Sunday, August 28, 2016

Shelf Candy Saturday No. 188: Nevernight, by Jay Kristoff



Welcome to Shelf Candy Saturday!


***LATE EDITION***  
Once again, I have decided to post 
on Sunday. Maybe I should
title this meme "Shelf Candy Sunday",
instead....lol.  
It's been another busy week! 
I hope to be back to posting as 
usual next Saturday....


This is my weekly feature
showcasing beautiful covers!
It also provides information, 
if available, on their 
very talented creators!


Here's my choice for this week!



Nevernight
(The Nevernight Chronicles, Book 1) 
Jay Kristoff
 Hardcover, 448 pages
 Thomas Dunne Books
August 9, 2016
  Fantasy, Young Adult Fiction


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26114463-nevernight




My Thoughts About This Cover

This is definitely a STUNNING cover, and I admire it even though it makes me very uncomfortable with its very obviously creepy vibes.

Everything on this cover is simply perfect. The composition is solid and bold, with expert draftsmanship, the somber colors are very appropriate for the sinister theme, and the title is done in a GORGEOUS font that features graceful flourishes. It's basically an altered classical font, and I love the modifications!

The figure of the girl is very dramatically posed. Her eyes are totally expressionless, and her face is hidden by a mask. She almost looks like a robot, except we know, from the book's plot, that she's a real person. It seems though, that she has lost her soul somewhere along the way. She has instead become a killing automaton. Shudders!! 

The winged shadow behind her adds to her evil presence, and, of course, the bloody knife she holds gives her an utterly deadly aspect. She has killed, and will kill again....

This sinister-looking female assassin forms a marked contrast to the section of architecture behind her. It's the top of a column, probably located in a church. (There's an evil church included in the plot.  Nevertheless, this column decoration is very beautiful.)

It's amazing that, even though this cover makes me so uncomfortable, I can still say that I love it! That's because of its boldness, its well-designed composition, its perfect capturing of mood. Bottom line: I have to give credit where credit is due, and this is definitely a BRILLIANT cover!!

I've just returned from checking out the Amazon preview of this novel. Included in the book are several incredibly beautiful maps of the fantasy world mentioned in the novel. These maps are unbelievably stunning! I would feature them here if I had permission to do so, but, since I don't, and don't want any copyright hassles.....I recommend you guys just go check them out in the preview yourselves; they will just take your breath away!

The highly talented cover artist (and perhaps the map illustrator, as well) is Jason Chan, an illustrator and concept artist from Stockton, California. After high school, he moved to San Francisco to study 3D Animation at the Academy of Art University. However, he changed his major to Illustration, graduating in 2006. 

Chan has drawn inspiration from Eastern as well as Western artists, anime, video games, and manga. He's a fantasy addict, as well. Among his clients are Bloomsbury, DAW, Feiwel and Friends, Fumax Publishing, Hasbro, Intel, Penguin, Random House, Scholastic, Sega, Simon and Schuster, and St. Martin's Press He's currently the Senior Concept Artist at Riot Games.

My list of favorite illustrators is growing and growing!! 

     

Online Links

Website
ArtStation
Facebook
Bio
Twitter
DeviantArt
3D Total: Interview




What do you think of this 
week's cover?
Please leave a comment
and let me know!








8 comments:

  1. I love good cover art and always love finding nw artists as well. I'll definitely check the artist's sites. And of course fantasy maps- love those too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Greg!

      This meme was actually started by a great book blogger that I still miss....Steph @ Five Alarm Book Reviews. She passed it on to me when she decided to stop blogging. I always loved that she gave information about the cover artist(s), and I have continued the tradition! I, too, love finding new artists!

      You won't believe how GORGEOUS those maps are! I might just get this book just for them, lol.

      Thanks for the nice comment!! :)

      Delete
  2. This cover! I get so excited every time I see it. But I did not know the book had maps too?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Verushka!

      Yeah, it's a really GREAT cover! As for the maps, they are incredibly GORGEOUS! You've GOT to check them out!

      Thanks for dropping by and commenting!! :)

      Delete
  3. I agree that this is a very impressive cover. I also agree that the mask and the woman's eyes add so much affect to it. I find that it adds more weight to the picture then even the dagger.

    I looked at the maps. They are also very impressive. I generally love maps. I like it when they are created for fantasy worlds. These may be the best that I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Brian!

      Oh, definitely!! And you're right -- that face adds even more to the total effect than the dagger does! (Although it helps, too.)

      I am SO in love with those maps!! I don't think I've come across such totally BEAUTIFUL maps in a book before. So yes, you're right that these are probably the best you've ever seen! And the fact that they're maps of fantasy lands is a HUGE plus, as I ADORE fantasy worlds, as you know!

      Thanks for the GREAT comment!! Hope you're having a nice Sunday!! :)

      Delete
  4. You can definitely see the Eastern and manga influence in this cover. It really is lovely. I am eager to read this book. Thank you for sharing a little of the author's background with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Wendy!

      OMG, sorry for the late reply....I had not seen this comment.

      Yes, I agree -- there are Eastern and manga influences int this cover. I think they're a HUGE part of its visual impact and appeal!

      You're very welcome for the share! I love to do this! The inclusion of artist information in these posts was started by Stephanie @ Five Alarm Book Reviews, from whom I inherited this meme. She decided to stop blogging, and even deleted her blog from the blogosphere....Oh, I REALLY miss her,.,,

      thanks for the lovely comment!! :)

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)