Tuesday, January 4, 2011

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY, J.R.R. TOLKIEN!!!


John Ronald Reuel Tolkien
Born: January 3, 1892


Tolkien was, as all fantasy enthusiasts know, the revered author of those fantasy classics, The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, and The Silmarillion.  This great writer has mesmerized countless readers, including this one, and has influenced several fantasy writers, as well.  He even created a new language for his elven characters, complete with grammar and syntax.  His world of Middle Earth is a richly complex one, peopled by totally unforgettable characters, and made to come alive by means of an enthralling, brilliant prose style.  

As a philologist and scholar who taught at Oxford University, Tolkien was steeped in the study of languages, as well as mythology and folklore from various sources.  He wove everything together, sifting it through his amazingly inventive imagination, and immortalized his tales thereby.  How many enthusiastic fantasy readers are not familiar with Frodo, Gandalf, Aragorn, Merry, Pippin, and the pitiably disgusting Gollum?  How many have not felt chills run up their spine at the very mention of the Nazgul?  

Yesterday was this wonderful man's birthday.  How could I have forgotten?  Thanks to Marty at Book Noise, I realized what day it was, but I was a bit too late! 

According to Marty's post, there was a worldwide celebration last night, at 9:00 PM, one's local time.  Alas, dear Tolkien!  I was unable to participate, due to my blasted nighttime part-time job!  So I'm now trying to make amends through my own post... Thanks, Marty!! 

How I wish I could have met Mr. Tolkien!  What a treat that would have been!  I would have sat at his feet, raptly listening to his wondrous tales of Middle Earth, and asked for nothing more in the world!  But, as he himself once said, "The road goes ever on...."

If there's a special place in heaven for great weavers of dreams, I'm sure that John Ronald Reuel will be there, sitting alongside such other greats as his friend, C.S. Lewis, Hans Christian Andersen, E.T.A. Hoffman, the creator of  "The Nutcracker", and all those whose trips into magical lands have transported us out of our ordinary reality to the extent that we have entirely forgotten our immediate surroundings, and become one with their wonderful characters....





2 comments:

  1. Hi Maria! Great dedication post! I loved the Lord Of the Rings!

    By the way, I just gave you an award. Congrats! http://www.readerrecommended.com/2011/01/stylish-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, LJ! Gosh, what a NICE surprise!! Thank you for thinking of my blog!!! : )

    ReplyDelete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)