Saturday, June 11, 2011

On My Wishlist #2




This is a fun weekly event hosted by
Carolyn at Book Chick City,
 and runs every Saturday.

Each participating blogger features books 
s/he hasn't actually bought yet, but desperately wants to read,
because the stories sound so very fascinating!

These books can be either newly-published,
to be released in the near future,
or they might have been in print for several years.

In my particular case, any books I place
on my wish list are strictly the print versions,
since I do not read ebooks. 


I have heard of George R.R. Martin, of course,
but have never read any of his books.
Just the other day, while on Amazon,
I discovered this wonderful epic fantasy series,
titled "A Song of Ice and Fire"!
Reading further, I also found out
that Martin has been hailed as "the American Tolkien"!
My fantasy-nosing antennas came up when I read that.
Anyone who can be compared to Tolkien
deserves all the attention they can get!!

So here are the books in that series, which I am
lovingly placing on my wish list.






George R.R. Martin
Mass Market Paperback, 835 pages
Published by Voyager, January 5, 2003
(first published in 1996)


From the Goodreads Synopsis


Martin's Seven Kingdoms resemble England during the Wars of the Roses, with the Stark and Lannister families standing in for the Yorks and Lancasters. The story of these two families and their struggle to control the Iron Throne dominates the foreground; in the background is a huge, ancient wall marking the northern border, beyond which barbarians, ice vampires, and direwolves menace the south as years-long winter advances.





George R.R. Martin
Hardcover, 761 pages
Published by Spectra, February 2, 1999
(first published in 1998)


From the Goodreads Synopsis
(the 1999 paperback edition)

The Seven Kingdoms are divided by revolt and blood feud; beyond their Northern borders, the men of the Night Watch fight the coming of a great cold and the walking corpses that travel with it; on the other side of the ocean, the last of the Kingdom's deposed ruling house mourns her horseclan husband and rears the dragonets she hatched from his funeral pyre.





A Storm of Swords
George R.R. Martin
Hardcover, 992 pages
Published by Bantam, October 31, 2000


From the Goodreads Synopsis

Fourteen-year-old exiled queen Daenerys Targaryen raises an army like a fantasy-world Joan of Arc, but the fire is on her side, for she walks with dragons. Determined to claim the Iron Throne from which her father had ruled until he was slain by Prince Jaime Lannister, Daenerys walks a gauntlet of treacherous slavers and sorcerers.






A Feast for Crows
George R.R. Martin
Hardcover, 753 pages
Published by Spectra, November 8, 2006
(first published in 2005)


From the Goodreads Synopsis

After centuries of bitter strife and fatal treachery, the seven powers dividing the land have decimated one another into an uneasy truce. Or so it appears....With the death of the monstrous King Joffrey, Cersei is ruling as regent in King’s Landing. Robb Stark’s demise has broken the back of the Northern rebels, and his siblings are scattered throughout the kingdom like seeds on barren soil.








George R.R. Martin
Hardcover, 1040 pages
Published by Voyager
Expected Release Date: July 12, 2011


From the Goodreads Synopsis


In the aftermath of a colossal battle, the future of the Seven Kingdoms hangs in the balance once again - beset by newly emerging threats from every direction. In the east, Daenerys Targaryen, the last scion of House Targaryen, rules with her three dragons as queen of a city built on dust and death. But Daenerys has three times three thousand enemies, and many have set out to find her. Yet, as they gather, one young man embarks upon his own quest for the queen, with an entirely different goal in mind.




Sounds exciting, right?
So what's on your wish list this week?





9 comments:

  1. With everyone talking about the series for this on HBO, I've been very interested in the books too! I love that they've all been out for so long now that I'd be able to just have the stack of them to go through.

    I hope you get to get started on them soon. :)

    My Wishlist

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Barbara! I really wish I could see the HBO series, but we don't have cable... Oh, well. At least all the books are out! So, as you said, one can go through all of them, without having to wait on pins and needles for the next one to be published!

    Thanks for the visit and the comment! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this series! It is so good GRRM has created a gritty and realistic new fantasy world. I hope you like them

    Although there are a lot of books out Maria and Barbara it still hasn't finished, even with the new one!

    New follower here!

    Suzanne @ Under the Covers

    My Wishlist

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Suzanne!

    Wow! I can see that I'm in for a treat when I start on this series! And you say there are even MORE books coming? Well, gotta get started on it, then! My next payday is on the 15th! Lol.

    Thank you so much for the comment & the follow!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great choice! I have not read this series but I love this series on TV, fantastic series. I hope to read it someday.

    I'm your newest follower^^

    Have a great day.

    My wishlist

    Mysteriousbooks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Mysteriousrose!

    Yeah, this series sounds VERY exciting!! Sure wish I could watch it on HBO.... But I do hope to be able to start reading it soon! And I can always buy the HBO episodes on Amazon later on. Lol.

    Thanks for the comment and the follow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey! Thanks for commenting and signing-up for the Midnight Summer Festival. I keep trying to follow but Google is being difficult. I'll try again later. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you enjoy the series. I tried it when it was brand new but it wasn't my cup of tea. :)

    My featured wish is Junonia by Kevin Henkes. Come see why.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, pussreboots!

    Yeah, I hope I like it, too, when I do start reading it. That's why I'll buy the first book in paperback, read it, and, if I do like it, buy the hardcover and go on to the other books, also in hardcover.

    It's too bad you didn't like it, but books appeal to certain readers, and not to others.

    Thanks for the comment, and I'm gonna go check out your own post!

    ReplyDelete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)