Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Wishlist Wednesday #1: Magician:Apprentice, by Raymond E. Feist




This intriguing book meme/blog hop
is hosted at the fabulous blog,




Here's some further information:

"Wishlist Wednesday" is a book blog hop where we will post about one book per week that has been on our wish list for some time, or just added (it's entirely up to you), that we can't wait to get off the wishlist and onto our wonderful shelves.



For the participation rules,
please click on the link above.




Here's my choice for this week:






(The Riftwar Saga #1)
Trade Paperback, 336 pages
Spectra
December 1, 1993
(first published 1982)


From the Goodreads Synopsis

Midkemia is a Tolkienian realm, a European- Medieval series of kingdoms in which magic is prominent, and where men share the earth with dwarves and elves. Feist's genius was inventing another sword and sorcercy realm based more closely on eastern models, the Empire of Tsuranuanni, as vast as Ancient China, as formalised and devoted to the arts of war as a samurai Japan. A magical rift in time-space brings these two worlds clashing together, and the young boy Pug and his soldier friend Tomas are thrown into the ensuing maelstrom of invasion and epic battle, before embarking on a more fundamental magical journey towards the very roots of evil itself.



Ever since Tolkien, I've been smitten with epic fantasy, although there are other genres I love, as anyone who has followed this blog for some time will know.  

This is the type of fantasy I first think of when the word is mentioned.  Nowadays, we have such things as 'urban fantasy', but to me, the epic variety is the best, not to mention the boldest. 

Feist is one of the giants in this genre, and I have to confess that, although I'm well aware of that, I have yet to read any of his works.  This particular one marks the beginning of the legendary Riftwar Saga, and I definitely want to get this first volume for my already bulging bookshelves, so I can experience this masterpiece of fantasy writing!  And then, of course, I will want to go on to the sequels!

When I put this book on my Goodreads TBR bookshelf, I also made sure to pick a beautiful cover.  That's always important for me!  This one reminds me of King Arthur and Merlyn.

As Tolkien himself said in The Hobbit, "...the road goes ever on..."



What's on your wishlist
this week?








2 comments:

  1. I've honestly never read a book like that. I will have to look into some! Enjoy your reading!

    Check out my Wed Meme - Here

    Tabby @Insightful Minds

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Tabatha! Well, if you've never read any fantasy, you're missing out on a great genre!

    Hope you enjoy your reading, too, and thanks for commenting!! I'm going over to check out your post!! : )

    ReplyDelete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)