Sunday, January 8, 2012

On My Bookshelves #13




My new weekend book meme
highlights the books that I have somehow
never gotten to,
as well as those wonderful books
I would love to re-read!!




Here's my special list
for this week!





(Lost Continent #1)
Catherine Asaro
Trade Paperback, 384 pages
Luna
Published February 1, 2004
Genre: Fantasy, Romance


From the Barnes & Noble Review


Originally a novella entitled "Moonglow" in 2003's Charmed Destinies anthology, The Charmed Sphere is the much-expanded story about a reluctant mage and an equally reluctant heir. Chime is living an idyllic life with her family in the rural hamlet of Jacob's Vale. But her life is turned upside down when one of the King of Aronsdale's most trusted advisers, searching the kingdom for shape-mages, identifies her as a promising mage with powerful undeveloped ability. Chime reluctantly agrees to travel to Castle Suncroft, where she is to be trained in the art of magecraft -- and also groomed for her marriage to Prince Muller, the heir to the throne of Aronsdale! Muller is the nephew to the king, and the last thing he wants to do is get married and rule a kingdom.






(Lost Continent #2)
Catherine Asaro
Trade Paperback, 352 pages
Luna
Published July 1, 2005
Genre: Fantasy, Romance


From the Goodreads Synopsis


The promise of peace rested on this young woman's noble vow: to marry Cobalt the Dark -- heir to a family of legendary cruelty. With only her uncontrolled spells to guide her, isolated in Cobalt's solitary home in the Misted Cliffs, knowing poisoned blood ran through her husband's veins, Mel struggled to embrace her unexpected mage powers and unveil the light in her shadowy new world -- including the radiance hidden in her husband's soul. For her enemies were gathering strength and they would soon unleash the darkest of evils in the name of war.







(Lost Continent #3)
Catherine Asaro
Trade Paperback, 448 pages
Luna
Published July 1, 2006
Genre: Fantasy, Romance



From the Goodreads Synopsis

  
With no teacher to guide her, no mentor to discourage her from the impossible, Mel Dawnfield pushed her magic to its limits — and surpassed them. Only to find that her powers aren't enough to halt burgeoning rebellion within her husband's fledgling realm — or a plot devised to strike at the very heart of Mel's family.


 

I began reading the second book
in this trilogy, The Misted Cliffs,
a couple of years ago,
but did not finish it,
because I wanted to get the first
volume, and then somehow
never did...

I have owned all three of them
for some time now,
so I'm getting them under
my belt this year!

(And oh, these book covers
are luscious, especially
the first one!)




For more information on
this Nebula Award-winning author,
who is a former physics professor
and ballerina,
visit the following sites:









Catherine Asaro
(Born 1955)




5 comments:

  1. This story sounds interesting. I'd be afraid to try it, though. Not until I know for sure that these books aren't excuse for romance! I know last year I picked up a couple of fantasy themes by women because premise sounded so good, and ended up throwing them away only after the first chapter or two, because I realised it was just a Harlequin-like romance with fantasy elements thrown in. :(

    Btw, the books covers are lovely, and there's only one artist I know of that could have done them -- Stephanie Pui-Mun Law. HERE'S her website in case you're interested in exploring her stuff a bit more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The covers are great! I have to say that I understand - and almost share!- Risa's fears... My excuse is more about lack of time and huuuuge TBR piles, but anyway, they do look interesting!

    Good choice, Maria!

    Ron @ Stories of my life

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Risa!

    Well, if they were Harlequin-type romances, I wouldn't mind too much, since I love romance novels! However, these are serious fantasy novels, with a romance element. It doesn't really take center stage, as it would in a bona-fide romance novel.

    Thanks for your comment! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Ron!! Yes, these are GREAT covers for this trilogy. And, as I told Risa, the books do conain serious antasy. I don't mind the romance element, as long as it doesn't overpower the story.

    Although you already have enormous TBR piles, I would still recommend this trilogy; well, a least the second voume, which is the one I've partially read.

    Thanks for the compliment!! (And the entire comment!) : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah! Then I'm willing to give them a try if I ever come across them. :D... I enjoy serious fantasy, and the romantic element does spice a fantasy up a bit. But I dislike it when it's the main focus. Thanks for sharing, Maria! :)

    ReplyDelete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)