Monday, June 13, 2011

Musing Mondays #3




This is a weekly book meme hosted by Miz B at

Each week, she poses an interesting question
related to books and reading preferences.

To join in, simply visit her blog, grab her logo,
and add your blog link in the comments section.



Today's question is:


What’s the last thing you stayed up half the night reading because it was so good you couldn’t put it down?

I definitely have to go with Lisa Bergren's Waterfall!  I really and truly couldn't stop reading until I finished.  Well, if you don't count such things ad having to go to work, having meals, and other necessities.  However, when I wasn't doing these things, I was reading this book.  I did stay up until 3:00 AM one Saturday night in order to finish it. 

The story is a beautiful fantasy, with a combination of time travel, adventure, and romance.  It revolves around two sisters, Gabriela and Evangelia Betarrini, whose parents are archaeologists.  While on an archaeological site with their mother, the sisters are accidentally transported through time to 14th-century Italy.  There, one of them, Gabriela, finds her true love, and astonishes him as well as everyone else with her expertise with a sword, as well as her uncanny ability to scale castle walls! 

Not to be outdone, her sister, Lia, shows her own expertise with bow and arrow, and is admired by her own true love, who will probably make a move in the second book, titled Cascade, which I will soon start reading!

This is an exciting fantasy trilogy, and I really can't praise it enough!


You can find my review of Waterfall HERE!!









7 comments:

  1. Time travel fantasy books are a lot of fun!

    Here's my Musing Mondays (June 13) post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,there! Thanks for the visit and the comment! I'll be checking out your MM soon! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like an amazing book. I'll have to check it out ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. +JMJ+

    I'm not doing this meme, but I wanted to be friendly and answer the question, anyway. =)

    For the past few years, I've been a huge night owl, so any book I've stayed up half the night to read is no more remarkable than a book I spent most of the afternoon reading--but there was a time I kept regular hours and was startled to see that the sky outside the window had already started to lighten with the dawn, although I hadn't yet had a wink of sleep, because the book I had started at around midnight ("Oh, I'll just read one or two chapters . . .") turned out to be impossible to put down. It was The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle. What a glorious, magical read--and a haunting gate out of a night I thought would never end and into a morning that seemingly came out of nowhere.

    I should start keeping regular hours again, just for the pleasure of having reading experiences like this! =P

    As for your own pick, Maria, it makes me think that Fantasy books have more power to keep us up in the night than more realistic reads. I haven't read any book by Lisa Bergren, but your recommendation carries much weight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Elisabeth!

    Yes, you definitely MUST do so! You certainly won't be sorry, and will probably stay up until the wee hours reading it just like I did!

    Thanks for the visit and the comment! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Enbrethiliel!

    Would you believe I own "The Last Unicorn", and have yet to read it? But then, I have soooo many books that I haven't read....my TBR pile is just HUMONGOUS!! Lol.

    Anyway, I think you've made a very accurate observation regarding fantasy novels. I agree with you -- they DO have the power to keep us up late at night reading, to a greater extent than more realistic novels do! I believe that's because most of us enjoy escaping the daily monotony of routines and duties! We want to have grand adventures, larger-than-life romances, as well as see magical wonders! Fantasy turns us into kids again. We willingly suspend our disbelief because we wish the world were really the way it is in fantasy novels!! At least I do! I'd love to be able to attend Hogwarts right along with Harry Potter and Hermione Granger! I'd love to be in Edward Cullen's arms! I'd love to tramp the hills of Middle Earth right along with Frodo and Gandalf!

    I could go on and on! I LOVE FANTASY!!! I LOVE SCIENCE FICTION!!! I LOVE YA PARANORMAL ROMANCE!!! I love, love, love anything out of the ordinary, from another planet, from amother dimension!!!

    Oh, my gosh...I think I must write a literary musing VERY soon~!! Lol.

    Thanks for the visit and the comment! (I'm off the soapbox now!) : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enbrethilier (P.S.): And thanks for the compliment!! I'm so honored that you value my opinion so highly! : )

    ReplyDelete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)