Sunday, December 4, 2016

Shelf Candy Saturday No. 195: Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley



Welcome to Shelf Candy Saturday!


***Late Edition***
This is my weekly feature
showcasing beautiful covers!
It also provides information, 
if available, on their 
very talented creators!


Here's my choice for this week!



Brave New World
Aldous Huxley
Hardcover , 214 pages
Chatto & Windus
August, 1970
Classics, Dystopian Fiction, Literary Fiction,  
Science Fiction 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6081605-brave-new-world





My Thoughts About This Cover

This stunning cover for the classic dystopian novel is simply perfect! Although I have never read the book, this cover certainly tempts me to do so! I love the two artistic influences I see here -- one is definitely Picasso's late Cubistic phase, and the other the Art Deco design movement. The font displays the latter influence, while the central design -- what strikes me as a fragmented world -- reflects the former.

I love the design, which encompasses circles, although again, my impression is one of fragmentation, not wholeness, in spite of the fact that there also seems to be a sense of globalism here. 

I love the "waves" above and below the globe. They seem to indicate that there's a certain cosmic flow, and somehow, it has been disrupted. This is also what I'm picking up from the shapes surrounding the globe. Wholeness is set against fragmentation. The theme is brilliantly and starkly repeated, over and over, and yet, the design is very dynamic, and immediately calls attention to itself. 

Dark and light are contrasted in the globe, and this gives me the feeling of the different time zones. The plane in the middle of the design seems to be crossing from one time zone to another. Again I see the theme of fragmentation, as the front half of the plane is a brilliant shade of blue, while the back half is a stark black. 

This very striking cover was designed by Leslie Holland. According to the website, shortlist.com, which featured it in a photo gallery titled, "The 50 Coolest Book Covers", this is the cover of the first edition, which was published in 1932. So apparently the novel was re-issued, with the same cover, in 1970. I discovered this listing on Goodreads.

Holland was a British artist who was not that well-known, in spite of the brilliance of this design. Therefore, I have not been able to find out much about him. I have, however, found a very interesting story involving his granddaughter, who recognized her granddad's work being sold as a poster in Blackwell's Bookshop, located in Oxford, England. You can read read more at the second link below. I really haven't found much else beyond this, for which I am heartily sorry....


Online Links 
   
 

What do you think of this 
week's cover?
Please leave a comment
and let me know!









4 comments:

  1. Hi Maria,

    I also love this cover. I tend to like Art Deco. I think it works very well when combined with science fiction theme.

    In addition to what you wrote, it is impressive that the artist achieved such a striking .effect with only two colors.

    The shape of the airplane is very much a product of its time. The cover is so 1930s. This is another thing to love about it.


    I hope that you and your family are having a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Brian!

      Sorry for the delay in replying....

      Yes, Art Deco is a very beautiful design movement. And I agree -- it Does go quite well with science fiction!

      Although I didn't mention it in the post, you are SO right that the artist was able to create such a stunning cover with only two colors. I wish there more covers by this artist around. I don't think he created many.

      This is indeed a retro cover, and yet, it is appealingly modern. The shape of the airplane plays a key role in the overall look as you point out.

      It's almost 3:00 AM now, so the weekend is over.....:( But we had a great one! My husband and I went to a Christmas park here in Miami -- "Santa's Enchanted Forest". We had a lot of fun!!

      Hope you had a great weekend, too!! Thanks for the fabulous comment!! :)

      Delete
  2. I did not expect this to be a dystopian novel from the cover -- I expected a more adventure novel than anything else. Great choice, Maria unusual too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Verushka!

      You know, you're right -- this cover does look like it could be for an adventure novel. I'm so glad you like it! And yes, it is an unusual cover. That's what drew me to it.

      Thanks for dropping by and commenting!! <3 :)

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)