not comfortable with a white background, but, as I stated in this post, everyone has the right, as well as the freedom, to design their blog any way they want to. I do think my blog reflects my personality. I'm a very visual person, so images and bold design are very important to me. And being "restrained" and "minimalist" are just not my thing at all, lol.

      I really like your blog, by the way!! My favorite aspect of it is that header! Oh, I LOVE it!! But I also like how you use space on your posts, and the images you have. Plus, of course, I LOVE the content!! <3 <3

      The bloggers who have criticized the use of dark backgrounds with light text didn't mention any specific blogs. One of these two bloggers stated the following in one of their blog posts: "I'm more about the content, but I don't really like looking at ones with black backgrounds where it's hard to read." At least this person wasn't that hyper-critical. They simply stated that they found blogs with black backgrounds hard to read. I had visited their blog in the past. After I read that statement, though, I stopped doing so, because I knew they wouldn't be returning my comments. The second blogger, though, published a post that was an out-and-out RANT against blogs with dark backgrounds. I had been friends with this blogger, too, and participated in some events on their blog. I never said anything to this person, but, of course, I stopped interacting with them completely. There really is no need for this sort of thing!

      I LOVE your analogy of not walking into someone's home and telling them you hate the decor and furniture! GREAT comparison! Well, this second blogger didn't mention any specific blogs, but still, that post was not a pleasant read. It shocked me, too, precisely because I had interacted quite a bit with this person in the past.

      Well, I'm very happy and grateful that there are nice, sweet fellow bloggers on the blogosphere -- like you, Brian, and Wendy!!

      Hope you have a GREAT week, as well!! Thank you SO much for such a lovely, WONDERFUL comment!! HUGS!!! <3 <3 <3 :) :) :)

      Delete
  3. We all have our preferences for what we like and don't like--can tolerate or not. That goes for just about everything, doesn't it? Coffee, rainy days, the color pink . . . I think we have to do what works best for us, regardless of what others may think. As Brian said, it's best to take such criticism with a grain of salt.

    I don't care for those posts that list personal pet peeves about blogs. You could say it's my own pet peeve. Haha.

    As a side note, my husband prefers to read everything on his phone on a black background with a light font. I am the opposite. I am talking Twitter or e-mail or texts. Not blogs. I think your blog looks fine--it works for you and fits who you are. That is all that should matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Wendy!

      I'm so glad to have blogger friends like you, Brian, and Sarah!! Yes, indeed, we all have our preferences! And I thank you for stating this: "I think we have to do what works best for us, regardless of what others may think." You've NAILED it!! So, regardless of what any blogger out there might think, I will continue to do my own thing! Lol.

      It's great that you have such a pet peeve. I totally agree -- bloggers should really keep their ideas of what constitutes effective blog design to themselves, even if they don't name any specific blogs. As I wrote to Sarah above, one of the two bloggers who criticized the use of dark backgrounds merely wrote that they didn't like such backgrounds because they found them hard to read. Of course, that means that this blogger would not be interested in coming by and commenting on any of my posts. They had sometimes done so in the past, which is why I was a bit surprised to encounter this statement. As for the other blogger, this person actually wrote a RANT against blogs with dark backgrounds. Now this was totally uncalled for, in my honest opinion. I had interacted quite a bit with this person in the past, too, so I was a bit shocked by this post. Needless to say, I never interacted with them again!

      Yeah, I prefer a dark background with a light font on my phone, too. Lol.

      Thanks so much for the supportive words, Wendy! They mean a lot to me. I will just keep on doing what works best for me, and suits me, as you have so appropriately stated!

      Thank you for the lovely, WONDERFUL comment!! HUGS TO YOU AND MOUSE!!! <3 <3 <3 :) :) :)

      Delete
  4. I used to have a dark blog design. It was the one before my current design (I've had three in total) but I decided to change my previous one because the particular design wasn't relevant anymore to the books I blog about. My header used to have a vampire because I blogged a lot about urban fantasy that featured vampires, now I'm more eclectic. But I still love dark designs though! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Steph!

      Oh, you did? WOW! I never would have known! I wish I had met you when you still had your dark blog! However, I do love your present blog. I especially like your header. That owl is SO cute!

      Most of the dark blogs I've seen are dedicated to paranormal romance and urban fantasy. I'm eclectic, too, but I do feature such books quite a bit. Besides, I wanted an excuse to use blue in my design, since that's my favorite color! Lol.

      I'm glad you still appreciate dark blogs! <3 <3

      Thanks for the GREAT comment!! HUGS!!! <3 <3 <3 :) ;) :)

      Delete
  5. I agree dark backgrounds are easier on the eyes and I have suffered with blepharitis. Now I use a screen shield on my computer screen. Thank you very much for referring my blog! Grey is a very nice colour if you ask me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jackie!

      OMG, I'm SO sorry....I had not seen this comment before!! :(

      I'm SO glad you agree that dark backgrounds are, indeed, easier on the eyes. I need to google this word, "blepharitis", as it's new to me.

      How interesting that you use a screen shield on your computer screen! I had not heard of this, either. I will DEFINITELY look into this, too!

      You're very welcome for the mention of your blog! And yes, I also agree that grey is a very nice color. It all depends on how you use it. It has a certain air of elegance. too.

      Thanks for the lovely comment!! <3 :)

      Delete
  6. I would also like to mention that I like your blog design 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, again!

      Thank you SO much for the lovely compliment, as well as for commenting again!! HUGS!!! <3 <3 :) :)

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)