Monday, January 15, 2018

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Observed in the United States




Wherever freedom and the right to exercise it are honored, so will be the memory of the great Martin Luther King, Jr., leader of the American civil rights movement, who was born on January 15, 1929, and was cruelly assassinated on April 4, 1968.   He followed the nonviolent example of Mahatma Ghandi, and, like him, ironically died a violent death.

Sadly, not every employer in the U.S. chooses to honor the memory of this unforgettable man.  He is indeed honored by those whose moral compass compels them to do so.

Dr. King's famous speech, "I Have a Dream", which he delivered at the 1963 Washington, D.C. Civil Rights March, rallied every citizen who truly believed in racial equality. His stirring speeches have been gathered into one volume, titled A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr.

This year, just as I did last year, I'm focusing exclusively on what is perhaps Dr. King's most important book, a compelling account of the 1963 Birmingham campaign, Why We Can't Wait.





Why We Can't Wait
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Trade Paperback, 256 pages
Beacon Press
January 11, 2011
(first published 1963)
American History, Politics, Philosophy,
Nonfiction, Social Justice


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9721325-why-we-can-t-wait


Amazon US/Amazon UK
Amazon CA
Barnes & Noble
The Book Depository


Book Synopsis

Often applauded as Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s most incisive and eloquent book, Why We Can’t Wait recounts the Birmingham campaign in vivid detail, while underscoring why 1963 was such a crucial year for the civil rights movement. During this time, Birmingham, Alabama, was perhaps the most racially segregated city in the United States, but the campaign launched by Fred Shuttlesworth, King, and others demonstrated to the world the power of nonviolent direct action. King examines the history of the civil rights struggle and the tasks that future generations must accomplish to bring about full equality. The book also includes the extraordinary “Letter from Birmingham Jail,” which King wrote in April of 1963.



I have reviewed this book, both on this blog and on my other blog, MindSpirit Book Journeys. To read my review of this masterfully-written and highly relevant book for these times so fraught with racism and intolerance, just click HERE.




Famous Dr. King Quotes
 
"I have a dream that my four little children
will one day live in a nation
where they will not be judged by the color
of their skin, but
by the content of their character."

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness;
only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate;
only love can do that."

"The ultimate measure of a man  is not
where he stands in moments
of comfort and convenience, but
where he stands at times of challenge
and controversy."

"Our lives begin to end the day
we become silent about things that matter."

"I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear."






Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/m/martinluth101472.html#45IfF1MShZVIm7EU
Online Links













2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this Maria. Now of all times America needs Dr. King's message. This will be the year when I will read more on King. After s good biography I plan to read Why We Can't Wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Brian!

      You know, you're usually the only one who comments on my Dr. King post every year.....how very sad. More people need to heed his message. And yes, this message is more important than ever now!

      I have to do the opposite of what you're planning. I need to read a King biography. And, of course, I highly recommend "Why We Can't Wait"! It's a hard-hitting, eye-opening read! And, unfortunately, it's STILL relevant; in fact, even more so now!

      You know, if I were still working at that office job I used to have, I'd be at work right now. Sadly, many companies don't give a hoot about MLK Day! And I'm SURE that the owner of this company I'm telling you about voted for Trump. Of course, since he's a millionaire!

      Thanks for the nice comment!! Have a GREAT day! <3 :)

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)