Saturday, July 23, 2016

Shelf Candy Saturday No. 179: Wintersong, by S. Jae-Jones



Welcome to Shelf Candy Saturday!


This is my weekly feature
showcasing beautiful covers!
It also provides information, 
if available, on their 
very talented creators!


Here's my choice for this week!



Wintersong 
S. Jae-Jones
 Hardcover, 448 pages
 Thomas Dunne
February 7 , 2017
  Fairy Tale Retellings, Romance, 
Young Adult Fiction

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24763621-wintersong?ac=1&from_search=true





My Thoughts About This Cover

Exquisite. Luscious. Precious. These are the words that come to mind as I gaze at this GORGEOUS cover.

The concept is a very simple one -- a solitary white rose encased in a snow globe. One would, of course, expect to see a Christmas scene in such a globe. The rose, however, looks perfect in the globe. It's as white as the snow, so it symbolizes all the purity and innocence one would expect from the sacred and beautiful season of Christmas.

This novel has nothing to do with that holiday, but the qualities pertaining to it probably belong to the main female character. Besides, this cover can be linked to the winter solstice, as well. 

The rose looks as if it will never wither. So in the midst of winter, we have an eternal rose.....What an absolutely beautiful concept! There's snow inside as well as outside the globe. It's falling gently, slowly, creating a soft, even tender feeling in this cover.

The globe itself is very attractive to me, as I love spheres and circles. There's just something so beautiful about these shapes.... Perhaps it's because they are so complete and perfect in themselves.

For some reason, this cover also makes me think of "Swan Lake", the ballet composed by Tchaikovsky. I guess the whiteness of the rose and snow remind me of the whiteness of the swans in that beautiful musical work.

The font used for the title and author's name is  pretty much a classical one, although it has been slightly altered to make it a bit more ornate. However, I really would have preferred a more stylized font. I still love this cover, though!

I have not been able to find any information about the artist who created this magnificent cover. However, I suspect it was the author herself, as her bio mentions that she is an artist, as well as a writer. If so, I would definitely say she's highly talented! 

The Amazon preview is not available for this book, for some unknown reason. Otherwise, i would have been able to check the copyright page (or the back cover) for the name of the cover artist. Since the book won't be published until February of next year, I will have to wait until then to find out for sure whether or not Jae-Jones is the cover artist.

       



What do you think of this 
week's cover?
Please leave a comment
and let me know!








2 comments:

  1. This is a great cover.

    As you mention it is visually impressive. It also expresses its theme well. The idea of the eternal rose is strong here. I also get the sense of a struggle between life and the coldness of winter.

    It is interesting how white can be used to represent purity and innocence but it can also represent cold and starkness. I love the way that this cover incorporates both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Brian!

      Yes, this cover is definitely visually impressive. The image is very simple and bold,too, which is part of that visual effect.

      You've made some interesting points about the "struggle between life and the coldness of winter", as well as the rose representing this very same cold, along with the starkness of winter. I had not noticed these things before you mentioned them, but now that you have, I do see them, and completely agree with you.

      I hope to be able to discover the name of the artist next year! But I do strongly suspect that it's the author herself.

      Thanks for such an interesting, thought-provoking comment!! :)

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)