Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Can't Wait Wednesday No. 88: Last of Her Name, by Jessica Khoury





Welcome to "Can't Wait Wednesday"!


This is a weekly event hosted by
Tressa @ Wishful Endings!
This is also where we excited book bloggers showcase future releases we're eagerly anticipating! 
For more information, 
please click HERE.


There's also a Linky widget, so participating blogs can link up!




Here's my choice for this week!



 Last of Her Name
Jessica Khoury
Hardcover,  400 pages
Scholastic Press
   February 26, 2019
Historical Retellings, Science Fiction, 
Young Adult Fiction

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39983511-last-of-her-name






Sixteen years ago, rebellion swept the galaxy known as the Belt of Jewels. Every member of the royal family was murdered--down to their youngest child, Princess Anya--and the Union government rose in its place. But Stacia doesn't think much about politics. She spends her days half-wild, rambling her father's vineyard with her closest friends, Clio and Pol.

That all changes the day a Union ship appears in town, carrying the leader of the Belt himself, the Direktor Eminent. The Direktor claims that Princess Anya is alive, and that Stacia's sleepy village is a den of empire loyalists, intent on hiding her. When Stacia is identified as the lost princess, her provincial home explodes into a nightmare.

Pol smuggles her away to a hidden escape ship in the chaos, leaving Clio in the hands of the Union. With everything she knows threading away into stars, Stacia sets her heart on a single mission. She will find and rescue Clio, even with the whole galaxy on her trail.



 Why I can't wait for this one!

OMG!!!! This is DEFINITELY exciting!!! It's a retelling, and a HISTORICAL one, at that! I have always been intrigued and fascinated by the true story of the Romanovs of Russia, and the long-standing legend (which might, after all, be true) that Princess Anastasia survived the massacre of her family. In this novel, Jessica Khoury cleverly tells the tale again, through the medium of science fiction!! I'm snapping this one up the minute it releases!!!! YAAAAAASS!!!!!



For more information on this author, you can check out her
Goodreads profile HERE!





What do you think of my
choice this week? 
Please leave a comment and
let me know!



18 comments:

  1. I'm obsessed with retellings!! They're so amazing!! I also adore the font on this cover! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Amy!

      I am, too!! And this one is ESPECIALLY interesting to me!!

      The font used on the title is pretty unique, although I must confess I don't like it quite as much as you do. :)

      Nevertheless, I have just pre-ordered this book!!

      Glad you love retelllings just as much as I do!!! <3 M<3

      Thanks for the enthusiastic comment!! HUGS!!!! <3 <3 <3 :) :) :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds very good. Evan as I was reading the plot description I was thinking about The Russian Revolution and its aftermath. That event was so tragic but interesting. It can be the source of a lot of fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Brian!

      First off, sorry for the late reply.....:( I've just been VERY busy with schoolwork lately!

      I know there have been several books dealing with fictionalized accounts of the events leading up to The Russian Revolution -- especially the fate of the Romanov family, which was so sad.... I think several movies have been made, as well, all focusing on the supposed survival of Anastasia, the daughter of the Tsar. Fascinating stuff, indeed! I need to google the topic and see what comes up in fiction and films.

      This book does sound very good! I LOVE the SF angle! I've already pre-ordered it from Amazon, by the way.

      Thanks for commenting!! <3 :)

      Delete
  3. Great choice! There is another Romanov retelling coming out this year (that I know of) so it seems to be a popular topic. I'm adding this to my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Tammy!

      First of all, I apologize for he late reply.....:( I've just been INCREDIBLY busy in "the real world" recently.

      Glad you love my choice!! :)

      Oh, there's ANOTHER Romanov retelling coming up later this year? Yes, throughout the years since the tragic events leading up to The Russian Revolution, there have been several retellings -- I know several movies have been made about Princess Anastasia, who supposedly survived the massacre of her entire family.

      It's GREAT to know that I've helped to add to your TBR!

      Thanks for commenting!! <3 :)

      Delete
  4. I think I saw this somewhere else this week - maybe an email I received or a web article. It does sound interesting and I can see why you would enjoy it. Wonderful pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Barb!

      So sorry for the late reply.....:( I'm now trying to catch up!

      I have already pre-ordered this book. I think it's going to be AMAZING!! I have been intrigued by the story of Anastasia, the Tsar's daughter, who was said to have survived the massacre of her family.

      Thanks for commenting!! <3 :)

      Delete
  5. Ooh this sounds really neat! I'm all for Romanov-inspired stories. Definitely checking this one out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jordan!

      First off, sorry for the late reply.....:( Been trying desperately to catch up!

      Yes, I LOVE Romanov-inspired stories, too!! Hope you enjoy this book, if you get it!

      Thanks for commenting!! <3 :)

      Delete
  6. It's the first I've heard of this one. It sounds intriguing. Hope you enjoy it! My Waiting on Wednesday post is a fairy tale retelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Laura!

      I apologize for the late reply.....:( Things have been pretty hectic around here of late! Now trying to catch up!

      Hope you enjoy this one, if you decide to get it! :)

      Thanks for commenting!! <3 :)

      Delete
  7. Ooh this is the new Jessica Khoury book- I've read a couple of hers. And she's branching out into more outer space kinda SF I see- plus the retelling. Should be lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Breg!

      first of all, I am so sorry for the late reply.....:( "the real world" has been attacking me lately! :)

      I have never read any of Khoury's books, but I've pre-ordered this one already! The thing is, I LOVE stories about ehe Romaniovs!! This one should be GREAT, what with the SF angle!

      Thanks for commenting!! <3 :)

      Delete
  8. I absolutely LOVE that cover and this one sounds right up my alley! Thank you for sharing it Maria - I'm going to see if I can get hold of it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sarah!

      First off, I apologize for the late reply.....:( I've just been much TOO busy of late! Now trying to catch up....

      Yes, this cover is very dynamic!! And I LOVE the plot!!

      You're very welcome for the sharing!! Hope you enjoy it, if you decide to buy it!!

      Thanks for commenting!! HUGS!!! <3 <3 <3 :) :) :)

      Delete
  9. Oh noooo... I've just nicked over to Amazon and it's only going to be available in hardback for the ridiculous price of 14 quid:(. Boo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, again!

      Yeah, sometimes hardbacks are MUCH too expensive!! That's why I frequently order the trade paperback, if available. But, of course, since the book will be published this month, it's gong to be expensive.....

      I pre-ordered mine, and it came to a total of $13.18. That's 10.08 in British pounds.

      By the way, I had no idea what "quid" was in British parlance, and found out it's a slang term for "pound" (in reference to money, of course). How interesting! Love learning new stuff!! :)

      You should see some of the prices on recently released hardbacks at my local Barnes & Noble. Some of them can go as high as $27.99!! That's 21.41 British pounds!! (Good ol' Google has given me all of this GREAT information! Lol.)

      Thanks for commenting again!! CHEERS!! <3 <3 <3 :) :) :)

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)