Saturday, May 2, 2015

Shelf Candy Saturday #148: End of Days, by Susan Ee




Welcome to Shelf Candy Saturday!!


This is my weekly feature
showcasing beautiful book covers!
It also provides information,
if available, on their very talented creators!

For more information
about Shelf Candy Saturday,
simply go HERE.



Here's my choice for this week!




End of Days 
(Penryn & The End of Days, Book 3)
Trade Paperback, 344 pages
Skyscape, May 12, 2015
Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, 
Science Fiction, Young Adult Fiction


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23901077-end-of-days





My Thoughts About This Cover

Complex, detailed covers usually catch my attention, rather than more simply designed ones. The cover above is a notable exception.

This cover's stunning impact is exclusively due to the 'explosion' of angel feathers in the upper half of the image. The feathers themselves are detailed enough to let the viewer know what they are; this is in keeping with the overall simplicity of the design. 

The bright burst of light on the feathers located on the right-hand side gives the illusion of movement to all of the feathers, and also breaks up any monotony in the image. The illusion of movement is also heightened by the feathers floating away.

The gradation of color in the background is beautifully done, as well. The textured look of the background also works very well with the subtle variations in tone.

Complementing the image perfectly is the  font used for the title. It's dramatic, and very aesthetically pleasing. It also has a decidedly futuristic feel.

The brilliant creator of this great cover is Sammy Yuen, a graphic designer who has created gorgeous book covers for many  YA bestsellers, and is based in New York City. He has just joined the list of my favorite book illustrators!



Online Links


   


What do you think of my 
choice this week?
Please leave a comment
and let me know!







2 comments:

  1. This is another great cover Maria.

    Combing the picture with the title conveys such an ominous feeling here. I get the sense that something has gone terribly wrong. This may be my own perception as scattered feathers generally gives me that impression.

    I tend to like simple and understated pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Brian!

      It certainly is! And you're right -- it DOES have an ominous feeling, in spite of the soft-colored background. I don't think it's only your own perception; now that you've mentioned this, I see it, as well.

      As I stated in the post, I do prefer more complex, detailed images. Occasionally, though, a simpler image will catch my eye. Yuen's covers do tend toward simplicity, but they're all eye-catching, so I will be featuring more of them in the future!

      Thanks for the great comment!! : )

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)