Sunday, January 15, 2012

On My Bookshelves #14




My weekend book meme
highlights books that I own,
but have somehow
never gotten to,
as well as those wonderful books
I would love to re-read!!




Here's my special list
for this week!





James Fenimore Cooper
Paperback, 420 pages
Pocket Books
September 1, 1992
(first published 1826)
Genre: Classic, Literary Fiction

From the Goodreads Synopsis

It is 1757.  Through layers of conflict, Cooper threads a thrilling narrative, in which Cora and Alice Munro, daughters of a British commander on the front line of the colonial war, attempt to join their father. 

Thwarted by Magua, the sinister 'Indian runner', they find help in the person of Hawk-eye, the white woodsman, and his companions, the Mohican Chingachgook and Uncas, his son, the last of his tribe.


I think it's about time I read more classics!
This one is full of excitement,
as well as covering an important period
in American history.
I can't believe I have yet to read it...
This book is certainly part of every
high school literature curriculum, so I
don't know how I never got to it!






Elizabeth Gaskell
Barnes & Noble Classics
May 26, 2005
(first published 1857)
Genre: Biography

From the Goodreads Synopsis

Two years after Charlotte's death, her friend Elizabeth Gaskell, herself a well-known novelist, completed work on The Life of Charlotte Bronte, a biography that was met with immediate acclaim by readers curious to discover more about the enigmatic author of Jane Eyre.  A work of art and a well-documented interpretation of its subject, Gaskell's biography is an extraordinarily vivid and sensitive account of Bronte's outer and inner lives: her shyness and strangeness; her intense appreciation of the Bible, poetry, music, and the theater; her love of her family; and her fears of loneliness.


And it's high time I read this one, too!
Charlotte Bronte is one of my
very favorite authors,
in spite of the fact that I've only read
her masterpiece, Jane Eyre.
That one book immortalized her in
my mind,
but she did write several others,
which, alas, I also have yet to read...






Susan Vreeland
Hardcover, 352 pages
Viking Adult
February 9, 2004
(first published 2001)
Genre: Art, Biographical Fiction

From the Goodreads Synopsis

It was Emily Carr (1871–1945), not Georgia O’Keeffe or Frida Kahlo, who first blazed a path for modern women artists. Overcoming the confines of late Victorian culture, Carr became a major force in modern art. Her boldly original landscapes are praised today for capturing an untamed British Columbia and its indigenous peoples, just before industrialization would change it forever.

In her latest novel, Susan Vreeland brings to life this fiercely independent and underappreciated figure.


I also have the audiobook edition of this novel,
which I bought at Barnes & Noble,
just like the print version.
As with all the books I own, I saw this one
and knew it just had to be mine!!
I love reading books about art,
although I haven't featured any on
this blog as yet.
That will change, though!





6 comments:

  1. I have SO many books sitting on my shelf just begging to be read!! I honestly don't even remember what half of them are about!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Forest Lover is going to make it onto my weekly reading list some time this year, too. It looks so interesting - I'm especially interested in the indigenous peoples part - and it will go along with the art history course I'm taking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Steph! Yes, I have the same dilemma! There are certainly quite a few books on my shelves that I, too, don't even know about...sigh....

    Thanks for the comment!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Susie! Oh, you're SO lucky, taking an art history course!! I'm glad that this book has sparked your interest! Of course, I've told myself umpteem times that I HAVE to read it...

    Hope you enjoy this book, as well as the art history course!!

    Thanks for commenting!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. NOTE TO EVRYONE WHO COMMENTS ON THIS POST: For some reason, the "reply" and "delete" links are not working. (Not that I want to delete anyone's comments, of course!) Anyway...I will continue to reply to any and all comments by posting a comment myself. I didn't add these links to my blog; Google probably did it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charlotte is one of my favorites too. The BBC production of Jane Eyre (starring Timothy Dalton before he was 'big') was just wonderful - one of those rare series that was as good as the book.

    ReplyDelete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)