Friday, January 5, 2018

Book Blogger Hop No. 117: Five Favorite Books of 2017



Welcome to the Book Blogger Hop,
hosted by Billy @


For more information, and 
to find out the topic of next week's question, click HERE.


This Week's Question

What are your five favorite
books of 2017?

(Submitted  by Geybie @ 



My Answer

Well, as usual, I find it very difficult to stay within the parameters of this type of question, lol. I don't think I can pick just five favorite books for the past year. I need to pick at least.....SEVEN! Lol.

So here they are! Since I love them all, I've placed them in chronological review order, from the most to the least recent. I couldn't possibly put them in the order of "most to least favorite"!

You might notice that two of the books I picked were December reads. That's because I'm a Christmas ADDICT!! Lol.

Clicking on the covers will take you to my reviews here on this blog. You can also access the Goodreads page for each book from the review page.

Take it away, you lovely books, you!!!!



https://anightsdreamofbooks.blogspot.com/2017/12/book-review-starry-night-by-debbie.html

This cozy, romantic novel also features a very independent female protagonist intent on  writing great journalism, and a male protagonist, an equally independent writer, who respects and loves her as much as she does him!




 This is another wonderful Christmas romance, with a LOT of humor, joy, and very witty dialogues! Both protagonists are very evenly matched, as well!


https://anightsdreamofbooks.blogspot.com/2017/12/book-reviewgiveaway-lady-travelers.html

And speaking of witty dialogues.... the ones found in this novel are razor sharp! They are also, and frequently, very funny! This is a battle of the sexes which really isn't one.
 .


https://anightsdreamofbooks.blogspot.com/2017/06/tour-book-review-kiss-carlo-by-adriana.html


This one is a lush, sprawling, family saga, with at least three romances going on. it's also a wonderful slice of life, as it depicts the daily lives of Italian-Americans living in Philadelphia in the post WWII years. It's a funny and sad story, with humor predominating, though!

 
https://anightsdreamofbooks.blogspot.com/2017/10/tour-reviewgiveaway-her-dear-and-loving.html

I know this looks like the cover of a horror novel. But appearances can, indeed, be deceiving! Although there are vampires in the story, it's really a sweet tale of enduring love. The male protagonist is a vampire, and he's still mourning the death of his wife during the Salem Witch Trials....how romantic is that? Sigh......


https://anightsdreamofbooks.blogspot.com/2017/05/book-review-rings-of-tautee-by-dean.html

This was an EXCITING Star Trek adventure which I GREATLY enjoyed! It was like watching the original episodes all over again! The characters were true to the beloved originals, and I was SO happy about that! I especially loved the characterization of Spock!!




https://anightsdreamofbooks.blogspot.com/2017/01/book-review-study-in-charlotte-by.html


This novel is based on the famous fictional detective, Sherlock Holmes. What I LOVED about it was that a FEMALE descendant of Holmes is as brilliant as her ancestor! She's paired with Watson's MALE descendant, and well, the rest is history, with just a hint of romance! Very intriguing, indeed!


I know, I know.....there's a predominance of romance novels here. Okay, I guess all I can say is that I'm a huge sucker for happy endings, lol. But in this new year, I intend to broaden my reading horizons! I want to read more science fiction, for instance. Definitely more Star Trek novels! I also want to read other SF novels, though. Also, I'd like to read more historical fiction, as well as mysteries. I feel especially drawn to cozies. I'm getting the feeling that I'm going to surprise even myself, lol! One thing's for sure, though -- I will not read horror or erotica, this year, or any other! 

 
 
What are your thoughts on
this topic?
If you're participating in this hop,
I'll go comment on your 
own BBH post.
If not, I will then comment on one 
of your blog posts!
Thanks for visiting!!!  
 





18 comments:

  1. There's nothing wrong with romance novels ;-) Debbie Macomber is the only author I've read previously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lynn!

      Yes, you're right -- romance novels are great reading! But I've reading a lot of them recently. I do want to read other genres.

      Debbie Macomber writes WONDERFUL romance novels, as you know! I recommend the other three you see here -- Morgan Alexander, and Trigiani. You'll DEFINITELY enjoy their books!

      Thanks for commenting!! Happy New Year!! <3 :)

      Delete
  2. My fiancé bought me A Study in Charlotte for my birthday and I am so excited to read it this year! :D Have a great weekend!!

    My Book Blogger Hop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Heather!

      Awwww....that was real sweet of him! You SHOULD be excited!! It's a TERRIFIC read!! I KNOW you'll enjoy it!!

      Thanks for commenting! Happy Birthday & Happy New Year!! And have a great weekend, too!! <3 :)

      Delete
  3. I hear you about picking only FIVE...I had FOUR "definite" favorites but added 13 more for 2017 for at total of 17. :)

    Pretty covers!!

    Her Dear and Loving Husband looks VERY good...love that cover even though that one isn't pretty...it is nice and ominous, but I see you said it isn't. :)

    Ooooo....KISS CARLO!!

    Thanks for sharing, Maria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Elizabeth!

      Oh, you're SO funny!! SEVENTEEN!!! WOSWERS!! I've got to go take a look! I might want to read some of them, too! I want to expand my reading tastes.

      Yes, as you know, I LOVE pretty covers!! Lol. :) :)

      I really enjoyed "Her Dear and Loving Husband"! The cover put me off at first, but I gave it a chance, and did enjoy the story. The cover is an EXCELLENT one, even though it looks so sinister. I do love it, too, in spite of that sinister vibe. In other words, it's a very well-designed cover. However, I don't think it accurately reflects the book's content.

      Yeah!! You HAVE to read this one, Elizabeth!! I just KNOW you'll enjoy it!! And that dress reminds me SO much of Audrey Hepburn!!

      You're very welcome for the sharing!! Thanks for the nice comment!! Have a WONDERFUL weekend!! HUGS!!!!! <3 <3 <3 :) :) :)

      Delete
    2. I like sinister at times. :)

      Hope you are having a good weekend.

      Delete
    3. Oh, interesting! As long as it's not Stephen King, right? Lol.

      Hope you're having a good weekend, too!! Thanks for commenting again!! HUGS!!!! ,3 <3 <3 :) :) :)

      Delete
  4. I loved Sleigh Bells! Such a cute romance! I've been wanting to read A Study in Charlotte. Have you read Sherry Thomas's Sherlock series? It isn't a descendant but it is a female Holmes. Adriana Trigiana is on my TBR. Her books always look amazing! And Debbie Macomber rights the best Christmas books. They always make me happy. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, katherine!

      You did? YAAAAAAAY!!! Yes, it was a VERY cute romance!! This is the second Sarah Morgan book I've read, and now I'm a confirmed fan!!

      I KNOW you would enjoy "A Study in Charlotte". It is indeed a GREAT read!!

      I haven't heard of Sherrry Thomas's Sherlock series. Oh, I will go check it out on Goodreads!! A female Sherlock Holmes sounds FABULOUS!!! Thanks for letting me know!!

      SO glad you love Trigiani's novels, too!! I discovered her this year, and now I want to read more of her work!

      Yes, Macomber DEFINITELY writes the BEST Christmas books!! She's considered "the official storyteller of Christmas"!! And they are indeed "feel good" books!!

      Glad you love my list!! Thanks for the nice comment!!! <3 :)

      Delete
  5. Why haven't I read any of these books... I'm sure I'd enjoy the majority of them, especially the historical ones. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Stephanie!

      Well, I recommend ALL of these to you! You might not like the Star Trek novel, but then again, you might! As for the others, they are ALL TERRIFIC!!

      Thanks for commenting!! Have a nice weekend!! HUGS!! <3 <3 <3 :) :) :)

      Delete
  6. I haven't read any of these, thanks for the recommendation.
    P.S I couldn't stick to the 'rules' with only 5 either. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Nicola!

      You're very welcome for the recommendations! I know you will enjoy all of these, except for maybe the Star Trek novel, unless you happen to be a Trekkie, like me.

      I think quite a few people were unable to stick to the 'rule' of only mentioning 5 books! Lol.

      Thanks for commenting! Have a great weekend!! <3 :)

      Delete
  7. I have been half - heartedly been trying to put together a list of my favorite novels of the year and I am running in to a similar problem. I always wanting t add just one more.

    I also have been trying to read more science fiction and I intend to do so in 2018. I want to read both older and newer books.

    Happy reading in 2018!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Brian!

      I think this is something common to all of us bookworms, lol. Elizabeth says her list has 17 books!! Lol. It is indeed VERY hard to choose favorites!

      Oh, I sure do want to read more SF!! And I agree -- reading older and newer books sounds like a GREAT idea!!

      Happy reading in 2018 to you, too!! Thanks for the great comment!! <3 :)

      Delete
  8. Sleigh Bells in the Snow is on my TBR. I read Suddenly Last Summer (book 2 in that series) a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Chrissy!

      I've read two Sarah Morgan books so far -- this one, and "Miracle on 5th Avenue", and am now a confirmed fan!

      I need to add "Suddenly Last Summer", now that you've mentioned it!! :) :)

      Thanks for commenting!! <3 :)

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)