Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Teaser Tuesday No. 5: Flesh and Blood, by Kristen Painter

br />


Welcome to "Teaser Tuesday"!!


This meme is hosted by  Ambrosia @ The Purple Booker every week, and the rules are very simple.

RULES
* Grab you current read.
*Open to a random page.
*Share two "teaser" sentences from somewhere
on that page.
*BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS!
(Make sure that what you share doesn't
give too much away! You don't want
to ruin the book for others!)
*Share the title and author, too, so that other
TT participants can add the book to their
TBR Lists if they like your teasers!


Note
Since I'm a slow reader, I don't have a new book
started every week. I am therefore going
 to bend the rules a little.....
I'll be featuring books I want to read,
that are currently sitting on my shelves.


Here are my teasers!
This time of night when the dying sun dusted the sky lavender and the early stars emerged, everything seemed draped in magic. Not the kind that waited around corners or bared its teeth when startled, but peaceful, benevolent magic. Then enchanted dusk muted imperfections and smoothed rough edges.  
-- Chapter 9, page 102

Evie stepped forward. "What is the ring's power?"
"Bring it to me and I will help you rule the world." He leered at her. "All you have to do is release me."
Aliza shook her head. "Not enough, demon. What does it do?"
He raged, arms outstretched, clawed fingers splayed. "Mortal fools! With that ring, you can raise an unconquerable army. Now free me."
"Not yet, demon. Not yet." -- Chapter 40, page 400



Flesh and Blood
(House of Comarré, Book 2)
Kristen Painter
Mass Market Paperback, 402 page
Orbit
October 1, 2011
Paranormal Romance, Urban Fantasy

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9571407-flesh-and-blood?ac=1&from_search=true






With the Ring of Sorrows still missing, and the covenant between othernaturals and mortals broken, Chrysabelle's life outside the realm of vampire nobility is about to take another downhill slide. She's vowed to help the outcast Malkolm find a way to lift his curse, but that means returning to the home city of the vampire who's trying to kill her. The breaking of the covenant has also activated an ancient organisation designed to protect mankind — the Kubai Mata.

And when Kubai Mata Thomas Creek comes to Paradise City, Chrysabelle finds herself torn between the need to save Malkolm and the desire to stay on the path of light. Finally fulfilling her vow to Malkolm proves devastating for Chrysabelle. If she survives, what's left of her life will never be the same.




I bought this book on Amazon, on October 11, 2012, to be exact. I can't believe I haven't read it yet, especially since I had already read -- and enjoyed -- the first book in this series, Blood Rights. Painter's world-building is just AWESOME! I need to pick up where I left off, and finish the series! You can read my review of the first book HERE.



What do you think of my teasers?
Are you interested in this book?
Please leave a comment, 
along with the link
to your own "Teaser Tuesday" post, 
and let me know!











6 comments:

  1. I especially like the first quotation. It is interesting that I think that, while this is obviously a book that involves magic, I think that it would have worked just fine in a book that did not involve magic. I love the lavender dusting of the sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Brian!

      Yes, I do, too! The second quote is more for drama. Lol. But the first quote could also fit in a book that has nothing to do with magic or the supernatural, even though the word "magic" is mentioned in this description. I, too, love "the lavender dusting of the sky". It's the PERFECT description of a sunset!

      It's also WONDERFUL, I think, to find such poetic descriptions in novels that are not in the literary fiction genre. Instead, they're in the popular fiction genre. But I also think that great writing is not merely limited to the literary fiction genre. It's more a matter of degree; in literary fiction, there's just a lot more of it!

      I also LOVE the cover!!

      Thanks for the great comment!! <3 :)

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, I loved these teasers. Especially the first one because of its descriptiveness. And also I know what you mean with buying a book and then not reading it for years. It happens to me so much. And actually the other day I picked up a book where I read the previous one in 2012 and only now I'm reading the next one. But I'm loving it so the joke's on me, I guess. Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Steph!

      Yeah, these are really GREAT teasers! The first one is just BEAUTIFUL! As I told Brian in my reply to his comment, beautiful, poetic prose is often found in popular genres, as well, and not just literary fiction. I LOVE that!!

      I included the second quote in the interests of drama. Lol. I think it's very effective, too!

      OMG, I have SO many books that have been sitting on my shelves for YEARS, unread! Did you know there's actually a name for this? It's called "tsundoku". This is the Japanese word for collecting books and not reading them! Lol. Check it out online. :)

      When I go on to continue this series, I will have to read the first book again.... Or maybe not. I could just read my review of it! Lol.

      Let's wish ourselves "good luck" in getting to all of our unread books!! :) :)

      Thanks for the great comment!! HUGS!!!! <3 <3 <3 :) :) :)

      Delete
  3. I love the sound of these teasers - and the fact that you like the worldbuilding so much sounds like this one is worth marking for my TBR... But I'm determined to read more of the books stacked up on it first! Thank you for sharing, Maria - I love that cover, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sarah!

      Oh, YEAH!! And yes, the worldbuilding is nothing short of AWESOME!! Painter has actually used Miami, Florida, as her setting! However, she has renamed Miami as "Paradise City", and Florida is now "New Florida". Also, the year in which the events take place is 2067, so there's a bit of SF in this series, as well. I think you'd really like these books! You can check out my review of the first novel in the "Book Reviews" section. That will also tell you how long ago I read it....Lol. This novel is titled "Blood Rights".

      I hear you on getting to the books already on your TBR. Lol. I have the exact same problem! I've had books sitting on my shelves for YEARS, and have not yet read them.... And I'm STILL buying books! LOL.

      I'm SO glad you've mentioned the cover! This series has GREAT covers!! This one is probably my favorite, though. It's just SO dynamic! The woman is powerful, staring right out at the viewer as she draws her samurai sword. And I LOVE the sword hilt and sheath, with all that elaborate carving! AWESOME!!

      Thanks for the great comment!! HUGS!!! <3 <3 <3 :) :) :)

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)