Friday, October 12, 2012

Book Blogger Hop #12 (10/12 - 10/18): Autumn Reads



 
 
Welcome to
the Book Blogger Hop!


This is where bloggers and readers
connect every week!

This wonderful blog hop is
hosted by
Jennifer @ Crazy for Books!

For several weeks,
a different blog will be hosting
the hop for Jennifer each week,
until she returns from hiatus.

This week, the host is, once again,
Erica @

What To Do:


1. Post on your blog answering this question:

With autumn upon us and
Halloween drawing near,
what books remind you of fall?
Which ones do you
enjoy reading that are about
autumn?

2. Enter the link to your post in the
Linky list at this week's blog,
with your blog's name, genre you review,
and a direct link to your post.

3. Visit other blogs on the list.
This blog hop isn't about the number of
people you can visit,
but the quality of each visit.
Find new blogs to read by clicking
through the links on the list!


My Answer:
 
This season marks the beginning of what I like to call 'the cozy time'.  The days are shorter, and the nights therefore more mysterious...  The moon   sails the whispering breeze, dominating the inky darkness glimmering with stars.  Soon the brightly-lit, carved pumpkins will begin to dot neighboring lawns. There's a nip in the air, too.  During this time of year, I feel like being at home more often, especially at night.  I also feel like curling up with a good book and getting lost in a fantasy world of suspenseful adventure, mixed with paranormal romance. 

The book that immediately comes to mind when thinking of this season is Twilight, by Stephenie Meyer.  Although I love the entire Twilight Saga, this one, the first in the series, is my favorite.
 

 

 
 
 
The original, black cover edition.
 
 
 
 
The white cover edition,
published in the UK.
 
 
The images created by the author of this beloved series are definitely reminiscent of autumn.  The gloomy, mysterious setting of Forks, in the state of Washingon, USA, is perfect for the season!  There are secrets hidden in the forest, secrets Bella will soon discover...  Also, Bella's house is on the very edge of the forest, while the Cullen residence is located in its depths.  She must go through the forest with Edward in order to get to his house.  There's also a very special meadow where Bella and Edward will discover just how much they really mean to each other...
 
This autumn atmosphere carries through all four books of  the series, but it's the first book that sets the mood for the other three.  So I might just pick it up again this year!  After all, I've only read it three times!
 
 
 
 
What do you think of my choice?
Which books remind you
of autumn,
with all its air of mystery
and the unknown?
 
 
 
 
 

10 comments:

  1. I really miss living in the northeast and experiences a "true" fall with piles of leaves, hurricane weather, and pumpkin patches.

    Halloween just isn't the same when it's still 100 degrees outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Lizzy!

    Oh, I yearn for a REAL autumn!! I've never even seen one! I've been in Miami, Florida, all my life. We really don't have seasons here -- it's either unbearably HOT, or a little cool. To us natives, though, it IS cold when the temperature goes down to 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Snow birds who visit think we're crazy, and walk around in their shirt sleeves. Lol.

    Needless to say, we don't have ANY leaves falling from the trees. Interestingly, that happens in April. Go figure!

    So I can really relate to your "autumn nostalgia"...

    Thanks for commenting back!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey thanks for the birthday wishes (a few months ago :)). I agree. Atleast, I think I do. We don't have autumn in my country so I'm not sure. And I love the white cover edition of Twilight. I've never seen it before.

    I also love your header. Did you make it yourself? It's gorgeous and adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Kimberley!

    Oh, you're very welcome for the birthday wishes!! It's GREAT to have you back!!

    I'm so glad you like the white cover edition of Twilight. All four books were published in white, about a year ago, I think. I ordered mine from eBay.

    Thanks for complimenting the header!! I wish I had created it, but no... it's free Halloween wallpaper that I found on Google. All I did was add my blog's name, in a font named "Jokerman". Yes, it IS gorgeous and adorable!! I didn't want a scary Halloween header, but did want to feature the holiday in my header. So, when I came across this image, I KNEW it was perfect for the header!!

    BTW, I'm preparing my Shelf Candy Saturday post. Hope you participate!

    Thanks for commenting!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to say that it is not really autumn for everyone but then I realized that you would know that better then me Maria.

    We are beginning to get into the thick of it here on Long Island. As for fall and things that are bookish, I will be about 100 miles north tomorrow and am hoping to actually get in a visit to what seems like a very interesting old cemetery that contains Washington Irving's gravesite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Brian!

    Oh, I sure do!! Not a single brown leaf on the ground down here... I hate that!! Everything I wrote about autumn in the post refers to what I've seen in movies and photographs. I wish I could see a REAL autumn!

    You're SO lucky to be going north! And what an interesting, if creepy, visit... Washington Irving's gravesite...WOW. Well, hope you have a fascinating time!

    Thanks for commenting!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your description..cozy with a little nip in the air. :)

    Stop by my blog if you like.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    http://silversolara.blogspot.com/2012/10/book-blogger-hop-1012-1018_12.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Calling it the "cozy time" is so great, and so true. The weather has just turned cold in my area, and I've been enjoying curling up with a book under a blanket. Thanks for your beautiful description of the season!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Elizabeth!

    Thank you for the compliment, as well as the comment!! I'll go check out your own reply to this question! : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Cheryl!

    Oh, yeah...nothing like curling up with a good book under a blanket! Glad you enjoyed my description! You're very welcome for that!Thanks for the compliment and the visit!! : )

    ReplyDelete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)