Saturday, January 10, 2015

Shelf Candy Saturday # 139: Between Two Thorns, by Emma Newman

 


Welcome to Shelf Candy Saturday!!


This is my weekly feature
showcasing beautiful book covers!
It also provides information,
if available, on their very talented creators!

For more information
about Shelf Candy Saturday,
simply go HERE.



Here's my choice for this week!



Between Two Thorns
(The Split Worlds, #1)
Trade Paperback, 400 pages
Angry Robot
February 26, 2013
Contemporary Fiction, Fantasy,
Paranormal Fiction, Science Fiction,
Urban Fantasy,  Young Adult Fiction


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15797394-between-two-thorns?ac=1





My Thoughts About This Cover

The beauty of this cover lies in the exquisitely done calligraphy, with all of its slashing flourishes. The title and series title actually take center stage, which is something cover artists/designers focus on, at times.

This ornate font -- which I'm sure has been further embellished -- has a certain Arabic flair to it, as well as a medieval one, too. It is just simply gorgeous in the extreme!

Echoing the letters of the title and series title are the gracefully curving vines along each side of the cover. These vines have little eyes located around the middle of the way up, which gives them an obvious touch of fantasy. At the bottom of the left-hand corner (as the viewer looks at this cover), there's a red poppy, which makes a stark contrast with this predominantly dark-toned violet background, which is lovely as well.

Last but not least, I also like the bridge that spans the trailing thorn vines on each side of the cover.

I wish I knew who designed this delightful cover, but alas, I have no idea.....The Amazon reader has been of help whatsoever.... So I will not have this information until I actually own this book, which I most assuredly plan on doing!
 
 
  
What do you think of my 
choice this week?
Please leave a comment
and let me know!







2 comments:

  1. I like a lot about this cover. I do like the background the best. There is something dark and mysterious about it. There really is something about those eyes!

    I like the calligraphy too. However I think that the title clashes a little too much with the background. Perhaps it would have worked a little better had it not been in such bright white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Brian!

      I agree -- the background has a definite air of mystery about it, especially with those strange eyes!

      As for the calligraphy, now that you mention it, I think you're right -- the title should have been done in another color, or perhaps not have been done in such a glaringly white tone. Maybe it would have looked better if it were grayer, or perhaps slightly yellow, or a light shade of the red of the poppy flower. You know, I hadn't picked up on this until you mentioned it. Great point! Other than this, I am totally in love with the calligraphy. But yes, it's much too white.

      Thanks for the great comment!! : )

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)