Saturday, February 16, 2013

Stacking The Shelves #4




This is a weekly book meme/blog hop hosted by Jennifer, Lili, Stephanie, and Tynga @ Tynga's ReviewsAs the title implies, this is all about sharing the books you're adding to your shelves, be they physical or virtual.  For the complete rules and to sign up, just click on the link above.




This week's haul!





Books Bought:



The Hugo Winners: Volume 4 (1976 - 1979)
Isaac Asimov, Roger Zelazny, Larry Niven, Fritz Leiber, Spider Robinson, James Tiptree, Jr., Joe, Haldeman, Jeanne Robinson
Hardcover, 561 pages
Doubleday Books, March 1, 1985
Science Fiction
GoodreadsStories Included: Home is the Hangman by Roger Zelazny; The Borderland of Sol by Larry Niven; Catch that Zeppelin! By Fritz Leiber; By Any Other Name by Spider Robinson; Houston, Houston, Do You Read? By James Tiptree, Jr. ; The Bicentennial Man by Isaac Asimov; Tricentennial by Joe Haldeman; Stardance by Spider and Jeanne Robinson & several others.





(The Captive #1)
Erica Stevens
Trade Paperback, 164 pages
CreateSpace, June 17, 2012
Paranormal Romance, Urban Fantasy
 Goodreads: Captured, taken from her beloved family and woods, Aria’s biggest fear is not the imminent death facing her, but that she will be chosen as a blood slave for a member of the ruling vampire race. Torn between her loyalties to the rebellion, and her growing love for her greatest enemy, Aria struggles to decide between everything she has ever known, and a love she never dreamed of finding.




The Best from Fantasy & Science Fiction: A Special 25th Anniversary Anthology
Edward L. Ferman, editor
Hardcover, 336 pages
Doubleday Books, August 1, 1974
Science Fiction
Goodreads:  * When You Care, When You Love / Theodore Sturgeon Sep ’62; -Theodore Sturgeon by Judith Merril; -Sturgeon Bibliography by Sam Moskowitz;
* To the Chicago Abyss / Ray Bradbury May ’63; -Ray Bradbury by William F. Nolan; -Bradbury Bibliography by William F. Nolan;
* The Key / Isaac Asimov Oct ’66; -Isaac Asimov [“You Can’t Beat Brains”] by L. Sprague de Camp; -Asimov Bibliography
* Ship of Shadows / Fritz Leiber F&SF Jul ’69; -Fritz Leiber by Judith Merril; -Leiber Bibliography by Al Lewis;
* The Queen of Air and Darkness / Poul Anderson Apr ’71; -Poul Anderson by Gordon R. Dickson; -Anderson Bibliography;
* Midsummer Century / James Blish Apr ’72; -James Blish ·by Robert A. W. Lowndes; -Blish Bibliography by Mark Owings




Donald Wollheim, editor
Hardcover, 245 pages
Daw, 1074, SFBC
Science Fiction
 Goodreads:  "A Suppliant in Space" by Robert Sheckley
"Parthen" by R.A. Lafferty
"Doomship" by Frederik Pohl & Jack Williamson
"Weed of Time" by Norman Spinrad
"A Modest Genius" by Vadim Shefner
"The Deathbird" by Harlan Ellison
"Evane" by E.C. Tubb
"Moby, Too" by Gordon Eklund
"Death & Imagination Among the Asadi" by Michael Bishop
"Construction Shack" by Clifford D. Simak.





Received For Review
(from the author)



(Daughters of the Jaguar #1)
Willow Rose
Trade Paperback, 447 pages
DMC, June 14, 2012
Paranormal Romance, Urban Fantasy,
YA (Mature Teens)
Goodreads:

 The year is 1983. Christian is 22 years old when he leaves his home in Denmark to spend a year in Florida with a very wealthy family and go to med-school. A joyful night out with friends is shattered by an encounter with a savage predator that changes his life forever. Soon he faces challenges he had never expected. A supernatural gift he has no idea how to embrace. A haunting family in the house next door. A spirit-filled girl who seems to carry all the answers. An ancient secret hidden in the swamps of Florida. One life never the same. One love that becomes an obsession. Two destinies that will be forever entangled.



Amazon Purchase Links
 The Hugo Winners: Volume 4
Captured
The Best From Fantasy & Science Fiction
The 1974 Annual World's Best SF
Savage



What do you think of my haul?
What books have you stacked
on your shelves this week?



11 comments:

  1. Maria you got a lot of books that are new to me. I see that you got a paper copy of Savage. I love the cover for it. Nice haul. Come check out mine as well.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Grace!

    Well, I don't know if most of the participants in this hop read SF, but decided to feature these books anyway. Science fiction is really great reading, so, if you've never tried it, I encourage you to do so! I'm a die-hard Trekkie, and I've loved SF forever!!

    As you can see, I love paranormal novels, as well. I agree that the cover of "Savage" is gorgeous. I'm so glad I got the print copy, too! As you know, I can't stand e-books!!

    Glad you like my haul! I'm coming over to check out yours. Thanks for dropping by and commenting!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Savage looks fab, Maria! Hope you enjoy it and the rest of your haul! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those old collections of Hugo Award winners must contain some great stuff. I think that I read The Bicentennial Man a long long time ago. I do know if I read any of the other stories but the list of authors is a who's who of great science fiction writers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Kara!

    Yeah, I can't wait to read that one! As for the rest of the books, I'm a die-hard SF fan, so I know I'll enjoy them, especially since there are classic stories in these books!

    I'll be checking out your haul. Thanks for commenting!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome haul Maria! All of these titles are new to me but they sound pretty cool. I really want to check out Captured, I love anything involving vampires! Happy reading, and thanks so much for stopping by my post earlier! =D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Brian!

    I got the SF books on eBay, but they're also available on Amazon. I got them precisely because of the great writers listed in the contents!

    I read "The Bicentennial Man" years ago, but don't remember much of it, so I'll definitely read it again!

    You know, I really should be reading more SF, since I LOVE it so much!!

    Thanks for dropping by and commenting on my haul!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Shanon!

    I LOVE science fiction, and should really be reading more of it! I was so happy to find these books on eBay, because they're all SF classics!!!

    I discovered "Captured" while browsing on Amazon, I read the synopsis, and was instantly hooked! When it came in, I started skimming through it, and liked it so much, I've already ordered the next two books in the trilogy!!

    You're very welcome for my stop, and thanks for commenting back!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello my friend!

    It has been a while. Como estas? I see that you got some great books to add to your shelves. Savage looks interesting. I'll be waiting for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, Vonnie!

    Yeah, I have to go over and see what's new at your blog!

    I know "Savage" looks good; I've skimmed it, and I really like it!

    Thanks so much for dropping by and commenting!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great haul, love the look of Savage.

    ReplyDelete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)