Friday, December 23, 2016

Book Blogger Hop No. 80: Reading Challenges



Welcome to the Book Blogger Hop,
hosted by Billy @


For more information, and 
to find out the topic of next week's question, click HERE.


This Week's Question

Do you participate in reading
challenges that have you reading
for 24 hours, challenges that
have a yearly goal, challenges that
have you reading certain genres,
or do you not participate in
challenges?

(Submitted  by Elizabeth @ Silver's Reviews)



My Answer

When I first started blogging about books, I had no idea that such things as reading challenges existed. As time went on and I visited other blogs, of course I became acquainted with them. So I decided to start participating, as they looked like a fun activity. 

I have valiantly made several attempts to really take on reading challenges, but have not been able to complete them, for the most part. One of the reasons for this is that I have become involved with other kinds of blog posts, and eventually lost track of the challenge, so to speak, so I also lost interest in it. The exception to this is "The Christmas Spirit Reading Challenge", which is hosted every year by Michelle Miller @ Christmas Spirit. This is a very beautiful blog, dedicated totally to Christmas. Every year, right around Thanksgiving, Michelle makes the challenge announcement on her Christmas blog. Like with most challenges, there are several levels of participation.

There's another reason I stopped participating in reading challenges: a scarcity of comments on my challenge review posts.

I used to look forward to "The Christmas Spirit Reading challenge" every year, starting in 2011. The last time I participated was last year, and I won't participate again. During the time I did join in, I never got that many comments. One of my posts, a review of the novel, Comfort and Joy, by Kristin Hannah, got a grand total of FIVE comments, and three of them were my replies to the comments left, which were only two. One of those was from Michelle, the host. Of my own three comments, one was a "P.S.". What I don't understand is WHY this post had a total of 374 views, yet, only two people commented!! The post also has two Google+ recommendations. I just don't get it!

Anyway, as time went on, the situation did not improve. Also, I would leave comments on other participants' reviews, and not get comments back on my own reviews.

The exact same thing has happened with other challenges I've been part of. On some of these, not even the host has commented on my challenge reviews. And all of these challenges have had Linky lists, too, making it very easy for participants to hop over to other blogs. 

I know there are bloggers who don't seem to care whether or not they get replies or comments back on their posts, but I DO care. If someone takes the time to comment on my blog, I think they deserve the courtesy of at least a comment back on their own blog. Not everyone has the time to reply to comments left on their blogs. I try to do this, as well as comment back on the commenters' blogs. However, since I know that people are very busy with their real-world lives, I don't expect them to reply to comments I leave on their blogs. But comments back on mine is a different story. I feel hurt when people whose blogs I've commented on do not comment back on mine.

I don't want to sound overwhelmingly negative or anything, but I really do NOT understand why some bloggers don't comment back. What's the whole purpose of blogging about books, if not to interact with other book bloggers? Sometimes I feel so depressed and frustrated..... When I have commented on a blog at least twice, and don't get a comment back, I will not comment on that blog again, unless that blogger comments on one of my posts, in which case I will comment back on theirs. If a blogger refuses to comment back on my blog, I must assume that said blogger does not want to establish a friendship with me. Everyone is free to choose their friends. So, I just move on to another blog whose creator WILL reciprocate when I leave a comment on their blog. I'm not going to waste my time commenting on blogs whose owners/creators ignore my existence. 

Relationships on the blogosphere are built up through comments, just like, in the real world, they're built up through sharing activities together, and having reciprocal conversations. If I have a so-called 'friend' who never calls me back after I have initiated several calls, I must assume that they're not really interested in being my friend. And the same holds true for romantic relationships. The famous "I'll call you" that guys LOVE to say to a girl after a first date is over is a case in point. They say this, and then they NEVER call the girl. Or perhaps the girl has already called him first, and he then throws this line at her.

Okay, rant over, lol. I just HAD to get that out there.

Listed below are the links to some of the posts I've created for the reading challenges I've participated in since I first started blogging in 2010. If you click on any of them, you will see that most of these posts have VERY few comments. And I don't think any of the posts are boring, either. I always do my very best to make all of my posts interesting for my readers.

refuse to participate in any more reading challenges of ANY sort whatsoever. This situation is permanent for the foreseeable future.



Past Reading Challenge Posts




What are your thoughts on
this topic?
Please leave a comment!
If you're participating in this meme,
I'll go comment on your 
own BBH post.
If not, I will then comment on one 
of your blog posts!
Thanks for visiting!!! 







6 comments:

  1. Hey Maria.

    You raise some very good points here. I like the way that you have connected the blogging world with real life, that is, some people seem to be completely oblivious to the basics social interaction.


    I only participate in reading events if bloggers that I know are very involved. This is for the reason that you specified above.

    I agree, much of what book blogging is involves interaction and conversation. Why else blog, other then to get people think and talking about books? It really is what bogging is about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Brian!

      Thanks for the good word!! Much appreciated! :)

      Indeed, I see that some bloggers -- as well as people in the real world -- do not engage in what I would like to think is common courtesy. Apparently, it's not that common....

      I guess the best thing is to get to know a certain group of bloggers who are willing to comment back, and stick with them. This is actually a case of becoming part of a clique, which, of course, reminds me of high school! Lol. But I guess that's the thing to do.

      Of course book blogging "involves interaction and conversation", as you have so well stated in your comment here! This is one of the purposes of any kind of blog, too, not just book blogs.

      I greatly enjoy interacting with bloggers like you, Brian! You are obviously a committed blogger who is willing to discuss the views expressed by other bloggers. You also welcome the same on your own blog, Additionally, your comments -- whether on your own blog or other blogs -- are always meaningful and thoughtful.

      I'm very glad to have met you, and to be able to continue to interact with you! It's bloggers like you who keep me coming back to the blogosphere again and again!

      Have a GREAT weekend and a SUPER nice holiday!! :)

      Delete
  2. Not getting comments is definitely hard as it's no fun to blog into a vacuum though this time of year I think everyone has a comment decline. I know I do and I know I don't comment nearly as much on other blogs as I'd like. I don't do reading challenges because I'm terrible at remembering to linkup I do love the idea of some of the bingo cards and list type challenges where you read books that meet certain criteria. I think I'm going to do a few of those unofficially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Katherine!

      No, it's no fun at all to "blog into a vacuum"! VERY well put!

      I can understand a general comment decline at this time of year, but only up to a point. Of the six posts I linked up above, only one of them was posted during the holiday season -- on Christmas Day, to be exact. That was the "Comfort and Joy" post. But then, why did that post have 374 views? It really doesn't make any sense!

      The other posts mentioned above were done at other times of the year -- in the months of June, July, August and October.

      I have never heard of bingo card challenges before. Very original! Sounds like fun! I don't know if I'd be able to keep track of those, but I've sworn off all reading challenges, anyway, lol.


      Thanks for your comment!! I have to go out now, but you may be SURE that I will comment back on your blog!! Have a GREAT weekend!! Merry Christmas!! <3 :)

      Delete
  3. I cannot participate in stressful challenges. That includes the BINGO card ones and the 24-hour challenge.

    I actually only participate in the Goodreads Challenge...no stress except doing what I love and reading what I like.

    Thanks for your wonderful answer. I have been out of town, but couldn't let any more time pass without stopping by, Maria.

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth!

      I have tried participating in marathon challenges, but have found them to be VERY stressful, so I stopped. I am not familiar with the bingo card type of challenge, but, if you say it's stressful, I believe you!

      The main reason I stopped participating in challenges, though, was because of the lack of comments and comments back.

      I greatly appreciate that you comment on my BBH post, Elizabeth, and comment back, as well!!

      Hope you had a WONDERFUL Christmas! Happy Hopping to you, as well! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!! <3 :)

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)