Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Waiting On Wednesday #83: Proxima, by Stephen Baxter




This is a weekly event hosted by
It showcases future releases which
we book bloggers are
eagerly anticipating!!




Here's my choice for this week!




Hardcover, 464 pages
Gollancz
September 19, 2013
Science Fiction


Fantastic Fiction Synopsis

The very far future: The Galaxy is a drifting wreck of black holes, neutron stars, chill white dwarfs. The age of star formation is long past. Yet there is life here, feeding off the energies of the stellar remnants, and there is mind, a tremendous Galaxy-spanning intelligence each of whose thoughts lasts a hundred thousand years. And this mind cradles memories of a long-gone age when a more compact universe was full of light ...The 27th century: Proxima Centauri, an undistinguished red dwarf star, is the nearest star to our sun - and (in this fiction), the nearest to host a world, Proxima IV, habitable by humans. But Proxima IV is unlike Earth in many ways. Huddling close to the warmth, orbiting in weeks, it keeps one face to its parent star at all times. The 'substellar point', with the star forever overhead, is a blasted desert, and the 'antistellar point' on the far side is under an ice cap in perpetual darkness. How would it be to live on such a world? Needle ships fall from Proxima IV's sky. Yuri Jones, with 1000 others, is about to find out ...Proxima tells the amazing tale of how we colonise a harsh new eden, and the secret we find there that will change our role in the Universe for ever.





 Why am I waiting on this book?


I love science fiction, and this one
sure sounds like a fascinating novel!
How would we live in such a
mind-boggling time?
The cover is absolutely gorgeous,
promising to bring
incredible surprises and great adventures! 




What do you think of my choice?
What fascinating book(s)
are you eagerly anticipating
this week?






6 comments:

  1. Interesting pick. Thanks for sharing :)

    follower

    http://www.itchingforbooks.com/2013/07/waiting-on-wednesday-56-landry-park.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Shane!

      Yeah, isn't it? Glad you like it! You're very welcome for the share!

      Thanks for the visit and the comment!! : )

      Delete
  2. This Book sounds really good, I'm really into sci fi right now. The cover looks fantastic too. Nice pick and thanks for stopping by my WoW :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Monique!

      Oh, I LOVE science fiction!! I haven't read any in a while now, and I want to do something about that! Glad you like this book.

      You're very welcome for my visit and comment to your WOW. Thanks for reciprocating!! : )

      Delete
  3. Wow, this one sounds really great.

    It sounds a little like the kind of story that was more popular twenty to thirty years ago. The idea of enormous intelligent minds spanning galaxies has always been an interesting possibility. I think that I first ran into the possibility in an Isaac Asimov book.

    I may give this one a read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Brian!

      Yeah, I really like the sound of it!!

      Come to think of it, you're right about this story being more popular around 30 years ago. And I agree -- it DOES sound like something Asimov would have written.

      I'm glad you're thinking of reading it! Thanks for visiting and commenting!! : )

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)