Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Can't Wait Wednesday No. 46: Reaper at the Gates, by Sabaaa Tahir





Welcome to "Can't Wait Wednesday"!
   
This is a weekly event hosted by
Tressa @ Wishful Endings, and inspired by "Waiting On Wednesday", which used to be hosted by
 Jill @ Breaking the Spine.

For more information, please click HERE.

As in the previous meme, this one showcases future releases  we book  bloggers 
are eagerly anticipating!!
There's also a Linky widget, so participating blogs can link up!



Here's my choice for this week!


 Reaper at the Gates
(Ember Quartet, Book 3)
Sabaa Tahir
Hardcover, 464 pages
Razorbill
     June 12, 2018       
Fantasy, Young Adult 
   


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30809786-a-reaper-at-the-gates?ac=1&from_search=true






Beyond the Empire and within it, the threat of war looms ever larger.

The Blood Shrike, Helene Aquilla, is assailed on all sides. Emperor Marcus, haunted by his past, grows increasingly unstable, while the Commandant capitalizes on his madness to bolster her own power. As Helene searches for a way to hold back the approaching darkness, her sister’s life and the lives of all those in the Empire hang in the balance.

Far to the east, Laia of Serra knows the fate of the world lies not in the machinations of the Martial court, but in stopping the Nightbringer. But while hunting for a way to bring him down, Laia faces unexpected threats from those she hoped would aid her, and is drawn into a battle she never thought she’d have to fight.

And in the land between the living and the dead, Elias Veturius has given up his freedom to serve as Soul Catcher. But in doing so, he has vowed himself to an ancient power that will stop at nothing to ensure Elias’s devotion—even at the cost of his humanity.




Why I can't wait for this one!

Yup, here's yet another case where I come across the third or fourth novel in a series, and I haven't even read the first one yet!! Lol. It does happen to me very often...... And it's always a series I've heard SO many GREAT things about, too! I think the first book is somewhere in my library, lol. Seriously, I need some sort of Time Machine in order to get these books read!! Anyone know Dr. Who's cell phone number? (Hmmmmm...and they changed the cover style for both the hardcover and the paperback. I'll have to get the paperbacks, then, and what am I going to do with the hardcover?! GRRRRRR!!!!)



The other books in this series. Click on the covers for the Goodreads pages.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20560137-an-ember-in-the-ashes


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25558608-a-torch-against-the-night









Sabaa Tahir grew up in California’s Mojave Desert at her family’s 18-room motel. There, she spent her time devouring fantasy novels, raiding her brother’s comic book stash and playing guitar badly. She began writing An Ember in the Ashes while working nights as a newspaper editor. She likes thunderous Indie rock, garish socks and all things nerd. Sabaa currently lives in the San Francisco Bay Area with her family.






What do you think of my
choice this week? 
Please leave a comment and
let me know!

  

10 comments:

  1. These sound good. Based on the plot descriptions it sounds like a lot is going on in these books. I often find that hearing about the plot of the third or forth book in a series gets me interested in the entire series.

    I also really like some of these covers. I think that they would work well for your Shelf Candy Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Brian!

      You make an excellent point about wanting to get into a series after having come across the third or fourth book! I think that's probably what happens to me, too, except that I never thought of it. But it's probably no coincidence that I have discovered several series in this way. So I think you're right; coming across the third or fourth book probably did get me interested in the series!

      Oh, I LOVE the original covers!!!! I am spitting mad that they've changed them!!!! I don't care for the new ones AT ALL. I've checked out this book at The Book Depository, and they don't have an image for the hardback. I'm willing to bet that TBD ALSO has the new cover....and they just haven't uploaded it yet. GRRRRR!!!!! WHY do publishers do this type of thing?!

      Anyway, thanks for the interesting comment!! <3 :)

      Delete
  2. Lordy for a minute I thought she was releasing a new series before I'd started her last one! LOL! Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Verushka!

      Yeah, it sure looks that way, right? I don't know WHY publishers suddenly change cover styles from one book to another! It drives me crazy!! GRRRR!!! And I don't like the new covers (which are now on her first two books, too) AT ALL. Oh, well.....

      Glad you love my pick!! Thanks for commenting!! <3 <3 <3 :) :) :)

      Delete
  3. I seriously need to start reading her books! I've been hearing nothing but good things about her books! Great pick!

    Here’s my WoW!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ronyell!

      I'm so glad you love my pick!! Yeah, I've heard a LOT of great things about these books, too!!

      Thanks for commenting!! <3 <3 :) :)

      Delete
  4. I wish they would stop changing cover designs for series. It really irritates me. I've heard great things about this series. I hope you had a wonderful holiday and that you have a safe New Year's ahead. We're staying home and celebrating with the pups - I don't like being out on the roads that night. Also, it's colder than Alaska here right now....well, maybe not but it is to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Barb!

      Yeah, I really wish they would stop doing that, too!! And they always do it in the middle of the series!! AAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!! I HATE that!! I MUCH prefer the previous covers!!

      This series is indeed supposed to be great, from what I've heard about it! I'm glad you're interested in it, too!

      I think you've made a very wise choice, staying home with your hubby and the dogs! There are STILL some nut jobs out there who think that firing guns off into the air is FUN!! And then there are the drunk drivers!

      It's in the 60s here right now, although you wouldn't know it in here! I'm actually a little TOO warm right now. Lol. So I actually envy you, up there in the cold. Yeah, I know, that sounds CRAZY! Lol.

      Thanks for commenting!! HUGS FOR YOU & THE BOYS, AND WOOF, WOOF TO THEM, TOO!!! <3 <3 <3 :) :) :)

      Delete
  5. I love this particular cover design - but I know what you mean about changing covers. I'm regularly crashing mid-way into series and MOSTLY get away with it:)). I hope you enjoy this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sarah!

      Oh, I prefer the previous cover style. But I don't know WHY these publishers have to change the cover style in the middle of a series!

      Yeah, I have often discovered a series when I have come across the third or fourth book. It's kinda funny!

      I think I'll enjoy this one!! Thanks for commenting!! <3 :)

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)