Saturday, February 16, 2013

Shelf Candy Saturday #56: A Wrinkle In Time, by Madeleine L'Engle





Welcome to
Shelf Candy Saturday!!


This weekly meme/blog hop, hosted here,
features beautiful book covers!


If you'd like to participate, just grab my button (or create your own), write your own post, and link up in the Linky widget at the bottom of this post. (You have to click on "Read more" so that the entire post will open up.)

As a bonus, you can include information on the artist, designer, and/or photographer, but it's not required. You can simply feature a cover and explain why you love it!



Here's my choice for this week!



(Time #1)
Mass Market Paperback, 226 pages
Laurel Leaf
February 15, 1976
Science Fantasy, Young Adult Fiction


Why do I love this cover?

This novel has been published in many editions, some of which have very beautiful covers.  This one is a particularly beautiful one.   I love the realistically painted centaur!  Horse and man are seamlessly combined, and the pose is very dramatic.   This particular centaur also has wings, which is an interesting addition to the traditional centaur myth.

Of course, I also love the equally realistic background, with those gorgeous, rolling blue clouds!

The font used for the title is a classical one, while the one for the author's name is reminiscent of the Art Deco style.  They both complement the cover image very nicely, too, since they don't take attention away from it. 

It's too bad the cover has two stickers included on it.  I realize they're necessary, because one identifies the book as a special edition, while the other shows it to be a Newbery award winner.  Still, I wish they weren't there, since they do interfere with the total image.  However, this cover is beautiful, anyway!

Although I do own this book, the cover artist is not credited.  Whoever that person is, they're highly talented! 




What do you think of my choice?
What beautiful cover(s)
are you featuring this week?




6 comments:

  1. Very cool, I love covers that have a lot of depth to them.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this cover. I actually got to attend a seminar where the illustrator was speaking. He is a very fascinating guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this cover is awesome! It is a little uncanny and dark. Have you read this book? The cover makes it look very appealing. I see that it is billed as being based upon science.

    Did you ever read John Varley's Gaea Trilogy? Part of the story involves a powerful alien computer with the ability to create life creating a race a of centaurs. Their biology and culture is explored in great detail. It is a great series that I highly recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Moissanite!

    I'm so glad you like this cover! Yes, it does indeed have a lot of depth to it; I think I could analyze it for hours...

    Thank you so much for the comment, and especially for participating in "Shelf Candy Saturday"!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Dena!

    Oh, you know who the artist is? I've got to get in touch with you, in order to get his name, so I can then include some information about him in the post.

    Glad you love this cover! Thanks for the great comment!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Brian!

    I agree with your statements about this cover -- it does seem a little uncanny and dark. This book is very highly regarded in fantasy and science fiction circles. I can't believe I haven't read it yet....

    That trilogy you've mentioned sure sounds fascinating!! I've heard of John Varley, but have yet to read anything by him. So, thanks for bringing these books to my attention!! I will certainly add them to my Goodreads TBR shelf!!

    Thanks for another terrific comment!! :)

    ReplyDelete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)