Friday, July 26, 2013

Book Blogger Hop #28 (7/26 - 8/1): How do you organize your blooks to be read?




Welcome to the new
Book Blogger Hop,
hosted by Billy @
He took over this hop from
Jennifer @ Crazy For Books.
I'm so glad he decided to
continue with this weekly feature!
For more information, click HERE.


What to Do

1.) Post on your blog answering this week's
question:

How do you organize your books
to be read?

2.)  Enter the link to your post in the
Linky list on Bill's blog.

3.)  Visit other blogs on the list and
comment on their posts. 

4.)  Be sure to find out next week's
question when you visit Bill's blog!


My Answer


The short and simple answers is: I don't!  

The longer, expanded answer is: I don't, because I'm a completely disorganized person.  I've been that way my whole life, my mother's patient (and not so patient) efforts notwithstanding.  Alas, my vast collection, although much loved by me, is all over the place!  Although I do have several TBR shelves on Goodreads and Shelfari, a lot of them contain books I don't own (yet).  Also, most of the books I do own are not on these lists.  It would be nice to put them all on the lists, but what a time-consuming job that would be!! 

Even if I did put all of my owned books on the lists I've mentioned, it wouldn't guarantee my reading them in the order they appear on these lists.  A book I buy today may be read three years from now, or this very afternoon, as the mood strikes me.  And when it strikes.....well, then I'm off and running!  

I've had books waiting for me to read them (on my home shelves) for years now.....but I buy new ones that catch my eye, and the older ones languish on my shelves, probably feeling jealous of their shinier, newer brethren....until the day one of them captures my attention, and then I will lovingly and tenderly open its cover, and start reading it.  I have been known to do this in the middle of a dusting/organizing project.  Once plucked from the shelf, the lucky book will settle down with me in my favorite chair (or maybe I'll start reading it while standing, one elbow leaning on the shelf, where the duster lies abandoned.... Of course, my cleaning project is entirely forgotten while I get lost in the book). 

Take a look at these pictures, and then you tell me if there's any hope of their ever getting organized for any future reading.....lol.  I do hope to get to them someday, though! 




Floor-to-ceiling shelves along one wall
of our bedroom.....



These are on my night table, as well as
part of the headboard!





What do you think of my answer?
How do you organize your books to be read, or are you a free spirit,
like me?
Leave me a comment, and
let me know!









19 comments:

  1. I do love the photos, never thought of that. You have a lot more lying on your shelves than myself, I think I am a mini version of your version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kathryn!

      Oh,, but there's still more! I also have FIVE floor-to-ceiling shelves in the living room. Also, one couch is stacked high with piles and piles of books. From time to time, my non-bookworm hubby chides me on that account....

      Anyway, I know there's no hope of me EVER getting all these treasures organized! Lol.

      Thanks for the visit and the comment!! : )

      Delete
  2. Though I must admit that I have always organized books , even long before I was married and my wife organized our house, also organizing books alphabetically , I love your system am photos! There is something cozy and fun about randomly stacked books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Brian!

      Oh, I LOVE the way you put it: "There is something cozy and fun about randomly stacked books!" Indeed there is!! I don't see myself organizing them anytime soon, either. So I'm REALLY glad you like my random stacks!!

      Thanks for another great comment!! : )

      Delete
  3. Love your photos. Great organizing. Unfortunately I am not a free spirit. I am a business teacher and HAVE to be organized. LOL!!

    I use an Excel spreadsheet to keep my books in the order I need to read them.

    Stop by for my full, organized answer if you like. :)

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Elizabeth!

      Oh, my gosh!! An Excel spreadsheet? Never in a million years would I do that!! Lol. But hey, everybody's different. In spite of the fact that my dad's a CPA, I never did like accounting. So no Excel spreadsheets for me.

      Glad you love the photos! I LOVE all my babies!!!!

      Thanks for the great comment!! I'll head on over to read your answer! : )

      Delete
  4. Loved your answer and your honesty. As much as I would like to be more organized I'm I just can't seem to stick to a schedule, so I've stopped trying.
    Here's my BBH
    http://moniquesmobooks.blogspot.ca/2013/07/book-blogger-hop-5-july-26th-aug-1st.html

    Happy Hopping :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Monique!

      Oh, thanks so much for the compliment!

      My problem is just like yours; I, too, have tried to be more organized, but it's just impossible! So I've just accepted that this is the way I am. Lol.

      Thanks for the great comment! I'll be going over to your blog to read your answer!! : )

      Delete
  5. I love your answer- and how you personify your books. I know there are books on my shelf huffing resentfully because I haven't picked them up since stuffing them there years ago. Good luck with your reading/organizing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Susan!

      Oh, thank you!! And yes, I personify them because, to me, they're people! (Heck, I even HUG favorite books! Lol.)

      Hey, I like that you're saying your books are "huffing resentfully"! What a funny image! If books could talk....lol.

      Thank you so much for such a nice comment!! Happy reading!! : )

      Delete
  6. Your bedroom looks like mine! I have piles of books stacked everywhere, and I keep buying books anyway.

    I used to be way more of a free spirit when it came to my TBR list, but now that I actually have ARCs, I feel like I should be more organized. It's why I put together an Excel spreadsheet to organize them all by release date.

    My BBH Answer

    Ashling @ Reading, Writing, & Anything but Arithmetic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ashling!

      Oh, funny!! Yep, I, too, continue to buy books, even though I already have piles and piles of them! Lol.

      So now you have a spreadsheet? You must have been talking to Elizabeth, over at Siver's Reviews.... : )

      Thank you so much for such a great comment!! Happy reading!!

      (P.S. By the way, I hate arithmetic, too!!)

      Delete
  7. Your TBR pile looks very familiar :D I am not very organized either, and tend to read whatever strikes my fancy. I like your response!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Anja!

      I'm sure we aren't the only ones with this type of TBR pile, either....lol. Disorganized book lovers of the world, UNITE!! Hee, hee....

      Thanks for the compliment and the nice comment!! : )

      Delete
  8. OMG Maria so many books! You look like you've got a 2nd hand bookstore in there LOL I love it!

    Friday Hop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Angelica!

      Oh, but this is NOTHING. I have FIVE floor-to-ceiling shelves in the living room. Plus books stacked up on the couch, plus an entertainment unit that I took over from my hubby for my books....Yes, it DOES look like a second-hand bookstore, doesn't it? But I'm not selling any of them! (I can only get rid of books I don't like!) I'm so glad you like it!

      Thanks so much for commenting back!! : )

      Delete
  9. OMG! You weren't kidding about books being everywhere in your house! I'm jealous though. I wish I could have so many without getting claustrophobic, having my mom nag at me and threatening to throw them away, or the money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Vonnie!

      Ha! This is nothing! I have many more in the living room!! See my reply to Angelica. As for feeling claustrophobic, nah. I LOVE being surrounded by books!! I must admit, though, that sometimes I do feel overwhelmed...that's when I start thinking, "When am I EVER going to read them all?"

      You know, I really have to go through them and see which ones I DON'T want. But do that, I need TIME -- time to read them and see if I like them, and time to gather them up and take them to the nearest public library.

      Thanks so much for commenting back!! : )

      Delete
    2. P.S. When I was living at home, my mom used to nag me about the books, too. Now it's my HUSBAND who nags me!! Lol.

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)