Saturday, June 11, 2016

Shelf Candy Saturday No. 181: This Adventure Ends, by Emma Mills



Welcome to Shelf Candy Saturday!


This is my weekly feature
showcasing beautiful covers!
It also provides information, 
if available, on their 
very talented creators!


Here's my choice for this week!




This Adventure Ends 
Emma Mills

Hardcover, 320 pages
October 4 , 2016
  Art, Contemporary Romance,
Young Adult Fiction


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27779275-this-adventure-ends




My Thoughts About This Cover

This is a great example of a simply-designed cover that is absolutely stunning! I love everything about it -- the color (of course!), the stars, which are not all the same, because they alternately 'hide' in the  thick, painterly swirls of the color. It actually looks as if one could touch the ridges of paint  piled upon paint.

The main reason I love this cover, though, is that I feel it qualifies as a modern painting, and could hang in a gallery. It also reminds me of two very famous artists: Vincent Van Gogh, and Jasper Johns.

Van Gogh is one of my favorite artists of all time (although Michelangelo is my absolute favorite). He is best known for his later painting style, which features thick swirls of paint and bright colors, both of which show his passionate feelings about the world around him. 




Starry Night
Vincent Van Gogh
1889



Another artist whose work I like -- although not as much as Van Gogh's -- is Jasper Johns. What I like the most is the very tactile brushstrokes he uses, which are also evident in the book cover above. In fact, I believe that the artist who created this cover may very possibly have had these two artists in mind -- especially Johns -- when he came up with the concept. The stars immediately reminded me of the painting below.




Flag
Jasper Johns
1954 - 55


Unfortunately, I have been unable to find out the identity of the highly talented creator of this cover..... Usually, I'm able to open up the reader for a preview of a book featured on Amazon. Then I can check out who the cover artist is, either on the copyright page of the book, or its back cover. However, for some reason, the preview is not available for this book.




     
What do you think of this 
week's cover?
Please leave a comment
and let me know!








2 comments:

  1. This is indeed a great cover.

    I think it is supposed to look like a stucco wall. At least it reminds me of one.

    That Jasper Johns painting is also impressive. It is so interesting hoe he can take a flag, not really change it much, but add just a little bit of what seems like realistic wear, and create such an impressive piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Brian!

      Oh, a stucco wall? Gee, I hadn't thought of that! Yup, I think you're right!


      Yes, the Jaaper Johns painting is quite impressive. I, too, like the "look of wear" -- achieved with tactile brushstrokes -- he's given to the flag. This piece really makes you LOOK at the American flag, and appreciate it in an aesthetic way.

      I wish I knew who the book cover artist is....

      Thanks for another great comment!! :)

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)