Friday, February 18, 2011

The Blood-Red Pencil: Great writing advice!!



The Blood-Red Pencil

Thanks to my good friend, aobibliophile at aobibliosphere, I have discovered
this absolutely WONDERFUL blog
that provides advice to writers, as well as editing services
and other very cool stuff!! 
The name chosen for this blog is not only rather poetic,
but very appropriate, too, since one of the skills
writers need to learn is how to cut material
they may actually love, but may not be working for their
story or novel.
(Besides, it also reminds me of vampires...lol.)
So this blog is very aptly named

Following are two excerpts from an article posted by Maryann Miller, at
this terrific blog. 
It was originally published
on yet another blog I will also be checking out,
who is a school psychologist, as well as a YA and nonfiction author.


Here are the excerpts:


:•    Set small, attainable goals.

Most writers I know set very lofty goals that are hard to achieve (I will finish this novel in 30 days). Or they set goals that take a very long time and involve things not in our control (I will find and agent and sell a book within xx years). These types of goals can backfire unless you also set small goals that you can achieve pretty quickly. It’s all about building momentum when you are carefully backing away from the cliff. Set goals that enable you to feel success quickly.

•    Face your fears.

Writing is an interesting thing. It has the power to unlock some of your deepest darkest yuck that lurks inside - or maybe that’s just me. Regardless, pursuing your dreams in this business will require you to face some of your doubts and fears sooner or later. So, you need to be prepared. Personally, I think the only way to deal with the scary stuff is to walk straight through it. You have lots of supporters to help you on this path. Grab their hands, close your eyes, and move forward – no matter how hard it feels at times.




The complete article can be found





6 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by the BRP, Maria. If you are a Twilight fan perhaps you'd like my previous post at the BRP, "Busted! Stephenie Meyer caught doing something right." (You'll find that during the first part of the month the contributing editors put up a brand post--the "Busted" series of what we can learn from published authors is mine.) You can find it here:
    http://bloodredpencil.blogspot.com/2010/07/bustedstephenie-meyer-caught-doing.html
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Kathryn! Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment! I will definitely read your post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Maria! what a pleasant surprise! my Google feeds are working right all of a sudden and if it hadn't been for that i wouldn't have known about your mentioning me in this post. thank you very much! i'm really glad you like The Blood-Red Pencil. it is an awesome blog with awesome tips! have a great weekend and thanks again for the mention! hasta luego! c",)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, ao!!!! You're very welcome!! Thanks to you as well, for mentioning this TERRIFIC blog on Facebook!!! You know, I feel truly honored to be your friend. You are such a sweet, nice, person!!! Gotta drop by your blog and leave some comments! Hasta luego! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks so much for the post! I am glad my guest post on the Blood Red Pencil spoke to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're very welcome, Christina! And thank you SO much for visiting, leaving a nice comment, and subsequently following my blog!! : )

    ReplyDelete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)