Saturday, March 31, 2018

Shelf Candy Saturday No. 246: The Wizard's Ward, by Deborah Hale



Welcome to Shelf Candy Saturday!



This is my weekly feature
showcasing beautiful covers!
It also provides information, 
if available, on their 
very talented creators!



Here's my choice for this week!



The Wizard's Ward
(Umbria, Book 1)
Deborah Hale
Mass Market Paperback, 464  pages
Harlequin
July 1, 2005
Fantasy, Romance


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/710595.The_Wizard_s_Ward




  
My Thoughts About This Cover

This beautiful, evocative cover reminded me of the legends of King Arthur as soon as I laid eyes on it! This scene is very poetic, with a touch of mysticism in it, as well.  The young woman is apparently waiting for someone, as she sits, listening intently, inside her canoe. I can almost hear the sounds of the forest surrounding her..... In the distance, a strange, rather gloomy-looking castle looms, apparently sitting on a cloud bank. The young woman is in the middle of a forest, and, paradoxically, seems to be in soft daylight, although it doesn't really look like daylight. It might be late afternoon. The castle, too, appears to be in daylight.

Lovely as this scene is, it's even more so because of the beautiful title, which is set in a bar running across the cover, and is enhanced by the lovely embellishments on the letter "W". Titles don't always add to a cover's appeal, but this one certainly does! It actually makes this cover even more enchanting than it already is, and that's because of the fairy-like look of that embellished letter, as well as of the young woman herself.

The colors used here are soft and muted, which also contributes to the cover's magical atmosphere. And that dress! I LOVE that aqua-colored dress!!

Although I have checked the Amazon preview, I have been unable to find out who created this very magical and beautiful cover..... Nor have I found that highly talented person's name in a Google search. We must content ourselves with merely admiring this wonderful art!



What do you think of 
this week's cover?
Please leave a comment
and let me know!








4 comments:

  1. Another great cover Maria. I like the use of green here. I love woodland scenes, I like wetlands and I like castles. All of the elements work so well together here.

    I agree that the title and font adds a lot to this picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Brian!

      Glad you like it, too!! Yes, it is indeed a great cover!!

      I love woodland scenes myself, and castles, of course!! Not so much wetlands, lol. But yes, all of the various visual elements work very well together here!

      The title and font are VERY impressive! They add a medieval flair to this cover!

      I only wish I knew who had created all this beauty...... :(

      Thanks for the great comment!! <3 :)

      Delete
  2. What a lovely cover, Maria! Have you read the book? It sounds like it would be a beautifully atmospheric, evocative read...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sarah!

      Glad you love it, too! Yes, it is absolutely GORGEOUS!!

      No, I haven't read this book; at least, not yet. Lol. I do want to, as it reminds me very strongly of the King Arthur legends, which I LOVE!!

      Thanks for the nice comment!! <3 <3 <3 :) :) :)

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)