Since I'm still on vacation from one of my two jobs ( the part-time ), I have some free time available at night! So tonight I started doing some blog browsing. I checked out Hale & Salvatore's Supernatural Must Reads, and saw a post on bookshelves. The pictured shelves are truly awesome!! I especially like the one that encloses a reader in a cozy, little space in which books fully surround a comfortable chair! It's Bookworm Heaven!! The other bookshelf looks like it could be aboard the Starship "Enterprise". It's cool, too, but I do prefer the cozy one. It comes pretty close to my ideal living conditions. Books all around me! Ah, bliss! I'm reminded of the Jorge Luis Borges quote: "I cannot sleep unless I am surrounded by books." Oh, absolutely!! Borges, for those not familiar with him, was a great Argentine writer and Nobel Prize winner. (For more Borges quotes, click here.) I've been meaning to start reading his books, but well...as another quote goes: "So many books, so little time..." That one comes from Frank Zappa, incredibly enough! (For more FZ quotes, click here.)
You can check out Hale & Salvatore's favorite shelves here. A link to Hale's personal bookshelf can also be found on that page.
Now here's a look at part of my own shelves.
These books are in our bedroom. The first picture shows part of two shelves that take up one wall, from floor to ceiling. The second one shows stacks of books on the dresser, and the third shows more stacks on the night table right next to my side of the bed.
It's more than obvious that I'm seriously addicted to books.... I've been collecting for years and years! I buy them mostly online now, but I still buy at good ol' Barnes & Noble from time to time, as well as Borders. I've gotten a LOT of used books at both eBay and Amazon; however, if I buy a used book, it had better be in "like new" condition! Otherwise, I'll return it.
Here's a partial list of the books on the shelves. I'm hoping and praying I'll be able to get to all of them, or at least most of them, someday!
Here we have the following:
1. Creativity - Eric Maisel
2. Silence, Simplicity, and Solitude - David A. Cooper
3. Diamond Heart, Book Three - A.H. Almaas
4. The Complete Works of W.H. Auden: Prose - W.H. Auden
5. The Kabbalah Tree - Rachel Pollack
6. The Hidden Face of God - Gerald L. Schroeder
This group consists of the following:
7. The Republic and Other Works - Plato
8. Dialogues: Cratylus, Phaedo, Timaeus, Critias - Plato, with commentary by Thomas Taylor
9. The Wisdom of The Enneagram - Don Richard Riso and Russ Hudson
8. Christmas In My Heart - Joe Wheeler
9. Sir Gawain and the Green Knight - Anonymous
Well....I have to be honest here. This is not one of my bookshelves; I got this picture from Goodreads. I do have some of these books, though; it's just that they're not all in one place. The ones I don't yet have, I intend to acquire, with the possible exception of the Anne Rice book pictured here. Of course, I did want to show off my paranormals! They are as follows:
10. City of Bones - Cassandra Clare (owned)
11. Dead In The Family - Charlaine Harris (wish list)
12. Spirit Bound - Richelle Mead (wish list)
13. Tempted - P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast (wish list)
14. Evernight - Claudia Gray (wish list)
15. Twilight - Stephenie Meyer (happily owned!!)
16. Night World, Vol. 1 - L.J. Smith (omnibus edition, owned)
17. Vampire Diaries, Vol. 1 - L.J. Smith (omnibus edition, owned)
18. Queen of The Damned - Anne Rice (maybe wish list)
All right, so I don't own all of them. They all look so nice together, I decided to post the picture!
I'm a very eclectic reader. Most of the ones shown in the closeups are non-fiction. I'm glad I photographed them, even if the pics look darker here than they do on my cell phone, because this will serve as a reminder that I do have these very fascinating books that I really need to sink my teeth into! (I suppose the pun is intended.)
By the way, there is one writer whose books I will never read or buy: Stephen King. There are some others, like H.P. Lovecraft, for instance, whom I also refuse to read or collect. Any writer in the hard-core horror genre (I do not consider books like those in The Twilight Saga part of this genre) is a writer that will not make money from me!