Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Waiting On Wednesday No. 186: Flame In The Mist, by Renee Ahdieh




Welcome to "Waiting On Wednesday"!!
  
This is a weekly event that 
used to be hosted by
Jill @ Breaking the Spine, until 
very recently.
I have continued to publish these
posts on my own, as I reall
like this meme, which
showcases future releases which we book  bloggers are eagerly anticipating!!



Here's my choice for this week!



 Flame In The Mist
(Flame In The Mist, Book 1)   
 Renee Ahdieh
Hardcover, 384 pages 
Tor Teen
January 10, 2017
Fantasy, Historical Riction,
Young Adult Fiction  
   
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29939390-windwitch?ac=1&from_search=true






The daughter of a prominent samurai, Mariko has long known her place—she may be an accomplished alchemist, whose cunning rivals that of her brother Kenshin, but because she is not a boy, her future has always been out of her hands. At just seventeen years old, Mariko is promised to Minamoto Raiden, the son of the emperor's favorite consort—a political marriage that will elevate her family's standing. But en route to the imperial city of Inako, Mariko narrowly escapes a bloody ambush by a dangerous gang of bandits known as the Black Clan, whom she learns has been hired to kill her before she reaches the palace.

Dressed as a peasant boy, Mariko sets out to infiltrate the ranks of the Black Clan, determined to track down the person responsible for the target on her back. But she's quickly captured and taken to the Black Clan’s secret hideout, where she meets their leader, the rebel ronin Takeda Ranmaru, and his second-in-command, his best friend Okami. Still believing her to be a boy, Ranmaru and Okami eventually warm to Mariko, impressed by her intellect and ingenuity. As Mariko gets closer to the Black Clan, she uncovers a dark history of secrets, of betrayal and murder, which will force her to question everything she's ever known.


Why I'm waiting on this one!

That GORGEOUS cover immediately caught my eye! I had not heard of this novel before, so it was pure visual delight that pulled me in! Bu then....ah, then I read the synopsis, and OMG!! I was hooked!! Nothing makes me want to read a book more than a kick-butt female protagonist. And hey, Mariko is the daughter of a samurai!! AWESOMENESS in one book!! This baby's mine as soon as it releases!! Lol.



What do you think of my choice?
Leave your link below, so I can
come check out your pick(s)!












10 comments:

  1. Great choice! I love YA historical fiction set in other countries. How neat is it that it's set in Japan!? Going to add this one to Goodreads.
    Here's my WoW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kimberly!

      I'm glad you like this one, too!! Yeah, I LOVE the Japanese setting, as well! And how cool is it that this story involves samurai!

      Thanks for the visit and the comment!! <3 :)

      Delete
  2. Great pick, and I love that cover! Hope you enjoy, thanks for sharing! Here's my WoW (film)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Amy!

      Glad you agree that this is a TERRIFIC pick!! And yeah, that cover is SO gorgeous!!

      I know I'm going to enjoy this book! Hope you do, too!!

      Thanks for dropping by and commenting!! :)

      Delete
  3. How do you find books with such beautiful covers? Gosh, this is just lovely! And, the book -- sounds amazing! Mariko sounds like a complicated, interesting character! Here's mine: http://editingeverything.com/blog/2016/11/30/waiting-wednesday-night-swimming/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Verushka!

      Well, I check out Goodreads, Amazon, and a website called "Fantastic Fiction" to see what books are coming up. The minute I come across a book cover that catches my attention, I check out the book further. This cover is SO stunning, I had to take a closer look!

      I agree -- the book also sounds amazing. And your evaluation of meriko's character is right on target! In short, this is another YA winner!! YAAAAAY!!

      Thanks for visiting and commenting!! :)

      Delete
  4. This book sounds so different than some other stuff I read. I found the cover a few months ago and it's already on my wishlist. I hope we both love it - never read a book with a samurai!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Barb!

      Yeah, it does sound different! And everyone who's commented so far loves this cover! The plot is amazing, as well.

      I'm glad you already have this book on your wishlist. I've never read a book with a samurai, either. I know we'll both enjoy it!

      Thanks for always swinging by and commenting on my WOW posts!! <3 :)

      Delete
  5. I cannot waaaaaaaait to read this book! I preordered it and everything! The cover is gorgeous but I absolutely love Ahdieh's books, so I would read this one even if the cover were a grey blob with the title and author's name on it. :D I hope you enjoy this book when you get a chance to read it!

    Have a fabulous week, Maria. =)

    Check out my WoW post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Alyssa!

      Oh, how GREAT that you've already pre-ordered it!! YAAAAY!!! I LOVE the cover, too!! And your comment about reading a book by Ahdieh, even if the cover were "a grey blog with the title and author's name on it" is SO funny!! Lol. But you're right -- when an author is really, really good, we fans will read their books even if the covers are ugly!

      I know I'm going to enjoy this one!

      Hope you have a fabulous week as well, Alyssa!! Thanks so much for dropping by and commenting!! <3 :)

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)