Saturday, April 13, 2013

Shelf Candy Saturday #64: Sophie's World, by Jostein Gaarder





Welcome to
Shelf Candy Saturday!!

This weekly event,
hosted at
A Night's Dream of Books,
features beautiful book covers!


If you'd like to participate, just grab my button (or create your own), write your own post, and link up in the Linky widget at the bottom of this post.  (Just click on "Read more" so that the entire post will open up.)

If you can find information on the designer, artist, and/or photographer, you can definitely include it.  It's not required, though.  You can simply display a beautiful cover, and tell us why you love it!



 Here's my choice for this week!



(Paulette Moller, Translator)
Hardcover, 518 pages
Perfection Learning
January 1. 2010
(first published in 1991)
Literary Fiction, Philosophy


Why do I love this cover?


This is a mystical, magical cover, with an interesting juxtaposition of elements.  They're perfectly balanced, too.  The background color -- mostly a very greenish aqua in various shades -- is just gorgeous!  It also sets off the rest of the objects in the cover quite well.

Western philosophy is symbolized by the statue of Socrates, the great Greek philosopher, in the bottom left-hand corner, while Eastern philosophy is represented by the statue of Buddha, in the upper right-hand corner.  Thus, equal importance is given to each. 


The other elements are obviously symbolic, as well, although I'm not quite sure what they all represent.  I know that the apples at the top left-hand corner of the cover probably refer to the golden apple, which is famous in Greek and Norse mythology.  I'm not sure what the bird refers to, though.  The clock with the Roman numerals probably alludes to the strong influence of ancient Greek and Roman philosophy in Western thought, despite the passage of time.

I also love all of the little stars "raining" down over the right-hand side of the cover.  To me, they suggest the themes of infinity and eternity.

Unfortunately, I don't have any information on the cover artist, since I don't own this book.  When I saw this cover on Goodreads, I knew that I had to feature it, though!


  

Purchase Links
(hardcover edition)
(paperback edition)
(paperback edition)







What do you think of my choice?
What beautiful cover(s)
are you featuring this week?








2 comments:

  1. Another great cover Maria!

    I had never heard of this book but I looked it up and it sounds very different. It sounds like a great novel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, brian!

      Oh, this is DEFINITELY a GORGEOUS cover! It's interesting how harmoniously all the elements go together, too.

      I have a paperback copy of this book somewhere, but I haven't read it. Now I want this hardcover!!

      I know this will be a FASCINATING novel! The author is a Norwegian intellectual, and this book is his most famous work.

      Here's some information about him, from Goodreads:

      "Jostein Gaarder is a Norwegian intellectual and author of several novels, short stories and children's books. Gaarder often writes from the perspective of children, exploring their sense of wonder about the world. He often uses metafiction in his works, writing stories within stories.

      Gaarder was born into a pedagogical family. His best known work is the novel Sophie's World, subtitled A Novel about the History of Philosophy. This popular work has been translated into fifty-three languages; there are over thirty million copies in print, with three million copies sold in Germany alone."

      As always, thanks for a WONDERFUL comment!! :)

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)