Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Teaser Tuesday No. 4: Storm Warning, by Mercedes Lackey




Welcome to "Teaser Tuesday"!!


This meme is hosted by  Ambrosia @ The Purple Booker every week, and the rules are very simple.

RULES
* Grab you current read.
*Open to a random page.
*Share two "teaser" sentences from somewhere
on that page.
*BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS!
(Make sure that what you share doesn't
give too much away! You don't want
to ruin the book for others!)
*Share the title and author, too, so that other
TT participants can add the book to their
TBR Lists if they like your teasers!


Note
Since I'm a slow reader, I don't have a new book
started every week. I am therefore going
 to bend the rules a little.....
I'll be featuring books I want to read,
that are currently sitting on my shelves.


Here are my teasers!
Emperor Charliss sat upon the Iron Throne, bowed down neither by the visible weight of his years nor the invisible weight of his power. He bore neither the heavy Wolf Crown on his head, nor the equally burdensome robes of state across his shoulders, though both lay nearby, on an ornately trimmed marble bench beside the Iron Throne. The thick silk-velvet robes flowed down the bench and coiled on the floor beside it, a lush weight of pure crimson so heavy it took two strapping young men to lift them into place on the Emperor's shoulders.   
-- Chapter 1, page 1

"Hear me out. When the Gods granted mankind free will, They allowed uncertainty to enter the world. Some things can be predicted, others cannot. If I may make an analogy -- I can tell you that a great storm is coming. With the knowledge I have that when the wind blows such-and-so, and the glass falls, and the sky looks thusly at this time of year, I can say that there will be a storm."  -- Chapter 13, page 298






Storm Warning
(Valdermar: Mage Storms, Book 1)
Mercedes Lackey
Hardcover, 403 pages
DAW Books, Inc,
August 1, 1994
Fantasy, Science Fiction


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1073104.Storm_Warning









In war-ravaged Valdemar, Queen Selenay struggles to overcome years of hatred, hostility, and superstition to forge an alliance with Valdemar's long-time enemy, the neighboring kingdom of Karse, to combat a mutual enemy from the mysterious Eastern Empire.



I know I bought this book at a Barnes & Noble store, but don't remember which one. It was probably the small one on Coral Way, in the heart of Coral Gables, a small city that used to be part of Miami, and now is a city in its own right.

I acquired this beauty at the bargain price of $5.98 plus tax! And it's a hardcover, too!   The original price was $21.95 plus tax, so I'm REALLY happy about this purchase!!  Well, B&N is famous for its bargain book area. And this book is brand, spanking new, of course!

When I opened the book and read several passages in order to pick my teasers, I was floored by the beauty and quality of the prose! I should make it a point to read this one sometime soon!!



What do you think of my teasers?
Are you interested in this book?
Please leave a comment, 
along with the link
to your own "Teaser Tuesday" post, 
and let me know!











8 comments:

  1. These teasers are great. They make me interested in the book. I have not read Mercedes Lacky but I think that I should. I am looking through her bibliography and I think that I would like her work. I also really like the book cover that you posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Brian!

      I've always heard GREAT things about Mercedes Lackey! I really want to get started on her books!! Of course, you know how it is....there are SO many books I want to read, and Time is not my friend. Lol.

      This cover is absolutely AWESOME!! I think I've featured it before on "Shelf Candy Saturday", but I'm not 100% sure, so I'll have to double check. If I haven't featured it before, then I think I should!

      Thanks for the nice comment!! <3 :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, what a great bargain! I'm not sure this book would be for me but I'm glad you're enjoying it.

    Thanks for sharing,
    ~Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Brittany!

      Yeah, Barnes & Noble has GREAT bargains!! I LOVE to take a look at books in that section of the store. Usually, these heavily discounted books are what is known as "publisher's overstock". Sometimes, unfortunately, they do have a remainder mark, but that isn't always the case. This particular book doesn't have one. SO happy about that!

      I'm not actually reading this book right now. I've changed the "Teaser Tuesday" rules a little, because I'm not a fast reader. So I'm featuring books that I own, and want to read, but haven't gotten to yet.

      Thanks for commenting!! <3 :)

      Delete
  3. My husband introduced me to this series by Mercedes Lackey when we were dating in college and I went on to read many of the books in the series. (The series is broken up into stand alones, duologies, and trilogies --all within the same world and often with characters crossing over in one way or another). Although, it's been a while since I last read one of her books. I was so into the books, I even bought a couple of the author's music CD's--and still sing the songs from it now and then (although where the CDs are, I couldn't say). Your post today sure does bring back memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Wendy!

      Hey, your husband has GREAT taste!! :) :)

      I've always heard that Mercedes Lackey is a TERRIFIC writer, and, from the teasers I found and included in this post, that's certainly true! So I want to get started with her books. I've looked at her profile on Goodreads, and she's definitely a prolific writer! I've seen the list of books you've mentioned -- the stand alones, duologies, etc. DEFINITELY fascinating!!

      I had no idea that she had also released CDs of music!! WOW!! Gotta check those out!! Thanks for letting me know!

      I'm SO glad this post brought back some pleasant memories for you, Wendy! Nice bookish memories are the BEST ones!! :) :)

      Thanks for the interesting comment!! HUGS TO YOU AND MOUSE!! <3 <3 <3 :) :) :)

      Delete
  4. I like Mercedes Lackey's writing, though I don't know if I've read this one. But I hope you are continuing to enjoy it, Maria as I can't recall ever being disappointed with her books:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sarah!

      I'm not actually reading this one yet. Since I'm a slow reader, I decided to change the "Teaser Tuesday" rules a little, and thus, I am featuring books that I own and want to read.

      This book is the first in one of the trilogies in Lackey's VAST Valdemar universe. One could spend YEARS -- especially in my case, lol -- exploring this universe!

      I don't think I'd be disappointed with her books. From the teasers I've included here, I can see that her prose and characterizations are AWESOME!!

      Thanks for commenting!! HUGS!!! <3 <3 <3 :) :) :)

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)