Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Can't Wait Wednesday No. 47: Isle of Blood and Stone, by Makiia Lucier





Welcome to "Can't Wait Wednesday"!
   
This is a weekly event hosted by
Tressa @ Wishful Endings, and inspired by "Waiting On Wednesday", which used to be hosted by
 Jill @ Breaking the Spine.

For more information, please click HERE.

As in the previous meme, this one showcases future releases  we book  bloggers 
are eagerly anticipating!!
There's also a Linky widget, so participating blogs can link up!



Here's my choice for this week!


 Isle of Blood and Stone
(Isle of Blood and Stone, Book 1)
Makiia Lucier
Hardcover, 400 pages
HMH Books for Young Readers
     April 10, 2018       
Fantasy, Romance, Young Adult 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35721243-isle-of-blood-and-stone
  





Isle of Blood and Stone, the first in a duology, is a sweeping historical fantasy full of intrigue and schemes, romance and friendship, and fearless explorers searching for the truth.

Nineteen-year-old Elias—a royal mapmaker and an old friend of del Mar’s newly  crowned king, Ulises—is eager to explore uncharted waters. But when two maps surface, each bearing the same hidden riddle, Elias must put aside his next voyage and join forces  with Ulises’s cousin, Mercedes, on a quest to solve a mystery that began eighteen years ago with the disappearance of Ulises’s two brothers. Following the clues hidden in the maps, Elias, Mercedes, and Ulises uncover long-held secrets and unimaginable betrayals.



Why I can't wait for this one!

HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!! 
I wish you all LOTS of GREAT 
reading this year!!!

Okay, aside from that GORGEOUS dragon cover, this book has an exciting plot!! And I'm happy that I've discovered this series (actually, it's a duology) at the very beginning! Lol. I do have to wait until April, but it will be well worth it!  There are hints of all kinds of royal intrigue and high adventure! And I can't WAIT to see how romance fits into the plot! 






Makiia is the author of historical fiction and historical fantasy for young adults. She grew up on the Pacific Island of Guam (not too far from the equator), and has degrees in Journalism and Library Science from the University of Oregon and the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

Her debut novel, A Death-Struck Year, was called a "powerful and disturbing reading experience" by Publishers Weekly. It was a finalist for Germany's top book prize for children's books, the Deutscher Jugendliteraturpreis, as well as Japan's Sakura Medal, and was named an ABC Best Books for Children Selection by the American Booksellers Association.

Her second novel, Isle of Blood and Stone, will be available in Spring, 2018.





What do you think of my
choice this week? 
Please leave a comment and
let me know!

  

22 comments:

  1. I am fascinated my maps. Though the fantasy genre often incorporates maps into stories, the fact that the main character here is a mapmaker is really interesting. I wonder if the author has a paticular interest or knowledge about mapmaking.

    I also love the cover. It is a superb use of green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Brian!

      Maps are indeed very interesting! Especially those old ones (from the 15th and 16th centuries) that show mythical beasts on them. One of the things I love about The Lords of the Rings trilogy is the maps included with the books. Tolkien himself did some artwork for his maps.

      I have never come across a character who was a mapmaker, either. That puts a VERY interesting spin on things!

      The cover just blew me away when I first saw it! Yes, the designer truly used the color green in a superb way!

      Thanks for the great comment!! <3 :)

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year Maria! I hope you and your family had a good holiday! And gosh, this is a beautiful cover! A mapmaker is one of the more unusual characters I've seen in a book recently, I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Verushka!

      Happy New Year to you, too!! Yes, we had a GREAT holiday! Hope you and your family did, too!! :) :)

      Yes, this cover is absolutely AMAZING!! That was what brought this book to my attention!

      I don't think I've ever seen a character who was a mapmaker before. I'm really intrigued!!

      Thanks for the great comment!! HUGS!! <3 <3 <3 :) :) :)

      Delete
  3. I haven't heard of this one before, but I love the synopsis (and the cover!). Thanks so much for sharing! I'm definitely adding this to my TBR!

    Here is my WoW for the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Gennifer!

      I came across this book while browsing on Amazon, and that cover.....WOW!!! Then I read the synopsis, and was hooked! Glad you like this book, too, and are adding it to your TBR!!

      You're very welcome for the sharing! Thanks for commenting!! <3 :)

      Delete
  4. The cover is gorgeous and it sounds like it will be a great read too!

    Jenea's Book Obsession's CWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jenea!

      Yes to the cover, and yes to this book being a great read, as well!! Glad you like it, too!

      Thanks for commenting!! <3 :)

      Delete
  5. Looks awesome, and yes that cover= amazing. Great pick!!

    Happy new Year Maria!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Greg!

      YAAAAASSSS, it certainly does!! The cover is what grabbed me first. Then I read the synopsis, and....GOTTA HAVE THIS BOOK!! Glad you love it, too!! :) :)

      Happy New Year to you, too!! Thanks for commenting!! <3 :)

      Delete
  6. I love the dragon on the cover. Hope there are lots of them in the book. I'm doing a Swords and Stars Challenge this year and this would be perfect for "Dragon on the cover" slot. Just hope there is no love triangle.

    Booker T and Cass are getting a new feature on the blog so of course they had to take over today and tell everyone. Hope they don't get big heads :) We all hope you're having a great New Year and we are in the middle of a deep freeze so we're getting use of plenty of blankets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Barb!

      Oh, yes, that dragon is just MAGNIFICENT!! I'm sure there will be LOTS of them in the book! How nice, too, that this book is perfect for your reading challenge! AWESOME!! And yes, I hope there won't be any love triangles in it! Lol.

      Oh, those rascals!! So now they're going to have their OWN feature! Well, you have to make sure they don't get big heads! Lol. I'm sure they won't, though. I'm going to check that out!!

      Thanks for the New Year wishes!! I hope you guys have a great one, too!! You might think I'm crazy, but I wish we could get some snow down here.....lol. Right now it's in the fifties. I've never seen snow..... Well, be sure to bundle up!!

      Thanks for the SUPER NICE comment, Barb!! HUGS TO YOU & THE BOYS, AND WOOF, WOOF TO THEM!!! <3 <3 <3 :) :) :)

      Delete
  7. Hey there, WOW twin! lol I had no idea this was a duology and that makes me really happy because I actually prefer them to trilogies so yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sara!

      "WOW twin"? I LOVE that!! SUPER CUTE!! :) :) :)

      Yeah, somehow we crossed brainwaves or something, and chose the very same book! I LOVe it when that happens!! <3 <3

      Yeah, I found out, when I went to Goodreads, that this is a duology. So I'm glad you're happy about that! I do prefer trilogies, though, because that means I won't have to say "goodbye" to characters I love so soon....lol. And I prefer series even more! But hey, if duologies are your thing, then that's fine, too!

      Thanks for the lovely comment!! HUGS!! <3 <3 <3 :) :) :)

      Delete
  8. Ooh! This sounds like an interesting book! Great pick!

    Here’s my WoW!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ronyell!

      Yes, it does! Glad you like it, too! :) :)

      Thanks for the comment!! <3 :)

      Delete
  9. This is the second time today I've seen this one as a pick. It looks better and better. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Laura!

      It seems that this book, with its MAGNIFICENT cover and exciting synopsis, will end up being a VERY popular WOW and CWWn pick in the months until its release. I KNOW I'll enjoy it when I get to it!! :)

      Thanks for commenting!! <3 :)

      Delete
  10. Okay, this book is screaming my name. I'm pretty sure I'd really enjoy it! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Stephanie!

      YAAAAAASSSS!!!! It screamed my name, too, when I first saw it on Amazon! Lol. I think a LOT of people are going to hear this book, because it SURE looks AWESOME!! Lol.

      I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy it, too! I know I will!!

      Thanks for the nice comment!! HUGS!!! <3 <3 <3 :) :) :)

      Delete
  11. Oh I saw this somewhere else for the first time today and LOVE the cover and it sounds rather interesting! My CWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Eve!

      It sure looks like a LOT of people will end up getting interested in this book, and I'm SO HAPPY about that!! :)

      Thanks for commenting!! <3 :)

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)