Sunday, June 24, 2012

Anna Karenina Read-Along: July 1 to July 31, 2012




I'm joining another great read-along!  This time, we'll be reading a classic of Russian literature, written by none other than Leo Tolstoy.  The read-along is being hosted by Stephanie, whose blog, Five Alarm Book Reviews, never fails to bring readers interesting blog posts!

For more details, as well as to sign up for this blog hop, just click on the image above. 


About The Book
(From the Goodreads Synopsis)


Anna Karenina tells of the doomed love affair between the sensuous and rebellious Anna and the dashing officer, Count Vronsky. Tragedy unfolds as Anna rejects her passionless marriage and must endure the hypocrisies of society. Set against a vast and richly textured canvas of nineteenth-century Russia, the novel's seven major characters create a dynamic imbalance, playing out the contrasts of city and country life and all the variations on love and family happiness. While previous versions have softened the robust, and sometimes shocking, quality of Tolstoy's writing, Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky have produced a translation true to his powerful voice. This award-winning team's authoritative edition also includes an illuminating introduction and explanatory notes. Beautiful, vigorous, and eminently readable, this Anna Karenina will be the definitive text for generations to come.

"Pevear and Volokhonsky are at once scrupulous translators and vivid stylists of English, and their superb rendering allows us, as perhaps never before, to grasp the palpability of Tolstoy's 'characters, acts, situations.'" (James Wood, The New Yorker)


Post and Reading Schedule


Announcement Post:
Now through July 1st

First Post: Parts 1 and 2
July 7th

Second Post: Parts 3 and 4
July 14th

Third Post: Parts 5 and 6
July 21st

Fourth Post: Parts 7 and 8
July 28th

Final Review
July 31st


This will be a fabulous opportunity for those of us who love to read classics, as well as anyone who enjoys reading them from time to time.  So please do consider joining in! 




















14 comments:

  1. I am so happy that you are joining us. You are in good company. The group are a mix of fabulous bloggers and blog followers. Your post is beautiful. The book looks even better against the black background. Thank you for your kind complement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for welcoming me, Steph, as well as for complimenting this post!! I'm really looking forward to joining all of you wonderful people for this read-along! And you're more than welcome for the compliment!! You deserve it!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excited for the read along! It'll be fun! <3
    -heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, it definitely will! Thanks for dropping by!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really, really need to get to Tolstoy soon. I am so deficient when it comes to the Russian Novelists. I do however love Chekov. I have a bit too much going on to join the read along thing however.Have you read anything else by Tolstoy?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Brian! No, I must admit I've never read anything by Tolstoy, or Chekov, for that matter... However, I have read one Russian masterpiece, "Crime and Punishment", by Dostoyevsky. That was an amazing book! I, too, have to read more Russian masterpieces. Thanks for the comment!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've decided to join this one too. I know I'm going to be sorry, but I just can't resist. ;O)

    I've kind of lost touch with you and your blog over the months, but I'm subscribing now via email (Google Reader gives me hives..lol) so I can see your posts more regularly.

    Also, Christmas in July is coming to The Christmas Spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hola amiga! thank you for your post. i'll be participating as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Michelle!

    Oh, it's so great to have you visit!! Gotta swing by the True Book Addict ASAP! And by The Christmas Spirit, too!!

    I'm so glad you're joining this read-along!! YAY!!

    Thanks for the visit and the comment!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hola, Ao!! Oh, it's TERRIFIC that you're participating!! YAY!!! Thank you so much for dropping by and commenting!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool Blog! this sounds so fun!!

    http://thecrossbreeds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Shady Lane!

    Thank you so much for complimenting my blog!! Music to my ears!!

    This read-along will definitely be great fun! Are you going to join in? I'll go over to your blog and see!

    Thanks for dropping by and commenting!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cool! Ana Karenina... To be honest, I've not read it yet but I love the few Russian authors I'm familiar with. I hope you enjoy this book, Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, Ron!

    Would you believe I've never read Tolstoy? I'm almost embarrassed to admit it... Well, that won't last long!

    Thanks for the comment!1 : )

    ReplyDelete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)