Saturday, January 26, 2013

Stacking The Shelves #1



  
This is a weekly book meme/blog hop hosted by Lili @ Tynga's ReviewsAs the title implies, this is all about sharing the books you're adding to your shelves, be they physical or virtual.  For the complete rules and to sign up, just click on the link above.

I'm very excited about joining this great hop!  This week, I popped by my favorite store, Barnes & Noble, and got two terrific books!!  I also received two books for review.  Hope you enjoy browsing through my nice, little haul!



Books I bought:



The Raven Boys (Raven Cycle #1)
Maggie Stiefvater
Hardover, 409 pages
Published by Scholastic Press on Sept. 18, 2012
Paranormal Romance, Urban Fantasy, YA

From the Goodreads Synopsis

Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them—not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her.

His name is Gansey, and Blue soon discovers that he is a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble.





Dark Star (Dark Star #1)
Hardcover, 368 pages
Published by Disney Hyperion on
October 23, 2012
Paranormal Romance, Dystopian Fiction, Urban Fantasy, YA
From the Goodreads Synopsis
Audrey Whitticomb has nothing to fear. Her mother is the superhero Morning Star, the most deadly crime-fighter in the Twin Cities, so it's hard for Audrey not to feel safe. That is, until she's lured into the sweet night air by something human and not human....

Now Audrey knows the truth: her mom doesn't fight crime at night. She fights Harrowers--livid, merciless beings who were trapped Beneath eons ago.



Books Received For Review:
Moonstone (Unbidden Magic #1)
Marilee Brothers
Trade Paperback, 236 pages
Published by Bell Bridge Books on August 1, 2008
Fantasy, Young Adult Fiction

From the Goodreads Synopsis

A sickly mom. A tiny house trailer. High school bullies and snarky drama queens. Bad-guy dudes with charming smiles. Allie has problems. And then there's that whole thing about fulfilling a magical prophecy and saving the world from evil. Geez. Welcome to the sad, funny, sometimes-scary world of fifteen-year-old Allie Emerson, who's struggling to keep her and her mom's act together in the small-town world of Peacock Flats,Washington....Allie realizes she's got a destiny to live up to. If she can just survive everyday life, in the meantime.




Trade Paperback, 342 pages
Published by Mascherato Publishing on December 17, 2012
Science fantasy, Young Adult Fiction
From the Goodreads Synopsis
Charlie’s the kind of boy that no one notices. Hell, even his own mother can’t remember his name. And girls? The invisible man gets more dates.

As if that weren’t enough, when a mysterious clockwork man tries to kill him in modern day Philadelphia, and they tumble through a hole into 1725 London, Charlie realizes even the laws of time don’t take him seriously.

Still, this isn’t all bad. In fact, there’s this girl, another time traveler, who not only remembers his name, but might even like him!







What exciting books did you
get this week?









16 comments:

  1. I really need to get my hands on a copy of The Raven Boys. I'm a huge fan of Maggie Stiefvater. I hope you enjoy everything!

    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Krystianna!

    Would you believe I haven't read anything by her yet? I have the Wolves of Mercy Falls series, and have yet to get it! Now I've got The Raven Boys. I sure do want to read it!!

    Thanks for dropping by and commenting!! I'm heading over to see your blog!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not published any books. I've never sold my work. For now you can only find it on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. Leovi!

    I LOVE reading books that contain fantasy elements. I don't really like books that are too close to reality.

    I'm so sorry you haven't published any books...I'd sure love to have one, full of your wonderful work!!! I'll keep visiting your blog, because I need to see your creations!

    Thanks for dropping by and commenting!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice haul, Maria! I have heard nothing but amazing things about The Raven Boys, so I hope you enjoy it! Also, Moonstone sounds really interesting, I'll have to check it out.

    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog earlier, and thanks for the follow! I'm following your blog as well. I really like your blog header, it's very eye-catching! =D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Shanon!

    Yeah, I know that The Raven Boys is supposed to be TERRIFIC, and I'm so excited at the prospect of reading it!

    You're more than welcome for the follow, and thanks for following back!! As for the blog header, it was designed by Jennifer Johnson @ Sapphire Blog Designs. She's very, very talented!! Plus, she loves the color blue just as much as I do! Lol.

    Thanks for commenting back, as well!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Raven Boys is on my wishlist! Haven't heard anything but great things about it!

    Adding Dark Star to my wishlist as well now!

    Happy Reading!

    Melanie @ Review of YA Lit
    My STS

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Melanie!

    Yeah, seeing the name "Maggie Stiefvater" on a book pretty much guarantees that it'll be good. Can't wait to read it!!

    I saw "Dark Star" somewhere months ago, and featured it in a WOW post. I was finally able to get it!! YAY!!!

    Thanks for commenting, and I'm heading over to your STS post!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice! First two are on my TBR pile as well, great reads.

    Enjoy your books! :)
    My haul this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooh, Raven Boys! Hadn't heard of Dark Star yet! Sounds interesting! Hope you love all your new reads! <3
    -heather

    ReplyDelete
  11. It seems that The Raven Boy's uses a very interesting but old idea, that of seeing someone's death before it happens. I think that going back this plot has been used many times but it is an intriguing concept that can be taken in many directions.

    A really great example of this kind of tale pops into my head; an old Twilight Zone episode called "The Purple Testament."

    I will look forward to your commentary on this book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Raven Boys was awesome. I hope you love all your new books. Your books look awesome indeed...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kate:

    Thanks for dropping by and commenting! Heading over to your blog! :)

    Ula:

    How nice that you have the first two on your TBR, as well! Heading over to your blog! :)

    Heather:

    Oh, I KNOW I'll love "The Raven Boys"! "Dark Star" is supposed to be excellent, as well!

    Thanks for commenting back!! :)

    Brian:

    Oh, of course it's nothing new. So I'm interested to see what Stiefvater does with it!

    I've only seen one or two Twilight Zone episodes in my life, and believe me, I don't want to see any more!! I can't stand the horror genre. One of the episodes I saw had to do with a woman who remained forever young by absorbing the energies of men she dated -- thanks to a scarab beetle...who killed the men in the process. I'm sorry I ever watched it.

    Thanks for commenting!! :)

    Grace:

    Gee, I can't wait to read "The Raven Boys"! Everyone's been singing its praises! Glad you liked it. I'm heading over to your blog. Thanks for the great comment!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so curious about The Raven Boys. I haven't read anything by that author but she has some huge fans so I definitely want to read some of her work soon. I also really like the cover for Dark Star! Awesome haul this week!

    I also wanted to say thank you for the incredible comment you left on my blog! It's always nice to read sweet comments from people you know actually took an interest into what you are doing. So thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, Jenni!

    Wow, I'm getting SO many comments about "The Raven Boys"!! Gotta get to that one this year! As for "Dark Star", you know it's GOT to be kick-butt, so I hope you can pick it up pretty soon.

    You're very welcome for my comments on your STS post! I LOVED that video! It was interesting as well as funny! I totally enjoyed it. And I don't believe in leaving short comments just to show I commented. I like to leave MEANINGFUL comments that actually show my reaction to the post.

    Thanks for commenting back!! :)

    ReplyDelete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)