Sunday, March 11, 2018

Shelf Candy Saturday No. 243: Into the Fire, by Elizabeth Moon



Welcome to Shelf Candy Saturday!


*Late Edition*
This is my weekly feature
showcasing beautiful covers!
It also provides information, 
if available, on their 
very talented creators!

Here's my choice for this week!





Into the Fire
(Vatta's Peace, Book 2)
Elizabeth Moon
Trade Paperback, 400  pages
Orbit
February 6, 2018
Science Fiction, Space Opera,
Military SF, Thrillers

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35294261-into-the-fire



  
My Thoughts About This Cover

I first came across this absolutely STUNNING cover on one of my favorite blogs, Brainfluff, created by British SF writer S.J. Higbee. You can check out the post featuring this book HERE. It's an EXCELLENT review of the Kindle Edition of the novel! (Of course, I would be interested in acquiring the paperback edition instead!)

This cover makes me want to catch the next starship heading out of the solar system! I would LOVE to do some exploring of the planet so beautifully depicted on this cover!  I wish that I were the one standing on that hill, looking out over this beautiful valley, while various kinds of spaceships whizz by....

I don't think it's a coincidence that the author's last name, Moon, is placed almost directly over the moon rising on this alien planet. It might strike some viewers as too contrived, but I would have to disagree. I think it's quite effective. And I like the simple font used, too, as it does not distract the eye from roaming over the whole scene.

Of course, I LOVE the main color scheme here. It's such a gorgeous shade of blue-green! And the mist over the valley gives the scene a very lush, romantic feeling, too. I'm using the word "romantic" in the sense of the 19th-century literary movement -- Romanticism. This cover brings to mind the novels dealing with John Carter's adventures on Mars, in the Barsoom series by Edgar Rice Burroughs. This is a type of SF that's highly adventurous and fantastical. This particular novel, though, is classified as "space opera", as well as "military science fiction".

The cover artist has also captured a great sense of atmospheric as well as actual perspective. The hills and mountains in the distance do look as if they're farther away. Furthermore, the young woman staring out at the valley gives the viewer a sense of the scale of the various objects depicted. 

I also love the contrast between the detailed parts of the illustration, and the misty areas that are not so highly detailed. This, along with the other aspects of the cover I've already mentioned, gives the reader the feeling that they're actually looking out a window -- perhaps in one of those spaceships whizzing by -- and seeing this scene. Thus, this brilliant cover artist skillfully places the potential reader of this book right in the middle of the action!

I wish I could include some information about whoever created this incredibly AWESOME cover, but I have been unable to find out anything at all..... The Amazon preview was no help in this case, either. When I clicked on this cover in order to access the book's copyright page, the cover of the hardback edition of the book appeared instead. I tried again, this time with the Kindle edition, and the same thing happened..... Very frustrating, to say the least! We will have to content ourselves with simply admiring this beautiful cover, if only for now. When I buy this book, as I probably will, then I can come back and put in some information about the artist. (Or perhaps S.J., if she visits, can give me that information, which I will then immediately add.)




What do you think of 
this week's cover?
Please leave a comment
and let me know!








6 comments:

  1. I love this cover. As usual, you commentary on it is insightful. In addition I think that the use of green is so well done. The contrast between nature and high technology works very well. Like yourself I want to explore the planet, but I also want to explore those buildings.

    Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Brian!

      I'm glad you love this cover, too!! Thanks for the compliment!! :)

      Yes, I think the use of green is very effective here. And I agree as well about the contrast between nature and highly advanced technology.

      It would be AWESOME to be able to explore every facet of this planet -- nature as well as those buildings and spaceships!

      I had a great Sunday! Hope you did, too, and that your week will go smoothly!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for the shoutout:). It is a fabulous cover, isn't it? I have looked around - but I cannot find any further information about the cover, either. I hope you had a fabulous Sunday and an awesome week!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sarah!

      You're very welcome!! :) :)

      Oh, this is DEFINITELY a fabulous cover!! I was hoping you might know who this BRILLIANT cover artist is.... I had no luck at all in getting any information about this person. :(

      I had a fabulous Sunday! Hope you did, as well! Have a great week, and thanks for commenting!! <3 <3 :) :)

      Delete
  3. Whoa, this cover reminds me a whole lot of Calling The Change by Michelle Diener (that's also a Space Opera). So of course I am loving this cover. The green is beautiful and my favorite color! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Steph!

      I have just looked up Diener's book on Goodreads, and I agree, to a point. The cover of Diener's book doesn't give me the same feeling as the cover for Moon's book. The Diener book's cover has less of a panoramic, atmospheric feel to it. However, both covers are similar in that a lone figure is looking out upon some sort of landscape. Interesting comparison! :) :)

      How nice that green is your favorite color! It is indeed a beautiful color! I LOVE the shade of green used on this cover, as it has quite a bit of blue in it. And blue is my favorite color, as you can see from my blog. Lol.

      Thanks for the nice comment!! HUGS!!! <3 ,3 <3 :) :) :)

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)