Friday, February 26, 2016

Book Blogger Hop No. 39: Do other family members enjoy reading as much as you do?




Welcome to the Book Blogger Hop,
hosted by Billy @


For more information, click HERE.


What to Do

1.) Post on your blog answering this week's
question:

Do your children, siblings, or
other family members enjoy
reading as much as you do?

(submitted by Elizabeth @ Silver's Reviews)

2.)  Enter the link to your post in the
Linky list on Billy's blog.

3.)  Visit other blogs on the list and
comment on their posts. 

4.)  Be sure to find out next week's
question when you visit
Ramblings of a Coffee-Addicted Writer!


My Answer

My mom is the one in the family who always had a passion for books. When she was in her twenties, she used to take a book everywhere with her. She had to take the bus to work, so of course she would read on the bus. 

After Mom started having kids, she no longer had the time to read as much as she had before, but she still managed to do some reading. She was also the one who passed on the love of reading to us kids. She used to read to us when we were little. I was the one who REALLY picked it up, though, and even surpassed her, because I'm a compulsive book buyer. She has always been able to resist buying a new book unless she has already read the ones she has on her shelves. How she's been strong enough to do this, over a long period of time, I have no idea....lol.

Mom doesn't read as much as she used to in the past, though. Besides, her taste in books is somewhat different from mine. We do like some of the same types of nonfiction books, and we both love classics. However, I love fantasy, science fiction, and paranormal romance, as well as urban fantasy. Mom is not at all interested in such books. She says she prefers "reality"!  She's also not interested in Young Adult Fiction, while I certainly am!

As for Dad, he did do some reading, but he was never into it as much as Mom was. However, I remember once, when I was already grown up and married, he asked to borrow my two-volume English translation of "Les Miserables". He did read it, too. 

My two sisters are not interested in books at all, and they can't understand why I keep buying books, either. My husband feels the same way. He has no interest in reading anything except short Internet articles, and has been trying for years to get me to stop buying books so compulsively.

This is the year I do need to get my book buying under control, though, as I no longer have unlimited shelf space. It's not easy, but I have to try! Of course, I will NEVER lose my love of reading!  I really do need to get to all of those fascinating books I already own!! Lol. Wish me luck!!  




What are your thoughts?
Please leave a comment along
with a link to your post,
so I can come check it out! 








14 comments:

  1. This is such an interesting topic Maria.

    We bookish folks often seem to comment those around us often do not share our love of books.

    It is great that your mother is also a reader. I wonder if it is common with readers to have at least one strong reading influence in the family. For me it is my sister. She is much older then me and got me interested in reading at an early age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Brian!

      Indeed it is! To us bookworms, it's incomprehensible that a person would not love books and reading! Lol. And we can't believe that they think our love of books is either not interesting at all, or much too excessive....

      Mom has always loved reading. I was lucky that she read to me as a kid, and really encouraged my interest. She would also take me to the library on a regular basis. Neither of my sisters ever went, that I can recall.

      Dad used to read some, too, but he was never into books the way Mom was.

      How wonderful that your older sister got you started on reading! You can discuss books with her, as well as all of book bloggers! Well, that is, if you guys enjoy reading the same genres. There are probably some differences between the two of you, but you probably do share a liking for certain genres.

      Thanks for the great comment!! : )

      Delete
  2. I can relate to your mother. My reading amount definitely decreased with kids but I still read. I know lots of mothers who say "Oh I just don't have time to read." but you can always squeeze it in. Good luck getting the book buying under control!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Katherine!

      Yeah, it's not easy getting some reading time in when you have kids. However, I have a feeling that all the moms who say that they don't have any time for reading were never really readers in the first place, otherwise, they'd make at least a bit of time for it.

      Thanks for wishing me luck with the book buying! I really do need to work on this, because I have SO many great books sitting on my shelves....

      Thanks for the nice comment!! :)

      Delete
  3. I feel my my reading increased as the kidds got older - but yes, when they are younger it's hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Tonyalee!

      In my mom's case, she never did quite get up to the level she had before we, her daughters, came along. Even after we were older, she still had a lot of housework to attend to, although we helped out, of course.

      Thanks for commenting!! :)

      Delete
  4. It is tough to not want to buy a book. :)

    I didn't read that much when my son was small. I read more to him, but he loves reading, and I definitely read a LOT now.

    Thanks for sharing, and have a wonderful weekend.

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Elizabeth!

      It sure is!! But I really do have to buckle down and read all the wonderful books that are already sitting on my shelves, yearning for my attention....lol.

      I don't have kids, but I can imagine it's not easy for a busy mother to make the time to sit down and REALLY enjoy a book. it's great that you read to him, and that now he's a reader himself! And how wonderful that you're now back to reading a lot! You can also discuss books with him now, too!

      You're very welcome for the sharing! Hope you have a wonderful weekend, too!

      Thanks for commenting back!! <3 :)

      Delete
  5. Oh, that's so great having a mom that loves to read as much as you do!

    My answer <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lulu!

      Yes, it is!! She's the one who encouraged me to raad. She started out reading to me when I was little, and, when I was older, she would take me to the library on a regular basis to check out books.

      Thanks for commenting!! :)

      Delete
  6. I solved part of your problem. I have a Nook and a Kindle so I now buy eBooks and I can hide my evidence. Also my house is all windows so we only have 2 smaller bookcases and they are filled with sewing books, my husbands books, and my irreplaceable book series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Teri!

    Oh, I've tried that, but the thing is, I LOVE printed books, so I keep buying them.... I have more than 100 ebooks on my phone, but I still prefer physical books. Lol.

    Thanks for the suggestion, and thanks for commenting back!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can never imagine losing my love for reading either. I came by my love of reading through two parents who loved to read. My father was more of the "book collector" in our family, and I like to lovingly blame him for my bursting shelves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Wendy!

      You were so lucky to have two parents who loved reading! Well, my dad did read, just not as much as my mom.

      How interesting that your dad was the book collector! I don't know where I get that from, since neither of my parents was ever obsessive about buying books. But I think most of us bookworm have the problem of "bursting" shelves. Nice way to put it, lol!

      Thanks for commenting back!! :)

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)