Friday, March 29, 2013

The Friday 56 #1: The Robe, by Lloyd C. Douglas






This is a blog hop hosted by
Freda @ Freda's Voice.

Here are the participation rules:

* Grab a book -- any book.
* Turn to page 56.
* Find any sentence (or a few,
just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
* Post it.
* Add your post url (not your home page
url) to the Linky widget HERE.


In honor of Good Friday, and following
aobibliosphere's excellent example,
I have picked a great spiritual classic!




Hardcover, 512 pages
Peter Davies
January 1, 1954
Christian Fiction, Historical Fiction


From page 56:

After the evening meal had been disposed of, and his immediate duties performed, Demetrius had stretched out on the ground in the shadow of the Commander's tent -- a quite imposing tent, larger than the others, trimmed with red flouncing, red silk curtains at the entrance and a canopy over the doorway supported by slanting spear-shafts.  With his fingers interlaced behind his head, Demetrius lay gazing up at the stars, marveling at their uncommon brightness, and effortlessly listening to the subdued voices of his master and Paulus, lounging in camp-chairs under the gaudy canopy.






An inside illustration from
this beautiful collector's edition.



Online Links









8 comments:

  1. hola Maria! first of all, welcome to Friday 56! i'm glad you joined us on this weekly meme.
    second, thank you for the mention. i love your post. The Robe is a spiritual classic and you have a beautiful collector's edition with you.
    last but not least, i wish you and yours a HAPPY EASTER! Dios te bendiga amiga!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola, mi amigo Ao!!

    Thanks for the welcome!! And you're very welcome, too, for the mention in my post! I got inspired to create the post thanks to YOU!!!

    Yes, this is indeed a BEAUTIFUL collector's edition! I bought it on eBay. Actually, I have three different editions of this book -- two hardcovers, and one trade paperback. Of course, I decided to feature the collector's edition in the post!

    I wish you and your family a HAPPY EASTER as well!! Que Dios te bendiga a ti tambien, amigo!! Thank you for your lovely thoughts, and for commenting back!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds, by the size of his tent, that he was a man of great importance.
    Happy easter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Freda!

    Oh, I'm sure he was! Since I read this book years ago, I wouldn't be able to tell you for sure. I must definitely read it again, because it's a true classic!

    Thanks for commenting, and Happy Easter to you, too!! " _

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love love your pick :) Happy Easter!

    http://guiltlessreading.blogspot.ca/2013/03/friday-56-bookbeginnings-ghosts-of.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Aloi!

    I'm so glad you love it! This is truly a great book!!

    Thanks for commenting, and Happy Easter to you, too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Friday 56 concept is a great idea and I wish that I had a little more time as I would participate.

    Great choice for a book at this time of year.

    The artwork does look spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Brian!

    Yes, it really is a great idea! I do wish you'd participate!!

    I read this book years ago, and I think it's definitely due for a re-reading!

    This is another of my eBay finds. I love the artwork, too! AND, it came with a mylar cover!! Of course, this bibliophile was ECSTATIC!!!

    Thanks for commenting!! :)

    ReplyDelete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)