Sunday, January 29, 2012

On My Bookshelves #16




My weekend book meme
highlights books that I own,
but have somehow
never gotten to,
as well as those wonderful books
I would love to re-read!!




Here's my special list
for this week!






Hardcover, 288 pages
Viking
December 1, 1996
Genre: Historical Fiction

From the Goodreads Synopsis

Hatchepsut was a remarkable woman. Born the eldest daughter of King Tuthmosis I, married to her half-brother Tuthmosis II, and guardian of her young stepson-nephew Tuthmosis III, Hatchepsut, the Female Pharaoh, brilliantly defied tradition and established herself on the divine throne of the pharaohs.

Joyce Tyldesley provides the reader with an intriguing insight into life within the claustrophobic Theban royal family in early 18th Dynasty Egypt.


I love the ancient Egyptian culture,
and this novelized portrayal
of a woman who dared to defy tradition
should prove fascinating reading!
I will certainly try to get to it
before this year is out!







Trade Paperback, 304 pages
Harper Voyager
May 11, 2004
(first published 1967)
Genre: Science Fiction

From the Goodreads Synopsis

Earth is long since dead. On a colony planet, a band of men has gained control of technology, made themselves immortal, and now rule their world as the gods of the Hindu pantheon. Only one dares oppose them: he who was once Siddhartha and is now Mahasamatman. Binder of Demons, Lord of Light.


I couldn't find the actual edition I own
on Goodreads,
so I picked this one, because of the
beautiful cover.
Zelazny is one of the recognized masters
of the SF genre, and I've owned
this book for a while now.
Sure looks like interesting reading!







Hardcover, 368 pages
Katherine Tegen Books
August 1, 2009
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance

From the Goodreads Synopsis

Wyldcliffe Abbey School for Young Ladies, housed in a Gothic mansion on the bleak northern moors, is elite, expensive, and unwelcoming. When Evie Johnson is torn away from her home by the sea to become the newest scholarship student, she is more isolated than she could have dreamed.

Evie's only lifeline is Sebastian, a rebellious, mocking, dangerously attractive young man she meets by chance. As Evie's feelings for Sebastian grow with each secret meeting, she starts to fear that he is hiding something about his past...


This might sound like the typical YA romance,
but I can't help it -- I just
love this kind of thing!
A mysterious Gothic setting,
a dark hero, and
a lonely heroine...
I'm thinking there's just might be
a tortured male vamp involved...









2 comments:

  1. I saw that you have Spy Glass by Maria V. Snyder on your header at the top of the page!! I loved that series! Are you liking it??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Stephanie!

    Actually, I haven't read it yet...I put it up there because I think the cover is so beautiful!! I'll probably be featuring it in one of the Shelf Candy Saturday posts. As you might know, I'm CRAZY about the color blue. (Just look at this blog, lol!)

    Anyway...I'm interested in reading this book, as well as the sequel. I own them both!

    Have you read this one yourself?

    Thanks for commenting!! : )

    ReplyDelete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)