Saturday, March 3, 2018

Shelf Candy Saturday No. 242: Dark Souls, by Paula Morris



Welcome to Shelf Candy Saturday!



This is my weekly feature
showcasing beautiful covers!
It also provides information, 
if available, on their 
very talented creators!

Here's my choice for this week!





Dark Souls
Paula Morris
Hardcover, 304  pages
Point
August 1, 2011
Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, 
Young Adult Fiction



https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10048876-dark-souls?ac=1&from_search=true

  



My Thoughts About This Cover

I think this week's cover caught my eye for a number of reasons, one of them subconscious. I have just become aware of it, too, and it's this: that there's definitely a Harry Potter vibe here. This narrow street reminds me of Diagon Alley!  

Before this realization hit me, I felt immediately attracted to this cover. Now I know why! But even before that, there were other things, too. There was the mist swirling around the man, the woman who appears to be following him, thus hinting at a mystery. And there was the title itself, which looks like it's an actual archway placed between the buildings on either side of the street. The font is a beautiful one, too, and one of my favorites -- an Old English type of font. 

The man is walking on, apparently oblivious to the woman following him. He's leading the reader right into the story. Where is he going? Why is the woman following him, if that's what she's doing? Inquiring minds -- especially mine -- want to know!

So I am actually feeling as if I'm being pulled right into this novel. Well, that's the job of a great cover, isn't it? It should make the reader want to pick up the book and plunge right in! This cover certainly does that for me! 

And the cover artist is.....Becky Terhune, Art Director and Senior Designer at Workman Publishing since 2012. She has also worked at Scholastic and Abrams, as well as doing freelance Art Direction and Graphic Design for various clients. She has a BFA (Bachelor of Fine Arts) in Design from the University of North Texas, and also attended the School of Visual Arts in New York City, where she's currently based. Kudos to her for this fascinating, beautiful cover!



 

Online Links
LinkedIn
Facebook




What do you think of 
this week's cover?
Please leave a comment
and let me know!








6 comments:

  1. You're right, it does look a whole lot like Diagon Alley. I didn't see it until you pointed it out so now I love the cover of course! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Stephanie!

      Yeah, it does!! How AWESOME is that? I think that's mostly what made this cover stand out to me!

      Thanks for commenting!! HUGS!! <3 <3 <3 :) :) :)

      Delete
  2. I like this cover. I agree about it having the Harry Potter vibe to it. In addition, I find the contrast, between the man and the woman, verses the building, street and mist to be very effective. They are depicted in fairly bright colors, as opposed to the the darker elements in the remainder of the picture. I like how they are differentiated.

    I hope that you are having a great weekend Maria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Brian!

      It SURE has that HP vibe!! I'm SO happy about that!! :) :)

      Yes, the contrast between the two people and the buildings is indeed effective. I think the guy is a ghost, and the woman probably wants to find out if he really is one. I LOVE the feeling of supernatural mystery conveyed by this cover!

      Yeah, so far I'm having a very nice weekend! Hope you are, too!! Thanks for the very insightful comment!! <3 :)

      Delete
  3. Well THAT'S spooky! We now have the Harry Potter magical world breaking through...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sarah!

      Yes, it is, but in an inviting sort of way, I think. At least, it doesn't creep me out. Lol.

      You know, at first it was the letters of the title, as well as the mist, that pulled me in. Then I did a double-take, and said to myself, "Wait a minute! This street sure reminds me of Diagon Alley!" So that clinched it! Lol. I just HAD to feature this cover!!

      Thanks for commenting!! HUGS!! <3 <3 <3 :) :) :)

      !"

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)