Saturday, October 13, 2018

Book Blogger Hop No. 146: A Future Without Books?!



Welcome to the Book Blogger Hop,
Halloween Edition!!
This event is hosted by Billy @



For more information, and 
to find out the topic of next week's question, click HERE.


This Week's Question

You are suddenly transported
into a future time in which
(horrors!) books are unknown.
How would you explain
books, and how wonderful they
are, to the people of that time?

(Submitted  by Maria @





My Answer

Actually, this question has nothing whatsoever to do with Halloween. Except that it would definitely be a nightmare if books were totally unknown at some future time. At least, we, the book-loving time travelers, would experience such a future as a horrible one!  :)

I realize that, in asking this question, I gave no details about this hypothetical future society. Also, the fact that we travelers would suddenly be thrust into a world alien to us, with no preparation whatsoever, would be a huge challenge. 

Upon further thought, I believe this hypothetical society could be either at a primitive technological level, or at one so advanced that technology itself had become obsolete, and the inhabitants did everything through telepathy. Either scenario would definitely test the imaginative and teaching abilities of us time travelers!

Before I proceed, I want to make one thing clear, which I think I should have included in the question: we time travelers will have an extended stay in this future society. We will eventually return to our own time, but we will spend several years in the future society. Therefore, we will have plenty of time and opportunities to explain books to our thought-experiment society. 

In the case of the primitive society, which would most likely -- and unfortunately -- have come about because of nuclear destruction, so the survivors would have had to start from scratch, all over again, there's one major point to consider. Primitive societies tend to be very superstitious, with prevalent beliefs in magic, various gods, etc. To the inhabitants of such a society, reading and books would appear to be magical in nature. Of course, books ARE, indeed, magical in nature, metaphorically speaking. Therefore, I think I would start by describing, orally, how magical journeys could be undertaken through the mysterious art of reading strange markings made on stone tablets. This would be my starting point. Once I got them fascinated, I would then have to go about inventing an alphabet, and then teaching these people to read, to decipher the meanings behind words and sentences. Later on, I would make an actual, physical, primitive book, using rudimentary paper -- perhaps parchment. I would have to teach them the process of turning pages, as well, of scanning, and visualization of the story as they read. I would probably include pictures, which I would draw on the pages of this primitive book (after locating some crude graphite or soft charcoal somewhere, or perhaps plant-based ink), and further books to follow. I guess the covers would have to consist of several layers of parchment glued together somehow -- perhaps with a sticky material taken from some sort of plant. 

Anyway, this would be a long, arduous process, as, basically, I would have to reinvent the book. At some future point, a printing press would also have to be built. This would of course involve the use of various metals. It would be very complicated! I'm sure this would be a very rewarding process, however, especially if I were to be perceived as a goddess come from the sky to teach the primitives this new and exciting magic! Lol. Of course, I would also do my best to eventually tell them that I was just an ordinary human being. But I would enjoy my goddess status for a while...... :)

In the case of the other type of society, different challenges would be presented. This type of society would have probably evolved or advanced to the point that, with a mere thought, they could do and get whatever they wanted. Thus, technology as we know it today might seem very archaic to them. Even ebooks would seem ancient, I think. 

In this case, I would have to first befriend someone from that time period.  (I'm thinking it would be pretty far into the future, too, like say, in the year 3150...) Who knows, maybe these people wouldn't even know how to use their vocal chords anymore, if they did everything through telepathy! So perhaps I'd have to attempt some sort of sign language in order to try to convey to one of the inhabitants that I'm harmless and come in peace. Lol. Things would be much easier, though, if one of these people could communicate with me merely by touching my temples, and projecting images into my mind. Sort of like a Vulcan mind meld. If you don't know what the heck THAT is, you're obviously not a Star Trek fan. Lol. 

Well, so let's say I establish rapport that way with one of the "natives". Once I did so, this person would project what they wanted to "say" to me through visual thoughts, and perhaps even words. It all depends, though, on how good of a student I was. This would probably take some time. At some point, however, I would hopefully be able to master the projection of thoughts and images myself. That's when I would project an image of a printed book. Yes, a PRINTED book. I would not want these people to have ANYTHING to do with ebooks! (But who knows, they might be able to access my images of them....alas!)

I would start by projecting images of various books from my memory banks (the mind IS a computer, after all), and then start projecting actual memories of myself reading and enjoying books. I think I'd have to teach these people the joys of reading, too, and they might not know anything about alphabets, letters, sentences, and so forth. 

Of course, I'd also project images of several stories I have stored in my memory banks, as well. Who knows, they might not know some of our most cherished stories, such as the tales of King Arthur, or the SF novels of Isaac Asimov, or even Shakespeare's plays. On the other hand, these things might be stored in some digital vault somewhere, to be accessed at the touch of an ancient screen. Or maybe they just think of a particular author, and they can immediately access the records. But I think that these people might not know the value and enjoyment of actually perusing these stories through the means of the printed book. So it would be very important for me to project the emotions behind reading, as well -- the sheer delights (and sorrows, in the case of drama/tragedy) of reading.

With the second hypothetical society, I would be able to differentiate between fiction and nonfiction, and communicate the need for, and value of, each of these broad genres. This type of thing would be possible with the primitive society, too, but only after a couple of centuries of working with them on this. (I might be able to come across some special process that would prolong my life. Or perhaps my successors would be able to carry on with "The Reading Project".)

The process of communicating the value of books would be a long one with this second society, too. In both hypothetical scenarios -- the primitive and the greatly advanced one -- the results would be well worth the effort, I think. Books, and reading, are such incredibly miraculous and wonderful inventions of the human race, that the knowledge of their existence, as well as their intellectual, emotional, and spiritual, value, must be passed on, for future generations to discover for themselves. And, if one of us were able to take a little trip in Time to perform this invaluable service to humanity, then we, like the members of the Federation of Planets in the Star Trek universe, can be confident that the future will be a hopeful one!





What are your thoughts on
this topic?
If you're participating in this hop,
I'll go comment on your 
own BBH post.
If not, I will then comment on one 
of your blog posts!
Thanks for visiting!!!  
 





10 comments:

  1. What a brilliant post Maria. It is not an exaggeration to say that some of your posts such as this one are some of the most imaginative and interesting content on the web when ot comes to books. The original question, that is how would we deal with a world without books, does indeed carry so much extra to it. I also would wonder if the world still had some sort of primitive writing, but not advanced enough to put together whole books. There are so many possibilities. I love your speculations on what it would take to put together enough know how and resources to start printing books. It would indeed be arduous. Of course, one would probably have the time since there were no books around to occupy us with reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Brian!

      Thank you SO much for the compliments!! I greatly appreciate your praise!! <3 <3

      Yes, this question is one that has many ramifications, and these need to be fully explored. I really went to town on this one, as a result! Of course, this post could be expanded considerably, I think. It could very well turn into a novel, lol. As you have stated, there are many possibilities!

      It would indeed be interesting to see whether this future world -- the primitive one -- had any sort of primitive writing when one of our intrepid time travelers (such as MOI, for instance) arrived in it! That would make a LOT of difference!

      I'm really glad you love my speculations!! <3 <3

      The introduction of books into the primitive society would indeed be arduous. As far as the advanced society goes, the task would also be a difficult one, but perhaps not as difficult as it would be in the primitive society. However, a LOT would depend on whether I (or other time travelers) would be able to learn the art of projecting thoughts and images into another mind, as well as receiving them.....

      As you have stated, we time travelers would have PLENTY of time to devote to this monumental task, since there are no books. This is provided, of course, that we didn't have to return to our own time period right away. It would also depend on how long our lifespans were, in this new future. Or perhaps we could train our blog followers to continue to implement our efforts. Yes, there are MANY possibilities!!

      Thanks for the thought-provoking comment!! <3 :)

      Delete
  2. As horrible as the thought about a world without books is now I kinda wanna read a story where a main character or a group of characters time travel by accident to a time that's like you said at a primitive technological level or at one that's advanced. Someone definitely needs to write that because I'd so read that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Steph!

      Oh, yes, it's HORRIBLE to even contemplate such a world! :(

      You know, I'd love to read a novel with such a plot, too! I wonder if I could write it someday.... But probably someone else should. I don't know if I'd have the patience to do it, lol.

      Thanks for the nice comment!! HUGS!!! <3 <3 :) :)

      Delete
  3. Wow....LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your answer, Maria.

    You definitely would be able to explain what books are. You are an amazing, creative writer AND teacher.

    I love how you can create a new world just with your words. :) :)

    YOU are AMAZING!!

    Thanks for a great question and for your MARVELOUS answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Elizabeth!

      THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! I'm SO glad you loved my answer!! What LOVELY PRAISE, too!! <3 <3 <3

      I would probably enjoy writing an entire book with this concept, but I do wonder if I would have the patience to do so! Lol.

      You're very welcome for the question and the answer!! And thanks to YOU for such a POSITIVE comment!! HUGS!!! <3 <3 <3 :) :) :)

      Delete
  4. What a fabulous post, Maria! My understanding is that the early alphabet was invented so that people could keep track of their trading transactions - who paid whom for what... So maybe setting that up first would inspire people to quickly pass on the knowledge of how to record information onto stone, wood, skins and then paper...

    And then start writing down all those fabulous stories they tell each other around the fire when it gets dark...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sarah!

      Oh, THANK YOU SO MUCH!! <3 <3 <3

      I had no idea that the early alphabet was invented for that purpose! Interesting! You're probably right -- setting that up first would probably help. But I would hope that people would very quickly move on to the more creative use of the alphabet -- setting down all those campfire stories. That's where an explanation of how magical and wonderful books are would come in handy!

      Thanks for the lovely comment!! HUGS!! <3 <3 <3 :) :) :)

      Delete
  5. A brilliant answer. You put more thought into this week's prompt than what I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Billy!

      Oh, THANK YOU SO MUCH!! <3 <3

      Yes, I did put a lot of thought into this, but your answer was very practical! You would travel in Time with books in your hands! That would make everything a lot easier, I imagine! :)

      Thanks for the nice comment!! <3 :)

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)