Friday, November 24, 2017

Book Blogger Hop No. 111: Bookstore Bliss



Welcome to the Book Blogger Hop,
hosted by Billy @


For more information, and 
to find out the topic of next week's question, click HERE.


This Week's Question

What's your immediate feeling, when
entering a bookstore, as
compared to how you feel when
entering a department store?

(Submitted  by Maria @ 



My Answer

There's no comparison in feelings, really. When I enter a department store (especially if it's one which I know for a fact doesn't sell books), I feel a mild sense of interest and anticipation. Perhaps I will find a purse there, or a sweater, or a pair of jeans. But....so what? I am NOT thrilled, or filled with bubbly enthusiasm. After all, these are just practical, necessary items needed for daily life, for....(shudders!) REALITY.

When I step into a bookstore, though, the feeling is simply.....wonderful, joyful, uplifting; in short, UTTERLY BLISSFUL. It's not merely breathless anticipation, or excitement at the possibility of acquiring a new literary treasure, but a feeling of entering ANOTHER WORLD, one where fantastical wonders await, philosophical conundrums hide behind pages, and even the whole enchilada beckons from within Mexican cookbooks (except that I don't cook, haha!). Romance, drama, science fiction, information on shifting soul states, meditation, or on creative writing techniques, and even mandala coloring books, as well as manuals on Quidditch and how to create the perfect Hogwarts potion -- they're all there, waiting, in the enthralling place I have nicknamed "Paradise"! 

I decided to give this name to the Barnes & Noble located about 5 miles from our condo. There's another B&N store in the Coral Gables area, near our former apartment, but the one we now thankfully live close to is just.....BREATHTAKING, as you will see from the pictures below. Thus, it's my favorite of the two! 

But really, ANY bookstore is truly "Paradise", for a bookstore houses printed treasures that are much more valuable than diamonds! So forget about the saying, "Diamonds are a girl's best friend." MY motto is: "BOOKS are a girl's best friend"! ABSOLUTELY!!! 

So, even if I might indeed be in dire need of a new purse, a pair of shoes, or anything else of an eminently practical nature, I just can't feel as enthused about acquiring any of these things as I would at the prospect of acquiring a new (or even used) book!! 

And here I bring you pictures of my local Paradise!!

  














What are your thoughts on
this topic?
If you're participating in this hop,
I'll go comment on your 
own BBH post.
If not, I will then comment on one 
of your blog posts!
Thanks for visiting!!!  
 




8 comments:

  1. This is a super post Maria. I feel the same way. There really is a special feeling that I have when entering a bookstore. I think that this is something that would be difficult to describe to a non bookish person. A large bookstore really has so much. It really contains the wisdom of the ages, plus so much more. I must visit a local bookstore soon.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Brian!

      Thanks so much for the compliment!! :) :)

      I think that most of us book lovers feel the same way. We get this special feeling when stepping into a bookstore, and those who don't love books the way bookish people do will NEVER understand! SO TRUE!!

      This particular B&N store happens to be the largest bookstore in my area. SO HAPPY about that!! There might be other bookstores near me that I haven't visited yet, but this one is not only the largest one that I'm aware of, but also the most visible. You can't miss it! I should have taken some pics of the outside of the building. Gotta do that the next time I visit!

      This bookstore really does have a LOT of variety. They have several different sections, including one for books written in Spanish. They have a YA section, a fantasy and science fiction section, a romance section, and so many others -- Christian, New Age, philosophy, biography, study prep books, etc. They also have a music department, as well as a toy section, and then there's the snack bar, where you can get Starbucks coffee (at the same high prices, lol). AND they also have a bargain section! Really, this store has it ALL!!

      I am SO THANKFUL that I live relatively close to this store!!

      Speaking of being thankful, I hope you and your family had a FAB Thanksgiving celebration!!

      Thanks for the NICE comment, Brian!! <3 :)

      Delete
  2. Love your question, your answer, and your photos.

    Totally agree that books are a girl's best friend. :)

    I hope you had a good Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Elizabeth!

      Thanks as always for such lovely compliments!! :) :)

      Oh, it's DEFINITELY BOOKS, not diamonds, that are a girl's best friends!! Diamonds are beautiful, but they don't give one endless hours of delight, as novels do, nor of thought-provoking analyses, as nonfiction books do!! SO glad you agree!!! :) :)

      We had a wonderful thanksgiving! Hope you did, too!!

      Thanks for the nice comment!! HUGS!!!!! <3 <3 <3 :) :) :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Hi, Katie!

      Yeah, this bookstore is really nice!

      Hope you're having a great Sunday, and thanks for commenting!! <3 :)

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)