Friday, September 4, 2015

Feature & Follow Friday #11: A Movie You Wish Had Been Based On A Book




Welcome to Feature & Follow Friday!!

This weekly hop is hosted by  
Rachel @ Parajunkee's View, and 
Alison @ Alison Can Read!!


You can find the rules at the links above.
Join in the fun and make new blogging friends!


Every week, 1 or 2 new blogs 
are featured!

This week's featured blog
is
Newbie Librarians!



Here is this week's question:

Name a movie you would have 
loved to read as a book 
(that is not a book already, 
obviously).

Contributed by
Go Book Yourself






The first poster above is for a 1995 remake of a 1954 romantic comedy starring Humphrey Bogart in the title role of Linus Larrabee, a wealthy workaholic, whose younger brother, David -- played by William Holden -- is a real ladies' man. Sabrina Fairchild, the chauffeur's daughter -- played by Audrey Hepburn -- has been in love with David for years, but he's never noticed her. 

In the 1995 version, Harrison Ford (one of my movie boyfriends) plays the role of Linus, while Greg Kinnear is David, and Julia Ormond plays Sabrina.

This is such a cute story! Sabrina is mortified that David doesn't notice her; she also seems not to realize that he's a player. Then she travels to Paris for a fashion internship, and returns home with a new sophistication that suddenly makes David sit up and pay attention. Meanwhile, he had gotten engaged to a female doctor by the name of Elizabeth Tyson, whose father owns a company about to merge with the Larrabee Corporation....

Linus is alarmed at David's sudden interest in Sabrina, which might sabotage the wedding, and thus, the merger. So he decides to go for Sabrina himself. At first, all he wants is to save the impending marriage, as well as the merger. But then he ends up falling for Sabrina....

This sounds so much like a Harlequin novel! I know the plot is predictable and something of a cliché , but it's still enchanting! And Harrison Ford is sooo adorable....well, at least he was a totally charming hunk in 1995!

My only complaint about the 1995 version is that I wish Audrey Hepburn had been able to play Sabrina. I would have loved to see her paired with Harrison, instead of Humphrey. In other words, I wish she had been closer to Harrison's generation. She was such a great actress! Still, I did enjoy Julia Ormond's performance. (I have seen both versions, and really like them both, but do have a slight preference for the more recent one, because of Harrison....)

It's really too bad this movie was not based on a book, or that someone didn't adapt it to novel form, as has been done with other movies. If someone ever decided to do so sometime in the future, I would definitely read it! 



For Further Information
Wikipedia (1995 film)
Wikipedia (1954 film)

  


 

Next Week's Question

Undiscovered talent -- tell us about a book you loved, but no one else 
seems to have heard of it.
It can be new or old, any genre.
Let's spread the love.


Contributed by
Becky's Barmy Book Blog




These are my follow preferences.
The links are in my sidebar.








 Be sure to visit the rest of the
participating blogs!!


15 comments:

  1. Oooh, Sabrina, lovely choice! I always watched the Harrison Ford version and swooned! ;-) I agree that Audrey Hepburn was amazing. Nobody else quite like her! :-D Old follower.

    My FF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh your blog is so pretty! I just came over from Parajunkee's linky thing, cus I thought the name of your blog was nice :)

    New follower, subscribed through email!!

    Caroline @ Just Another Bookish Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sabrina is a great choice! I'd love to read that.

    Old follower via GFC!
    Kristen @ One Chapter Ahead

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Baggins!

    Yes, this is such a sweet romantic comedy! And Harrison Ford was definitely swoon-worthy back then!!

    Audrey Hepburn was an amazing actress! I don't think Humphrey Bogart was that good a match for her, though. It turns out that Cary Grant had been offered the role, but he declined it. He would definitely have made a better match for Audrey!

    Thanks for stopping by and commenting!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Caroline!

    Oh, thank you for complimenting my blog! Music to my ears! As you can see, I LOVE the color blue!

    As for the blog name, I was inspired by the title of a Shakespeare play -- "A Midsummer Night's Dream". And I love the idea of dreaming about books!

    Thanks for following and commenting!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Kristen!

    Oh, I love this movie! I especially love Harrison Ford!

    Thanks for dropping by and commenting!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't watched the movies but if Harison Ford is in one of them, I'm tempted to do so! Old follower :)
    Thank you for commenting on my blog, I'm glad we feel the same. (so I'm not the only one crying my eyes out)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Alexandra!

    Oh, you should DEFINITELY see the Harrison Ford version! I know you'll be just as enchanted as I was!

    I now we're not the only ones crying our eyes out over "Ghost". I think any romantic female (some aren't that romantic) would get just as emotional over this movie. It's just a great tearjerker!

    You're very welcome for my visit and comment! Thanks so much for returning the favor!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Audrey Hepburn (in the few movies I've seen her in anyway) and I'd love to spend a day just marathon-ing a bunch of her movies, haha! This one looks really good, nice choice :) And thanks for visiting my blog! Old bloglovin' follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love both Sabrina movies! I can't decide which hero I like better. Bogart or Ford? Tough, tough choice! New follower via bloglovin' Here's my FFF: http://wp.me/p5Q4Dh-Or

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, there!

    Audrey Hepburn was definitely an AWESOME actress!! All her performances shine! I need to watch the 1954 version of "Sabrina" again, to enjoy her acting in it!

    I have to say that the 1995 version is great mostly because of my boy Harrison! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE him!!!

    I do own the 1995 version, and have just ordered the 1954 version, which, to my great surprise, I found out was not in my collection.

    You're very welcome for my visit and comment!! Thanks for returning the favor!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Nell!

    You know, I have the same problem.....although at the moment, I'm leaning toward my honey -- Harrison!! I used to have a crush on Bogie, though, when I was a teen.

    I've just discovered that I don't own the 1954 movie (surprising, since I LOVE romantic comedies!), so I went over to Amazon and ordered it. Gotta watch both movies again!!

    Thanks for dropping by and commenting!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sabrina! I LOVE Harrison Ford's version! That's an awesome pick -- I need to watch the original though. I always wondered about it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, Verushka!

    I LOVE his version, too!! Well, I LOVE him...lol. But this version is definitely GREAT! I saw the original 1954 film several years ago, and it was really good, mostly because of Audrey Hepburn. I thought that Bogart was a bit too old for her. But I still enjoyed it.

    Thanks so much for commenting back!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, Fhina!

    Don't feel 'dumb' because you've never heard of this movie! I think most of the participants in this blog hop haven't, either, which is why I included a plot synopsis in my post. I just happen to be a film buff (although I prefer to review books instead of, or in addition to, movies), so I've seen both versions.

    If you don't like classics, then I encourage you to watch the 1995 version of this movie. Harrison Ford is such GREAT eye candy.....and his performance is wonderful! I really think you'd enjoy it, so I'm recommending this movie to you!

    Thanks so much for commenting back!! : )

    ReplyDelete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)