Sunday, September 2, 2018

Shelf Candy Saturday No. 260: Circe, by Madeline Miller



Welcome to Shelf Candy Saturday!



***Late Edition***
This is my weekly feature
showcasing beautiful covers!
It also provides information, 
if available, on their 
very talented creators!



Here's my choice for this week!



Circe
Madeline Miller
Hardcover, 400 pages
Little, Brown, and Company
April 10, 2018
Classics Retellings, Fantasy, 
Feminist Fiction, Historical Fiction,
Mythology

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35959740-circe




My Thoughts About This Cover

This is such a visually STUNNING cover! This novel is a retelling of the story of Circe, the nymph and goddess of magic from Homer's Odyssey

This cover is bold and dramatic, as well as being an example of virtuoso two-dimensional design. It is very much influenced by an ancient Greek style of pottery, in which the background was black, and the figures an interesting, and highly-contrasting, orange tone. In this style, figures and faces were heavily stylized. This is also evident in the cover above. Circe's facial features are stylized, not realistic, and yet, they do convey a feeling of realism. She wears a head ornament that incorporates roses, and her hair, which beautifully frames her face, resembles sheaves of wheat.

Since this is a feminist revisioning of the original story, this fact is evident in the face depicted on this cover. The nymph/goddess stares out at the viewer with a strange mixture of sadness and defiance, with no apologies. It's as if she were saying, "See, I've been misunderstood and unfairly vilified. This is who I REALLY am!" In this context, I suddenly realized that her face also resembles a shield. She's ready to do battle, this goddess!

See below for the type of Greek art that had such an influence on this cover.



 Interior (tondo) of a red figure kylix, depicting Herakles and Athena, by Phoinix (potter) and Douris (painter), c. 480-470 BC, Antikensammlungen Munich, Germany
 (Source: Wikipedia, Public Domain)

In the article I'm linking next, a photograph is included, which shows a 2,500-year-old clay wine vessel depicting the scene from Homer's Odyssey in which Odysseus confronts Circe after she has turned his men into pigs. I wish I could include this photo here, but it's from the Metropolitan Museum of Art, which means it's protected by copyright. This is such a GORGEOUS image! You can access it, as well as the article it forms a part of, HERE. The article also includes a breathlessly beautiful image of this book, showing the cover in glowing bronze.

Equally striking is the bottom half of the cover, which features those sheaves of wheat framing the bold, one-word title. This title uses a font which was influenced by ancient Greek writing.

This is a cover that will inevitably draw a reader to the book, and compel them to dive into its pages! I hope to add this book to my collection as soon as I can!

Unfortunately, this is another case in which I've been unable to find out who the brilliant cover artist is.... I suppose I will be able to get this information when I actually hold this gem of a book in my hands. The Amazon preview has not been any help in discovering the artist's identity, nor have I found any references to him or her through Google.




What do you think of 
this week's cover?
Please leave a comment
and let me know!








6 comments:

  1. I’ve read this novel. It’s great! And it’s not merely a feminist retelling. The author actually uses what happens in the myths. It’s just that you see them from her viewpoint. And you don’t blame her for what she does to the sailors! You get her family background and she seems to be the only decent one of the lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sue!

      I've heard TERRIFIC things about this novel! So I really want to read it! Circe finally gets to tell her own story, and is vindicated, as well.

      In these posts, though, I concentrate on the book cover. I find it SO fascinating that the creator of this cover found inspiration -- and very appropriately so -- in ancient Greek pottery, with its beautiful combination of black background and orange-toned figures.

      Thanks for commenting! <3 :)

      Delete
  2. It is amazing what a skilled artist can do with Just three colors. The effect here is striking. As the picture that you postedi illustrates, some of the orginal Greek art did it with two colors.

    I have heard a fair amount about this book and I want to read it. I have read Margaret Atwood’ The Penelopiod which was a retelling or The Odeysey from Penelope’s point of view. I highly recamend that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Brian!

      Yes, it is!! The design on this cover is a simple one, and, as you have pointed out, there are only three colors. It's just SO powerful and beautiful! This bold design also reflects Cirche's strong personality. LOVE it!!!

      Yes, this book is supposed to be GREAT!! :)

      I, too, have heard of Atwood's "The Penelopiad", but hadn't added it to my Goodreads shelves. Now I'll be sure to! Thanks for the recommendation!

      Thanks for the interesting comment!! <3 :)

      Delete
  3. This is the cover of Circe that I want to buy. I love all things ancient Greece so it's a must for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Steph!

      Oh, me, too! I know there's another cover -- the UK one. I like that one, too, but not as much as this one!

      I love everything related to ancient Greece, too!! Gotta read more books about that topic!

      Thanks for commenting!! HUGS!! <3 <3 <3 :) :) :)

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)