Sunday, December 16, 2018

Shelf Candy Saturday No. 270: Let It Snow, by John Green, Maureen Johnson, and Lauren Myracle



Welcome to Shelf Candy Saturday!



***Late Edition***
This is my weekly feature
showcasing beautiful covers!
It also provides information, 
if available, on their 
very talented creators!



Here's my choice for this week!




Let It Snow
 John Green, Maureen Johnson,
Lauren Myracle
Trade Paperback, 352 pages
Speak
October 2, 2008
Anthologies, Christmas Romance,
Contemporary Romance
Young Adult Fiction

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16081588-let-it-snow






My Thoughts About This Cover

This is a beautiful cover precisely because of the simplicity of its design. It's also bold and bright! Additionally, it has a touch of whimsy to it, due to those snowflake-shaped paper cutouts. The cover artist also very cleverly included each author's name inside each paper cutout. 

The look of this cover is very clean and uncluttered, as well. The main visual impact is delivered by the paper cutouts, but the font used for the title is great, and very much in keeping with the overall playful feeling of the design. I just have a little quibble about the title; I wish it had been a bit bigger. The red font color would have popped much more, placed against that lovely, gradually shaded, mint-green background.  However, I'm very happy about the fact that those paper snowflakes take up most of the cover! It just makes it SO memorable, I think! 

One more thing about the paper snowflakes: each one is totally unique, which gives the cover some visual variety. Interestingly, the snowflakes are somewhat similar at the same time. The result is, paradoxically, a unified, cohesive design.

Well..... I have been unable to find any information on this cover artist, whose design, in my honest opinion, is not only fun and upbeat, but also brilliant! I do own this book, but alas, have looked for it all through my shelves, and have not found it.... (I need to look through the books that sit BEHIND other books, too, but that is SO time-consuming....lol.) Heck, I have SO many books already crammed into this apartment that I am not sure exactly where many of them are, when I need them at a moment's notice! Lol. On several occasions, I've even bought the same book TWICE, having forgotten that I already owned it.....only to come across the first copy a few days after buying the second one!! LOL, LOL, LOL. Oh, the woes of a die-hard bookworm!  :)

  
 

What do you think of 
this week's cover?
Please leave a comment
and let me know!










6 comments:

  1. The cover works well. As you mention it is simple but there is something to be said for understatement. The uniqueness of each snowflake is neat and adds a lot. I like how the artist included thier shadows in the picture. The cover works well. As you mention it is simple but there is something to be said for understatement. The uniqueness of each snowflake is neat and adds a lot. I like how the artist included thier shadows in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Brian!

      Yes, I agree. Sometimes understatement works VERY well! And you're right, too, about the shadows. I didn't mention them in the post, but they are indeed very effective, giving the paper snowflakes a three-dimensional feel. And the uniqueness of each snowflake is very effective as well. However, the fact that they're all the same size, and the authors' names are done in the same style, also makes them similar enough that the design looks cohesive.

      All in all, I LOVE this cover!! :)

      Thanks for the interesting comment!! <3 :)

      Delete
  2. I’ve read it with a different cover. The cutouts were there, but separate, with a pretty blue cover.

    A delightful book, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sue!

      Yes, I've seen the cover you're talking about . I do prefer the one I've analyzed here, though. It looks much more appealing, in my honest opinion.

      Oh, you've read this book? Cute, engaging stories, don't you think? I thoroughly enjoyed it, and would LOVE to read it again!!

      Thanks for the nice comment!! <3 :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, great fun! I read it on my niece’s recommendation and donated it to my school library, where the girls thoroughly enjoyed it.

      Delete
    3. Hi, again!

      I'm SO glad you enjoyed it! I LOVE Young Adult Fiction, even though I'm definitely not in that age group. Lol. But it gives me such an EXHILARATING feeling! Besides, I live through experiences I never had when I was in high school -- vicariously, of course.

      I'm glad the girls at school enjoyed it so much!

      Thanks for commenting again!! <3 :)

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)