Friday, January 27, 2012

TGIF at GReads #4: Buy or Borrow?



It's TGIF time!!!!

Happy Friday,
Fellow Book Lovers!!!!!


This blog hop is hosted by Ginger,
at the awesome 


Each Friday, a question is posted, and the 
week's blog posts are re-capped.
To join in the fun,
just publish your own post,
and then link up to the hosting blog's hop page!



Here's this week's question:


Buy or Borrow:
Where do the books that you read
come from? The bookstore? 
The library?
Do you prefer to own a book,
or have it on loan?



Oh, I definitely have to own my books!!  For me, there's no other option.  Furthermore, my books have to be the printed versions.  I absolutely refuse to read ebooks!  I don't want a Kindle or a Nook.  I need to own a physical book.  So, there are lots of them all over our apartment, which drives my non-bookworm husband to distraction sometimes...

I can still remember the first time I went to the library with my mom, at the age of eleven.  One of the books I picked out was a collection of Arabian fairy tales (I think it might have been the Arabian Nights, simplified for children).  Well, I really got attached to that book!  So, the day we had to go return it was a sad one for me.  I had to say good-bye to a book I had already started to love as my own... 

I did continue to go to libraries after this initial experience, but I told myself that I'd start collecting books as soon as I was old enough to make my own money.  Thus my personal library got started, and just grew and grew... I haven't been to a public library in years!  (Another reason I stopped going was the...er...rather large late fines I used to get...)

I buy most of my books online -- from either Amazon, eBay, or The Book Depository.  However, from time to time, I do visit my local Barnes & Noble.  Occasionally I go to a great indie bookstore, Books & Books, which is in the same area of the city as B&N.  Books & Books is great because it hosts author events 365 days a year!  Of course, I only attend if I'm interested in the book and the author.  Authors present their books, answer questions from the audience, and then have a signing session, in which attendees can get their picture taken with the author!  I haven't gone to one of these in a while, though, because books purchased at these events are more expensive...

I don't like to read books borrowed from other people, either, nor do I lend mine out.  Once, in high school, I lent a classmate a paperback copy of my very favorite book, Jane Eyre.  Needless to say, when I got it back, it wasn't in the same condition...  I haven't lent anyone one of my treasures again!!

By the way, since I'm so possessive with my books, I make sure they're officially mine.  I print (by hand) my name and the year of purchase on the inside front cover, if the book's a paperback.  If it's a hardcover, I paste a bookplate on the first page, next to the inside front cover.    Oh, and I love to laminate my books, too!  I buy rolls of plastic laminate from Amazon, and cover my books with it. 

Yes, I'm an obsessed bibliophile.  I freely admit it!   And I have proof.  Just take a look...






These are all on top of my night table,
as well as part of the headboard.




Floor to ceiling bookshelves in our bedroom!




These are on top of my dresser!







This week at
 A Night's Dream of Books


Book Recommendations

Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte


Wishlist Wednesday #1
Magician: Apprentice,
by Raymond E. Feist









18 comments:

  1. I have a Kindle and iPad, and I do buy some ebooks but, if I really love a book, I get a hard copy to go with it as well. There really is nothing like holding a book in your hands.

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Steph! Happy Friday to you, too! Yes, there's nothing like holding a REAL book in your hands!!!! What a blissul experience...

    Thanks for commenting! I'm going over to check out your TGIF!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, I loved the picures. I can't believe how many books you have. I am getting a little over run too. I have to own a book, there is not other option.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    Jennifer @ Reading and Writing Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's brilliant that you take care of your books so well. I'm on a mission to properly label all my books this year - so hopefully that happens!

    And I can definitely agree: there's NOTHING like holding an actual book in your hands. Like Stephanie, I have a Kindle and an iPad and while they're useful, I still find it soothing to be holding/carrying around an actual book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow..you do have a lot of books!
    I liked this post! Expecially the part when you talk about your history with books.
    If you're interested in a being a guest poster on my blog, tell me.I love your story telling skills :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You got more shelf-space trouble than even I do, girl, and that's saying something!

    Which doesn't mean to say that I'd not love to have my house like yours -sigh-

    Unfortunately, I've to either borrow or buy digital to keep up with my needs, while avoiding death treats from my family. Lucky you!

    Ron @ Stories of my life

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Jennifer!

    You're very welcome for the visit!

    Yes, I do indeed have A LOT of books...believe me, though, this is just a small sample. I think I'd scare people if I posted pictures of the entire apartment! Lol.

    I'm glad you feel the way I do about owning books. I'd say most bookworms would agree!

    Thanks for commenting! Happy Friday!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Tanya! Yes, I know...and these pictures show only a PART of my collection...

    Thanks for commenting! Happy Friday!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Alexa!

    Thanks for the compliment! Yes, they're my babies, so I enjoy taking good care of them!

    WOW. You're going to label ALL your books? That's very ambitious of you! I wish you the best of luck!

    I'm so glad you agree that there's nothing like holding a REAL book in one's hands!! I just hope that physical books NEVER disappear!!

    Thanks for commenting! Happy Friday!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Daydreamer:

    Hi! Thank you so much for such a wonderful comment!! Yes, I'd definitely be interested in doing a guest post! I'm honored!!

    Thanks for following my blog, as well!! Happy Friday!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, Ron!

    Oh, believe me, my husband and I have gotten into some seriousl arguments about all the space taken up by my books! There's one couch in the living room with mountains of books on it. Of course, there's no room to sit on that couch... There are also floor-to-ceiling bookshelves in the living room!

    I guess I'll have to try to do something to curtail my book buying... That's going to be VERY hard, though, with all the tempting YA titles that are constantly coming out!!!

    On the other hand, I can try my luck at the state lottery again (haven't played in a while). If I hit the jackpot, I can buy a mansion that I will then be able to fill up with even MORE books!! Lol.

    Thanks for commenting!! Happy Friday!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anytime you want is fine with me :D
    Send me an email rallu.93 (on gmail) with what you want the post to be about...when you decide...i want to post an announcement before :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay, Daydreamer! Sounds great!! Thanks!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. hahaha that is great! My fiance isn't a book lover either so same here :-P Thats cool you have a B&N close... my B&N is an hour away so I never go.. although when I go to Vermont to see my family I usually hit that one because i like it a lot better and it has Used books! Great post! Happy friday and thanks for visiting my post! i commented back on my blog so check it out ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, Christie! Thanks for commenting back,and thanks as well for complimenting my post! You're SO lucky to be living up there... I've never even seen snow up close and personal in my life! So sick of this humid Florida heat!!! Lol.

    Going to check out your reply to my comment on your blog now! Happy Friday!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the picks of your books. I can think of worse things to be surrounded by.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey, there, Steph!

    I'm entirely surrounded, and LOVE it!! And you're absolutely right -- there are worse things to be surrounded by! Books are my sacred treasures!!!!

    Thank you so much for the wonderful comment!! Have a TERRIFIC weekend!! : )

    ReplyDelete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)