Friday, March 16, 2018

Book Blogger Hop No. 126: Favorite Children's Book Author



Welcome to the Book Blogger Hop,
hosted by Billy @




This Week's Question

Who is your favorite children's
book author and why?

(Submitted  by Kitty @ 



My Answer

I haven't read any children's books in recent years, but I do have VERY fond memories of reading some great ones! My two favorites are Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, by Lewis Carroll, and Classic Fairy Tales, by Hans Christian Andersen. So these are also my two favorite children's books authors.

I happen to own the Barnes & Noble Collectible Editions of both books, and would like to read them again! (The B&N Collectible Edition of the Carroll book also contains Through the Looking Glass, which I have not read.) 

When I first read these books, I did so in Spanish, as a child in Cuba. I do have both books still, although, sadly, they are a bit on the worn side.....I need to locate the Lewis Carroll book, which is somewhere in my personal library. I was unable to find a picture of it online. As for the Andersen book, I DID find a picture, which you can see below.

These books gave me lots of hours of enjoyment when I was a kid. Back then, I believed the stories were all true, too. Lol. It was VERY disappointing to me when I found out that wasn't the case....But these books, along with some others that I read back then, such as condensed versions of Mark Twain's Tom Sawyer and The Prince and the Pauper, plus Little Women, really hooked me into reading for life!

These two authors really captured the "feel" of fantasy from a child's viewpoint. In the case of the Wonderland book, I immediately related to Alice, for example. Here was a little girl getting into fascinating adventures, and I totally envied her! I also felt her emotions very strongly as I read. Whenever the Queen of Hearts yelled, "Off with his head!" or "Off with her head!", I was really scared!

As for Andersen's stories, my favorites were "The Snow Queen", "The Emperor's New Clothes", and "The Steadfast Tin Soldier". The first and the third of these dealt with relationships of the heart. The first one featured a boy and a girl who were close friends, while the third one featured two toys who were able to feel like real, living people, and loved each other. This one has a rather sad ending, though, and I've never forgotten it. Even back then, I had some interest in romance, although I wasn't aware of it, lol.  

As for "The Emperor's New Clothes", I thought it was hysterical at the time. Beneath the humor, though, there was a very important statement about political hypocrisy. This, of course, was something I didn't catch back then. I just thought it was VERY funny for the emperor to be walking around without a stitch of clothing on! Lol.

Below you will see pictures of the B&N editions I now own, plus the Spanish translation of Andersen's stories that I originally read, and also still own.




https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7505716-alice-s-adventures-in-wonderland-other-stories?ac=1&from_search=true

  



https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26143476-hans-christian-andersen








What are your thoughts on
this topic?
If you're participating in this hop,
I'll go comment on your 
own BBH post.
If not, I will then comment on one 
of your blog posts!
Thanks for visiting!!!  
 







15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi, Nicki! I'm glad you love them, too!! Thanks for commenting!! <3 :)

      Delete
  2. Definitely classics! And who would have thought a mathematician could write such great fantasy? All the maths people I know have no creativity of that kind! You really should read Through The Looking Glass. If you've seen any Alice movies, you've probably seen some elements from Looking Glass anyway.

    There are some great children's books being written now. Check out my post for a few. I've focused on Irish children's writers, in honour of St Patrick's Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sue!

      That's certainly an interesting fact about Lewis Carroll. It's true -- people who are good in Math are usually not the creative type, unless they are applying their creativity to numbers, as in the case of Einstein. But creative writing? No, not usually.

      I want to read "Through the Looking Glass". I only knew about "Alice in Wonderland" as a kid, though.

      How nice that you've focused on Irish children's writers, in honor of St. Patrick's Day! I'll be sure to check out your post!

      Thanks for the nice comment!! <3 :)

      Delete
  3. I haven't read Alice in Wonderland yet, but I would love to! Great pick!

    Here’s my Book Blogger Hop!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ronyell!

      Oh, you MUST read it!! It's a totally delightful fantasy adventure! Glad you liked my pick!

      Thanks for commenting!! <3 :)

      Delete
  4. Wonderful post Maria. Bookish people usually have really great memories of childhood reading. A lifetime of reading is so often started in this way.

    The B and N edition looks so impressive. I love how the color red is used.

    It is too bad that beloved books get worn over time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Brian!

      Thank you so much!! <3 <3

      Yes, we bookworms usually have great -- and treasured -- memories of childhood reading! And it looks like bookworms are most often born, not made, although parents can certainly help to instill a love for reading in a child. But, in my family, I'm the only one who has such a PASSION for reading, unfortunately....:( My parents did read, but they had their work and child rearing responsibilities to take care of, so that cut down on their reading time. However, they made sure to encourage all of us kids to read. My two sisters, though, are not into books AT ALL. As you can see, even people brought up in the very same family can be SO different from each other!

      I LOVE both of these B&N editions!! I must reread them with the utmost care, though. The pages are gilded.Lol.

      Yes, it's sad how beloved books can get worn as time goes by.... Of course, now I take MUCH better care of my books than I did when I was a kid, lol.

      Thanks for the GREAT comment!! <3 :)

      Delete
  5. Oh...I forgot about THE EMPEROR'S NEW CLOTHES. My son laughed and laughed.

    Nice on the Barnes and Noble Collection.

    Awesome answer and post as always.

    Enjoy your weekend, Maria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Elizabeth!

      Yeah! I can imagine how FUNNY this story was to your son! I laughed and laughed, too, when I first read it!

      I ADORE my Barnes & Noble Collectible Editions!!!! <3 <3

      Thank you SO much for ALWAYS complimenting my BBH posts!! You're the SWEETEST blogger I know!! <3 <3 <3

      Hope you enjoy your weekend, too!! HUGS!!!! <3 <3 <3 :) :) :)

      Delete
  6. What gorgeous covers these are, Maria!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Verushka!

      Yes, I just couldn't pass them up! I love the one of my childhood book, too!! :)

      Thanks for commenting!! <3 :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Maria,
    These are wonderful classics! :) I agree with you the Queen of Hearts was a very scary character. I also agree with you about the Emperor's New Clothes. I don't think of it as a political statement, but, like you, I think of it as a VERY funny story!
    Best,
    Christina/The Blog for Teachers, Readers, & Life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Christina!

      Yes, they SURE are! <3 <3

      The Queen of Hearts did scare me. Thankfully, there's a happy ending to this story!

      Yeah, "The Emperor's New Clothes" was VERY funny! I do think this story makes a political statement (through a metaphor), though, because everyone kept telling the emperor how GORGEOUS his "new clothes" were, just to remain in his good graces. It's SO typical of those around powerful people -- especially politicians -- to flatter them, as well as agree with them on EVERYTHING, just so they can continue to enjoy the benefits of being associated with these powerful people. This is VERY hypocritical. Of course, I didn't see this when I read the story as a kid, but I do see it now. I think that many classic fairy tales have layers of meaning, and only adults can see the deeper layers. Children just enjoy the fun and adventure.

      I've noticed this, too, with comic strips in newspapers. They have layers of meaning, as well.

      Thanks for commenting!! <3 :)

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)